2004 Ranger 519VX

Hi All,

I'm a newish owner of a 2004 Ranger 519 VX with a Ranger (Dual Pro/ Minn Kota?) 3 bank on board battery charger. It's been a bit of an issue with the charger in that if not plugged in, it would draw some kind charge and kill all three batteries over time. I am replacing it with a NOCO Genius 10x3 charger.

Are the 2004 Ranger transoms fitted with the "pultruded" composite construction? Given that the mounting points of the two chargers will be different how much effort is needed for waterproofing? Is marine grade silicone enough?

Thanks Alot and Best Regards,

Gusman

2. Member
    I would unscrew the old charger and see how long those screws are,and drill pilot holes that deep with a smaller drill bit for the new charger.Then,using the same length screws as before,coat the screw threads with silicone and screw them in.

3. Member
    Your boat does have a Plutruded transom but the charger would not be attached to it from the factory. The charger is bolted to a plate that is just behind the center shelf and separates the rigging area from the area of the transom setback.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

4. Member
    Depending on how you want it to look I would just get a 1/2” thick piece of cutting board (not sure exact material but like plastic food cutting board) or wood even and mount that with the old holes then use some new 1/2 screws to mount new one to plate. Than 0 to worry about.

5. Member
    Thanks guys! The NOCO has arrived.. I will get a better look soon.... sucks to live in New England without a garage!

Will report back.

Gusman

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by howieranger View Post
    Your boat does have a Plutruded transom but the charger would not be attached to it from the factory. The charger is bolted to a plate that is just behind the center shelf and separates the rigging area from the area of the transom setback.
    Yes this is correct. I had a 06/519 and posted the change to a MK charger.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=932863

7. Member
    The charger is mounted on a plastic plate. It is held on by 6 screws. Just take the plate out, take the old charger off and mount the new charger and replace the plate back and replace the screws. It is about a foot in front of the transom of the boat.

8. Member
    Hey Guys,

Thanks a lot! Finally got a chance to look at the setup (taking advantage of a 40 degree day!) and see what you mean about the bracket.

I do have another question... while de-installing the Ranger charger I noticed that there is a third wire coming from the "cranking" battery bank that runs into the hull to unknown places! the other banks (and the NOCO banks) only have two wires. Anyone know what the third wire is for?

Thanks again!

Gusman

9. Member
    You should have a wiring diagram under the bilge lid. The easiest way to understand where the other end is would be to check the colors of the wire against the diagram. If it is not on the diagram, it is aftermarket, which would narrow it down to accessories. If I remember right, my old one had an extra wire to the old Garmins that kept the memory of them alive while the breaker was off…..but it’s been a long time since I had that equipment.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO