Off Season question

What is the first box that you grab to make sure is right and ready for the next time you are on the water?
    I'm not dead yet.....competition is the life blood of any human being

Hair jigs, see what I need to tie.......

May have to wait till her winter coat comes in to source the special color....

3. Member

thread made me think of this scene. One of the funniest 5sec of a show I’ve seen
    Last edited by ECobb91; 12-04-2022 at 08:59 AM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

No off season here. Winter is a fun season to fish.

5. Member
    I don't have one box with cold water lures. But, on my deck you will find a jerkbait, blade bait, hair jig, and shad rap. One or more of those will catch fish immediately after ice out. I'll also have a square bill and swimbait nearby. A lot of lures will catch fish in the cold water. If you know there are fish present, sometimes you just have to rotate through a few options to find what they want.

6. Member
    All joking aside, I’ll reorganize my jerkbait, jigs and terminal tackle box are pretty much all I carry with me early season. Sometimes crankbaits but I don’t use those often
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

I use pretty much the same baits year round … if I have confidence in it I’ll throw it. I spent too many years throwing what I read I should be throwing vs going with my gut and suffered for it.
    Ranting incoherently

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I use pretty much the same baits year round … if I have confidence in it I’ll throw it. I spent too many years throwing what I read I should be throwing vs going with my gut and suffered for it.
    This is kinda my method also. I was out yesterday and had the usuals on deck with the addition of the jerkbait which I ended up using just about 100% of the day.
    GETFISHED !!!

Quote Originally Posted by getfished View Post
    This is kinda my method also. I was out yesterday and had the usuals on deck with the addition of the jerkbait which I ended up using just about 100% of the day.
    I pretty much gave up on the jerkbait. I think the problem for me is most of my waters have poor visibility and that factor alone reduces the effectiveness of it. I don’t doubt for a second they’re a good bait but they never clicked for me.
    Ranting incoherently

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Ned
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

I usually make my baits in the off season. Then use those.

What is this off season you are talking about? Just kidding, fortunate to be able to fish year round here.
    Woody

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I pretty much gave up on the jerkbait. I think the problem for me is most of my waters have poor visibility and that factor alone reduces the effectiveness of it. I don’t doubt for a second they’re a good bait but they never clicked for me.
    What do you consider poor visibility? I tend to catch most of my jerkbait fish in pretty dingy water, generally 2-3 feet of visibility. But, sometimes certain lakes just aren't good jerkbait lakes.

14. Member
    Terminal tackle box by the end of every season it becomes a mess. I take it all out resort then make a order on what I will need for the next year.
    John the Garage Doorman