Question Can't get an answer What's the best BFS rod reel combo

I love to crappie fish but would rather use bait casting rod and reel, what's yawl take on a bait casting rod and reel for throwing 1/32/1/8 jigs? Don't mind spending some money for the right combo.

2. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I love to crappie fish but would rather use bait casting rod and reel, what's yawl take on a bait casting rod and reel for throwing 1/32/1/8 jigs? Don't mind spending some money for the right combo.

Daiwa Alphas Air TW and variants of. Gekkabijin, silver creek, etc.

Shimano aldebaran bfs.

I crappie fish with alphas and routinely throw 1/16 oz jigs just as far if not further than my buddies with fairy sticks.

3. Member
    I recently got a Daiwa Alphas Air TW and a ALX Aura. I have been playing around with it and think it will be taking the place of spinning gear for 1/16 to1/8 oz. lures. Can't wait to spend time on the water learning to fish a BFS set up. I hate spinning gear.

4. Member
    So for lower cost you might look at the Jenko Double Down BFS rod (a crappie rod company) for about $130 6’6” light made to throw crappie size baits. A budget BFS reel could include the KastKing Kestrel for around $220. I have both of these & the reel is a stand out for the $. The rod is pretty nice but, it’s not a Loomis or Megabass. I have these plus a few Aldebarans & some Lews Custom Lites. I would start with the reel & light line and add a rod later…you could use crappie rods just fine (casting models). The Kastking Kestrel is a dedicated BFS & casts a mile. The Aldebarans have BFS & not BFS models and it does make a difference. I put some 7lb Sniper fc on a new Aldebaron BFS & could sail a light Ned rig a mile. Super nice. This new light stuff is super fun! Scott
    Last edited by Okie2; 12-04-2022 at 07:10 PM.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Okie2 View Post
    KastKing Kestrel for around $220.
    No offense but please, please stop recommending the Kastking BFS when the Alphas Air TW can be had for $20 more including free shipping from digitaka!

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by reason162 View Post
    No offense but please, please stop recommending the Kastking BFS when the Alphas Air TW can be had for $20 more including free shipping from digitaka!

I have a bad wrist so I put a premium on weight. Kestrel weighs 4.4 ounces: Diawa weighs over 6 ounces so I didn’t even consider it. Was just surprised how much I liked the cheapo Kestrel. The guy just wants options.

7. Member
    I have a bad wrist so I put a premium on weight. Kestrel weighs 4.4 ounces: Diawa weighs over 6 ounces so I didn’t even consider it. Was just surprised how much I liked the cheapo Kestrel. The guy just wants options.
    The Alphas Air weighs 5.5oz, and you're right that Kastking make cheapo reels, but somehow this one costs $220 lmao

8. Member
    Thanks guys, I ordered two reels (Aldebaranes) this afternoon still undecided on rods. What’s y’all thoughts on the Cushion BFS rod, 6’10” ?

9. Member
    So for lower cost you might look at the Jenko Double Down BFS rod (a crappie rod company) for about $130 6’6” light made to throw crappie size baits. A budget BFS reel could include the KastKing Kestrel for around $220. I have both of these & the reel is a stand out for the $. The rod is pretty nice but, it’s not a Loomis or Megabass. I have these plus a few Aldebarans & some Lews Custom Lites. I would start with the reel & light line and add a rod later…you could use crappie rods just fine (casting models). The Kastking Kestrel is a dedicated BFS & casts a mile. The Aldebarans have BFS & not BFS models and it does make a difference. I put some 7lb Sniper fc on a new Aldebaron BFS & could sail a light Ned rig a mile. Super nice. This new light stuff is super fun! Scott
    Does G Loomis make a BFS rod, haven't found one yet?

10. Member
    I wish! I have a couple glx cbr’s in one power that work really well. One if my favorite rods ever made. They haven’t made in a few years.

We have two BFS rods. The OXIM Craft (BFS) and the ENOX Aura (BFS) are essentially the same design but two different types of materials and have different components. The Aura will be a little more sensitive, but the Craft is a solid option and more budget friendly. Blanks on both lines are built here.

There are a couple threads on here with guys talking about being really happy with the performance from our BFS rods.

As for reels, I still hear a lot of Alphas Air and Aldebarans. Haven't heard much about the newer US market BFS reels that have ben released.

12. Member
    If you can ever find an older Tatula model TAT6101MXB they are the best BFS rod I have ever used

13. Member
    The Poison Adrena 167L-BFS is a very fun rod, will throw 1/8 to 3/8 total payloads beautifully.

For another rod option, I've heard good things about the Dobyns Sierra Ultra Finesse, but haven't personally played around with one. Might be worth a look.