Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

slow trim intially, then fine...

Posted this in the Yamaha forum but didn't get any response, figure I will try here...

2016 SHO 225, 600-ish hours but less than 50 on a new powerhead... When getting boat ready to trailer, ie at the house, when I trim the motor up to install a motormate, or any reason really, the trim runs for a second or two then bogs down a bit, and sometimes even stops. I wait a couple seconds and it starts to work again like normal

On the water, under power I never see any issues. And, when pulling out after a day on the water the trim is responsive/normal. It's just when it's been sitting at the house for a few days I guess I see this...

I don't believe it's a battery issue, I did I see it with my previous Northstar AGM and still see it with a new Lithium 125ah. I checked cable/connections/etc and cleaned up the cable ends, etc - all connections to battery are clean.

Not sure what to check next... going to pick up some Skeeter parts soon so can ask when I'm there, but the fact that it works fine after a "slow start" is perplexing. Fluid issue? other wiring or pump issue? Or just normal after sitting for a few days...

Edit I checked the fluid after posting this initially, has plenty of fluid. Next I guess I can try bypassing the relay if no other suggestions...

2. Member
    Sounds like it does it at the switch on the motor and not at the throttle based on your description. If so motor switch may be going bad.

Quote Originally Posted by ohsnags View Post
    Sounds like it does it at the switch on the motor and not at the throttle based on your description. If so motor switch may be going bad.
    OK, I will try from throttle switch also cold and see if it acts the same.

4. Member
    I would say it's cold, but you live in Florida. If it stops no matter which switch you use I'd guess the motor brushes are about shot. Since guesses are free, there's no charge.

5. Member
    My Evinrude was doing that and eventually quick working all together. It would trim fine with only a fully charged battery. If it were below 100%, it would do what yours is doing. I ended up changing the trim motor and since then no issues.

Don’t know if this applies but offer it just in case: Every few years, the trim motor on my Wife’s pontoon boat will act up. (75HP Yamaha)
    The problem manifest when it has been trimmed down for several weeks (while in the slip) and I have to repeatedly actuate the up trim switch to get it to move. The first time it happened, all the electrical components in the circuit checked out so I removed and disassembled the motor.
    I found that the copper on the commutator had a thin green colored film, not exactly corrosion but evidently making for poor contact.
    I polished it with crocus cloth and reassembled; it worked like new.
    i won’t pretend this is your problem, but removing the motor is fairly easy and well worth a check. If this is the problem, it will be obvious.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Basically acts the same from motor switch or throttle switch... Goes for a bit fine then just bogs down. Wait a second or two and it moves some more.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/CWjBFYqVRh4
    Last edited by 78Staff; 12-04-2022 at 04:08 PM.

Mine was doing the same. I replaced the trim motor and haven't had any issues since.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

Just thinking through how to isolate the problem:

1) Try raising the motor and locking it in the up position with the manual lever. Disconnect the trim cylinder from the motor and run it up and down to see if it reacts in the same way. If the cylinder speed is normal, that could indicate that it is load related and point you toward the hydraulic system. If the problem still exists, it could indicate a problem in the electric circuit, probably the trim motor.

2) As the hydraulic cylinder is extending, the displaced oil on the other side of the piston returns to the reservoir through internal passages and valves. I would check to be sure the manual trim release screw is all the way in and seated.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    Have you lubed the tilt pivot tube? Acts like it's binding at the top. You said you cleaned the cable ends but did you check where the ends are crimped? Sometimes and they will loosen and/or corrode.

Talked to two shops, the local (ish) skeeter dealer and another marine shop that has worked on this boat in the past for the previous owner - both agreed the trim motor likely needs replacing, or rebuilding at a minimum. They suggested since it works 99% of the time to just run with it until it dies then replace it. But I might go ahead and get it changed out in the next month or two before the spawn season starts kicking in... Would hate to have it fail right at that time and be down a few weeks waiting on parts or server and whatnot...

Quote Originally Posted by 78Staff View Post
    Talked to two shops, the local (ish) skeeter dealer and another marine shop that has worked on this boat in the past for the previous owner - both agreed the trim motor likely needs replacing, or rebuilding at a minimum. They suggested since it works 99% of the time to just run with it until it dies then replace it. But I might go ahead and get it changed out in the next month or two before the spawn season starts kicking in... Would hate to have it fail right at that time and be down a few weeks waiting on parts or server and whatnot...

Order the part now and just have it ready.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewFlu33 View Post
    Mine was doing the same. I replaced the trim motor and haven't had any issues since.
    mine also

14. Member
    I wouldn't give it the opportunity to go out, i'd change it out now. I don't like to break down if it can be avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I wouldn't give it the opportunity to go out, i'd change it out now. I don't like to break down if it can be avoided.
    Probably a good idea. I have cooler and glove box conversion parts arriving, so will see about scheduling the change out.

Oddly enough, last trip out it didn't really give me any problems... a bit slow in the morning removing the motormate, but no issues after that, and worked fine/robustly after pulling out later that day...

16. Member
    Just had the same issue with my 2016 sho. Trim was slow and starting to die and then would completely stop working and then work intermittently. Replaced the trim motor and all is good now.

Yeah, going to order up an Arco so I'll have it ready, and schedule the change after the holidays, or maybe if I do the Jackplate will have it done then too.

18. Member

19. Member
    Smart move to change it out.

I had similar symptoms, only for a day, when my trim motor just quit that same day, and I was stuck on the water with the motor all the way down. I was fishing myself that day. Loading the boat onto the trailer was another story that I won’t even get into.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Followup to older thread, but as most suggested, a new trim motor solved solved all issues :). Went with an Arco, the OEM was crazy expensive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast