Question 181 Swing away/swinging/removable tongue trailer question

I am in the market for a boat and have been looking at a couple 181s that are for sale near me. I'm quite limited on space in my garage because it's a 20x20 and I'm sharing it with my roommate who wants to park a small car in there as well. I've done the measurements and unfortunately the only way I'd be able to fit one in my garage is if the trailer has a swinging/removable tongue--but it WOULD fit! The only problem is I haven't seen any 181s (or any other Champs, let alone many boats in general) with breakaway/swinging tongues. I did find a post from 10 years ago that specifically mentions fitting a 181 in a 20' garage with a removable tongue (https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=275899), but I've never seen one. The pictures don't show anymore and I was wondering if this trailer came as an option on Champ (TI) trailers or if this was an aftermarket trailer or modification. The 181 trailers I've seen wouldn't allow for such a modification as the two sides of the trailer frame come to a point where the tongue attaches to the hitch.

Alternatively, are there other trailers that would safely fit a 181 (or other 18' Champion) I could look into?

Bonus points if anyone can provide pictures or point me to a seller of a boat or trailer that would fit in my 20' garage!

Thanks!
    Last edited by sircole; 12-03-2022 at 09:29 PM.

2. Member
    Try taking photos to a quality trailer shop. I had one convert my fixed tongue ranger trail dual axle to a removable tongue. They used two (1/4" thick) square tubes. A larger tube approximately 2' long was welded to the frame as a receiver after the side channels were bent inward and a C-channel was added as a cross brace. The smaller tube fits inside and is welded to the hitch receiver. The two tubes were held together with a large pin. I'd send photos, but no longer have the boat or trailer.

FYI to the OP, Not only the length with be a tight fit but your width will prove to be tight as well.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

4. Member
    You can get the parts from Shadow Trailer Parts in
    Cypress, Ca. 800-281-0769 Inter Slide Part#47550/099-060-10
    Swing Tongue#47122. Cost a couple years ago when I did mine
    was around $1800. The biggest thing is getting a shop to do the install.
    I had one on a Stratos I had back in the 80’s the shop made it like the receiver
    hitch on your vehicle just made the tongue a little longer.

5. Member
    If you need pictures of the swing tongue on the
    186 Champion or the removable one on the
    Stratos text me 559-696-7966.

Get rid of the roommate.

Steve McQueen "Le Mans"
    Own the Champ! Life Long Petty Fan!

2003 ChampioN 2006 250 Merc. XB, Prop By Mark C.
    2002 Ranger Okeechobee Special EvinRude Ficht 90 / 9.9 4-Stroke GLAD to have a Get me to the Dock motor maybe!