Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Member
    I have changed a few things in my daily list of 'vendors' because of this exact thing. I drive 30 miles to have my vehicle serviced rather than 4 miles. There is a garage mechanic who works on my boats and a private contractor who does all the remodeling/building for me. I go to a local ACE hardware when possible. Comcast is on the way out if they give me reason before we leave for Florida as they have bounced me all over the world for help. Customer service is so easy to maintain but so hard to find any that is decent.

This morning after church, I checked the gauge and I'm down to 4%...that's 16 gallons, assuming that the gauge is accurate. I do know where the delivery is supposed to come from and I now have their phone number. I'll be calling when they open at 8:00 am tomorrow morning. In the mean time, I turned the hot water tank down and we won't use any propane fueled appliance, except the furnace, until then.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Member
    Amerigas does not seem very American

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    This morning after church, I checked the gauge and I'm down to 4%...that's 16 gallons, assuming that the gauge is accurate. I do know where the delivery is supposed to come from and I now have their phone number. I'll be calling when they open at 8:00 am tomorrow morning. In the mean time, I turned the hot water tank down and we won't use any propane fueled appliance, except the furnace, until then.
    If you run out, at least around here, they are required to do a full system check, in case it leaked out versus being used.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

5. Member
    I would also be worried about low pressure for the furnace and a regulator freezing up.
    An empty propane tank is a breeding ground for rust.
    Last edited by BillsFan; 12-04-2022 at 03:01 PM.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    In all the years reading posts on BBC I don't think I've ever seen such an indictment of a company. Pitiful!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    In all the years reading posts on BBC I don't think I've ever seen such an indictment of a company. Pitiful!
    Google the complaints about them, probably 800 pages.

8. Member
    They have bought 3 companies that I have used. They will not sell me the tank so I am down to 20% on my 500 gallon tank. I am dumping them for the third time right now. I am running my gas logs as much as possible trying to burn down the fuel.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    So, about the second week of November, I received a post card in the mail from Amerigas with a promotional offer for a first fill-up with them. I own my own 500 gallon propane tank, so I thought I could save a little $$$ and gave them a call on 11/15. They offered me the price of $1.60 per gal, which is normally $1.95 a gallon, plus a $100 Visa pre-paid card. However, since I had never purchased propane from them before, they told me that they'd have to inspect all of our appliances and our tank to be certain they were in good working order. That inspection would cost me $100. I told them to forget it, as I just had my furnace checked and I wasn't going to spend $100 when I know everything is in good order. They told me that they would waive the $100 fee, but they still had to do the inspection. Fine with me and we scheduled it for 11/21. I told them I was at 20% on my tank.

On 11/21 the inspector came. Nice guy, we chatted a lot and he gave everything a clean bill of health. I asked when I should expect the delivery of my propane and he told me that it might come later that day, but certainly by the next day.

On 11/25, I had not yet received a delivery of propane, so I called again. This time, I spoke with their service center in BFE. I could not determine what accent the customer service person had, but it was certainly in a 3rd world country. The person I spoke with told me that no order for propane had every been placed for me, so they placed an order. I told them that I was at 15% and needed the delivery soon. They told me that the delivery would be coming soon.

By 11/28 I had not received the delivery, I called again, getting a hold of the same call center as before. I was told that my propane would be delivered on Friday, 12/2. I told them it better damn well be delivered then, as I was down to 10%.

Yesterday, 12/2, I did not get a delivery by 12:00 noon, so I called again and raised hell with customer service and demanded to speak with a supervisor, as I was down to 8%. I was eventually connected to Amy somewhere in the US. Amy was the first person I spoke with who knew what the heck they were doing. She was very polite, very apologetic, and after some digging, she discovered the problem. The customer service person from BFE that I spoke with on 11/25 did not look in the new customer service files, but in regular customer files. When she didn't see my order, she assumed that one was never placed. When she entered the new order, it cancelled my old order and I was starting from ground zero and would not have gotten the special pricing nor the $100 Visa card. Amy fixed everything and told me that my delivery would be within 24-48 hours, as that was the best that she could do. I told her I was down to 7% and need the order ASAP.

I did not get the delivery today and they don't deliver on Sundays. So, I hope that my propane lasts until they get here on Monday...

Special price or not, I am not impressed with Amerigas!
    They deliver on Sunday.
    They just did mine in Nov.
    That's a good price on gas doe.
    I think they charge me $3.899 a gal.
    Took three weeks and was about out of gas.
    They are a mess now. You usually could go to the office not no more.
    Been with them 24 years.

10. Member
    Horrible company.

11. Banned
    My next door neighbor is a area supervisor for a local propane company and they lose folks to Amerigas and these deals. He says well over 1/2 of them come back after trying Amerigas just once and some have had to call him/them back because Amerigas kept promising delivery and not coming.

12. Member
    Edisto Gas is the best all around.

13. Member
    Many companies start out cheap then start raising the price soon thereafter. Maybe consider buying your own tank so you can choose the best company and deal. That's what I did years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by fly by night View Post
    Many companies start out cheap then start raising the price soon thereafter. Maybe consider buying your own tank so you can choose the best company and deal. That's what I did years ago.
    I bought my own tank 3 years ago.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

15. Member
    Dropped to 25° last night.
    Did the gas hold out?
    Will the gas get delivered today?
    Will the 35 cent discount hold?
    Will a second company have to save the day?
    What new hoops can jumped thru today?
    What % are we at this morning?

We are waiting. Be warm man. Be vigilent. Be well.

Let us know. Nobody is getting any work done until we hear.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

16. Member
    I tried Amerigas and they failed me on delivery times and spiking their prices after my second delivery. I hated trying to order gas from them, It takes 5 times as long to place the order either online or on the phone, hardly ever talk to a person anymore. I switched back to a local propane company where the phone is answered by a real person and I get a much better price than Amerigas could offer. Last 150 gallons I bought it was about an .80 difference per gallon. It all adds up, plus I know when my deliveries are coming not just we will be there by Friday routine.
    Jerry "Rat-L-Trap" Lehman
    Never Enough "Traps"
    Triton TR-21 Merc Optimax 225
    Living Life Large at Toledo Bend

No update? Got pretty chilly last.
    I would have called a local place a week ago and just moved on myself.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    No update? Got pretty chilly last.
    I would have called a local place a week ago and just moved on myself.

Same. If this is their customer service before you are really a customer then imagine how bad it will be when you are a customer.

They don't value you as a customer nor your business. Take the hit and move on.

Dripping Springs, Texas and Wahpeton, Iowa
    Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    I have immediately put them on my “List of Companies to Never Do Business With”. When buying land where we eventually built our little place at the lake n 23 years ago I made sure their was access to Natural Gas so we would never experience dealing with situations like this.

20. Member
    Makes me really appreciate my small rural propane company. They always try to get out as soon as possible; even telling me before that they would have one that would be in the area and he has a full schedule, but if he can work you in and has the propane he'll stop by. He did, I only got 83 gallons vs 200, but he stopped. I rented my tank from them too, It would take 7+ yrs to break even on the tanks I found for sale vs the rental cost.
    Last edited by okhawg; 12-05-2022 at 12:26 PM.
    War Eagle Blackhawk 2170 - Suzuki 150, MG Xi5
    Lowrance HDS 7" & 9" - Twin Talon 12' Anchors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast