XS changes in 2018?

Was the change for the 300xs to the newer looking cowling a mid year change?

looking at a boat for sale listed with a 2018 XS but it has the older look to it.
    1997 TR18 1996 Yamaha Pro V **for sale!!**
    25m Yamaha prop, 175 exhaust tuner, higher compression heads

2016 Bullet 21XRS 250 Merc Opti

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorebeater View Post

looking at a boat for sale listed with a 2018 XS but it has the older look to it.
    Mercury documents changes by serial number and does not use "years" for outboard manufacture. So if the person bought that 2018XS in say April of 2018, it could have been manufactured in 2017. There might be a plate or code on the engine that shows the date it was built, but Don would know that. My Mercury warranty showed the date of manufacture for my 300R as April 19 / 2019, but I picked up my boat on Oct. 31 / 2019, which is 6 months after the build date.

Buyer beware !!! Know what you're getting. Not everyone keeps up as well as some.
    Had an acquaintance who purchased a new 2018 boat and motor and presumed it was a 4 stroke XS since they didn't build any 2 strokes after 2017. Soon after getting home his partner educated him on the fact, it was a 2-stroke built in 2016 but titled as a 2018 in the year it was sold.
    Perfectly legal but in this case a little unethical. Took a lawyer and about a year but he got his 4 stroke.

4. Member

I am not sure what you mean but, perhaps defining the nomenclature might help. A Mercury 300XS is a 3.2 liter, Optimax built by Mercury Racing. The "XS" on Optimax engines signifies Mercury Racing. I am not aware of a cowling change for this motor. Does this help?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Buyer beware !!! Know what you're getting. Not everyone keeps up as well as some.
    Had an acquaintance who purchased a new 2018 boat and motor and presumed it was a 4 stroke XS since they didn't build any 2 strokes after 2017. Soon after getting home his partner educated him on the fact, it was a 2-stroke built in 2016 but titled as a 2018 in the year it was sold.
    Perfectly legal but in this case a little unethical. Took a lawyer and about a year but he got his 4 stroke.
    Just in the interest of accuracy and perhaps keeping down confusion there is no 4 stroke XS. If the dealer sold your friend an XS motor it was by definition an Optimax built by Mercury Racing. I am not sure why Mercury did not change the nomenclature on the 4 strokes. For clarification:
    An XS Optimax is a 2 stroke built (or marketed) by Mercury Racing. A ProXS can be either a 2 stroke or 4 stroke and they are built by Mercury Marine. When Mercury dropped the Optimax they kept the Pro(duction)XS name for the new 4 strokes. Mercury racing dropped the "XS" and added an "R". I hope this is helpful.

6. Member
    I bought my 17 pro xs in June of 18 sold as a 18 but once I registered it they reg. It as a 17 because they dont come with title it comes with statement of origin. I see on the for sale ,shops selling new 23s and I now know there 22s models and asking big bucks .that's how my state does it

Know what you're buying. Easily confused for the average weekend angler. One on left is 2 stroke. V8 four stoke on the right.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Know what you're buying. Easily confused for the average weekend angler. One on left is 2 stroke. V8 four stoke on the right.
    ^^^^^^ This.

And this post right here is one of the biggest reasons that Engine Serial Numbers are REQUIRED when posting here in the forums. Quite likely that we're not even talking about a 4-stroke engine!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor