Fastbass Marine TV - 30P Prop Test LCB

The topic of prop size always interests me in the terms of how a smaller pitch prop competes against a larger prop if you have some room to run. Here I compare a 30 Max 5 vs 30 Maximus vs 32 Maximus. The 30 Maximus is a 15" prop. The 30 Maximus is an amazing 15.625". The 32 Maximus is 15.25". All 3 props start and finish in the same location in a race to see who the winner is. Since these are 3 separate passes with no trail markers it's pretty cool how the passes never overlap and stay so close.

In this test I wanted to see how long it would take for a prop that has a higher top speed to chase down a smaller pitch prop that jumped out quicker. I also look at the Maximus vs the Max 5 so it is a 2 for 1 video.

I was very impressed how quickly the 32 Maximus chased the pack down. The Max 5 is clearly a runner, however the Maximus has proven to be a solid prop on the LCB. I have a 26, 30, and 32 Maximus. I spent the entire season running the 32 and it is really my go to prop. It gets out of the hole at 2500 rpm, runs north of 110, and I can pull tubers with it all day. I have been really impressed with it and as I mentioned, I really don't have a reason to take it off. I picked up the 30P Maximus at the end of the season and will probably run that more next year.

For those that don't have a new Mercury V8, you get to see the Adaptive speed control do its thing on all 3 props.

Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Very interesting.
    Have you any info with the maximus on an Allison ?

Jay ran this 32 that I have and it didn’t work well for him. Low 90’s. It’s a lot of wheel. We have not put it on the 450 boat. Yet!.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Be nice if it did work on the 21's
    I believe it's a lot cheaper than the max 5.

Much cheaper. I think they just have too much blade vs the max 5. On the 450 they flat out roll and are one of 3 props merc approves for the motor.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

6. Member
    Do you think you could cut one down to the 15" range and get it to work like a max 5. May still be cheaper than a max 5.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

Have heard some good things about a Power Tech BRV5.
    Needs the barrel shortened for our boats.
    But much cheaper than the Max5.

Jay has the Power Tech. He loves it for holeshot and summer. Not a top speed prop.

I'm sure if I cut it down it will be right with the Max 5. That is happening this winter. Going to make it 15.5 or 15.25 and add some cup. The 32 is going to get a little more cup as well. I want the diameter, but need it a shade smaller so it doesn't rub the cavitation plate.
    Allison XB21 2+2
    Mercury 300R

Quote Originally Posted by River Rocket View Post
    Jay has the Power Tech. He loves it for holeshot and summer. Not a top speed prop.

I'm sure if I cut it down it will be right with the Max 5. That is happening this winter. Going to make it 15.5 or 15.25 and add some cup. The 32 is going to get a little more cup as well. I want the diameter, but need it a shade smaller so it doesn't rub the cavitation plate.
    Perfect for an ole man----------------------like me !

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Josh is building me a BRV5 to test, they run really well on the Bullet XRS.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Powell View Post
    Josh is building me a BRV5 to test, they run really well on the Bullet XRS.
    Have you tried their
    BRV4 Tim?