Grand Traverse Gill Nets...

Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

2. Member
    Been fishing up there since early 90s...very sad to see if this is the case.
    Jonathan Adkins
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS4S
    HDSLive12s/Ghost/AT2/G360

3. Member
    Yep. They are going to beat the daylights out of the bay this year. This really sucks for us local tourney guys too as those nets will collect the smallies as they head up for spawn. There is an old adage up here though. Slice, sink and shut up. Not that I advocate this at all, but trust me, it happens out there

I get a private facebook page. Assuming from the comments that gill nets will be used by the indians next year?

5. Member
    They can if they chose to use them, which I'm sure they will.

According to the order, which is not final yet, there will be a 3 year grace period for the State of Mi to "educate" the general population on what is coming and how to navigate around net buoys so you don't get tangled in them. They say they will not be using them during summer months. Obviously to avoid problems. There is a lot of talk up here by a couple of organizations about signing petitions and sending them to Federal court to get a modification to the order but I think too little too late.
    There is also a lot of talk about the DNR selling us out in secret negotiations but the facts are that the DNR tried to get reduced amount of netting in the new agreement but the Federal judge ruled against them.

We may not like it but the Tribes have had the right since the treaties were signed in the 1800s. The tribes have been stocking walleyes for years in the target areas and it should have been obvious that they weren't doing all that stocking for nothing.
    Butch Derickson
    2011 Z521 w/250 hp SHO
    Traverse City, Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger519VS View Post
    According to the order, which is not final yet, there will be a 3 year grace period for the State of Mi to "educate" the general population on what is coming and how to navigate around net buoys so you don't get tangled in them. They say they will not be using them during summer months. Obviously to avoid problems. There is a lot of talk up here by a couple of organizations about signing petitions and sending them to Federal court to get a modification to the order but I think too little too late.
    There is also a lot of talk about the DNR selling us out in secret negotiations but the facts are that the DNR tried to get reduced amount of netting in the new agreement but the Federal judge ruled against them.

We may not like it but the Tribes have had the right since the treaties were signed in the 1800s. The tribes have been stocking walleyes for years in the target areas and it should have been obvious that they weren't doing all that stocking for nothing.
    What is the 3 year grace period for? Will netting start next year or in 3 years? What are your thoughts on how this will impact the smallmouth fishery overall? I read that the netting will be allowed on East Bay north of the center launch. I rarely head north from that launch. There were a lot of near-hysterical posts on the FB page. It can't be that bad- can it?
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

8. Member
    It is that bad. They get to net from empire to leelanau point, elmwood launch to suttons bay area on west bay, center road launch to old mission, norwood to charlevoix , inside lake charlevoix/round lake and the channel leading out to lake michigan. it will devastate the smallmouth fishing as they come up out of the winter deep to feed and spawn. Just look at how many feeder creeks and rivers that are in those areas. They won't be tossing back rough fish like bass. Gill nets are KILL nets. Nothing survives them. They were restricted to only netting above the 45th parallel. There is a petition out there to stop this. Not sure if it will do any good, but it sure as heck is worth a shot. Since the consent decree redo was never finalized and signed in time, this is what we are left with. A world class fishery that will quickly fall into a world class empty hole. There is an old saying in the U.P. , shoot shovel and shut up. This might just turn into slice /sink / shut up. I will say a few years ago I ran over a unmarked and poorly marked net on the other end of the net on east bay. Wound it up into my LU, blew it and twisted up my main drive shaft. Over 3K in damages and when I approached the tribe with chunks of their net wrapped around my LU ( yes I took it with me) I was basically told to go pound sand .

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    It is that bad. They get to net from empire to leelanau point, elmwood launch to suttons bay area on west bay, center road launch to old mission, norwood to charlevoix , inside lake charlevoix/round lake and the channel leading out to lake michigan. it will devastate the smallmouth fishing as they come up out of the winter deep to feed and spawn. Just look at how many feeder creeks and rivers that are in those areas. They won't be tossing back rough fish like bass. Gill nets are KILL nets. Nothing survives them. They were restricted to only netting above the 45th parallel. There is a petition out there to stop this. Not sure if it will do any good, but it sure as heck is worth a shot. Since the consent decree redo was never finalized and signed in time, this is what we are left with. A world class fishery that will quickly fall into a world class empty hole. There is an old saying in the U.P. , shoot shovel and shut up. This might just turn into slice /sink / shut up. I will say a few years ago I ran over a unmarked and poorly marked net on the other end of the net on east bay. Wound it up into my LU, blew it and twisted up my main drive shaft. Over 3K in damages and when I approached the tribe with chunks of their net wrapped around my LU ( yes I took it with me) I was basically told to go pound sand .
    Last year on Lake Erie the same set of nets were run over twice, late fall- early winter. The first boat had 3 guys and all survived, the 2nd boat 2 guys and the father drowned. It’s not only the fish but also the safety issues.

Are there other premier fisheries that allow these gill nets?
    2016 Tuffy X-190
    Yamaha F175, Mercury 9.9
    Motorguide 80 lb Xi5
    Garmim/Humminbird graphs and Talon

11. Member
    Well. I watched some of the FB Q&A live feed last night. What a pile of garbage. When asked about LED nav lights attached to the marker buoys , the author of the CD never gave a straight answer other than " it has not been brought up". Which I find to be a total lie. Also found out that the tribes will " self regulate and self report numbers and weights ". Keep drinking the kool aid if you believe that. Also the Soo tribe is not going to enter into the CD citing they just simply don't need to follow it . What they want is total control over fishing in lake Superior with no over site what so ever.

12. Member
    There are nets of some kind on Lake Erie.
    I would call it a premier fishery.

Not sure if they are fill nets, tho.

13. dartag1829

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishin Polock View Post
    Well. I watched some of the FB Q&A live feed last night. What a pile of garbage. When asked about LED nav lights attached to the marker buoys , the author of the CD never gave a straight answer other than " it has not been brought up". Which I find to be a total lie. Also found out that the tribes will " self regulate and self report numbers and weights ". Keep drinking the kool aid if you believe that. Also the Soo tribe is not going to enter into the CD citing they just simply don't need to follow it . What they want is total control over fishing in lake Superior with no over site what so ever.

This is sad...very very sad. I appreciate all the good information on the issue. I would like to get involved somehow some way.

15. Member
    Here is a good clarification on how the MDNR is folding over backwards to appease the tribes and lying to the residents of the state. Direct from the MUCC, who actually fights for everybody to hunt and fish equally in the state of Michigan.
    https://protectmiresources.com/mdnr-...V9NsRwQby7xdbc

This certainly doesn't look good for the fishery.

17. Member
    Enough is enough in my mind. I get they were wronged and not treated properly and now they get everything they want and give back nothing. Its not about tradition it is all GREED.

One of the most exciting days ever fishing for smallmouth was in GTB. 30+ feet of water dropping on a boulder with a dream shot and seeing it all happen like you were watching TV. It would be a shame to ruin that and it would take 15-20 years to recover. A damn shame.
    Scott
    2016 Nitro Z20 Pro
    Serial # 2B125401 - 250ProXS DFI/TM2

18. dartag1829
    We go to Sault St Marie for a show my wife does. I go down and watch the kids snag Atlantic Salmon. The Old Fashion way with Big Weighted Treble Hooks. A couple times the Tribal Officer has been there coaching the young ones. Great guy to talk to. Said the kids provide for the elders in the tribe so he lets it go.