Thread: Ferrite bead

Ferrite bead

When using a ferrite bead on a network cable, should the bead be put where it first comes out of the GLS 10 (Black box) or right before going into the head unit or does it even matter? Also if I'm networking from a 126SV to a 93SV should another ferrie bead be put between the units? Thank you.

2. Member
    depends on where the GLS10 is mounted and the chart plotter is mounted. My GLS10 is mounted in the same area as a stand alone battery and a steady cast heading sensor and the Garmin network box so I have one on the GLS 10 because of the high probability of interference in that area. A little tip, if the ferrite bead is a larger diameter than the cable your snaping it on the cable tapers larger where it plugs into the unit, slide it up the cable to where it match's the diameter of the ferrite bead.

3. Member
    Ferrite beads should be place as close to the incoming signal source as possible. ie.. close to the black box as possible. Mind you, Ferrite beads are generally used when you have RF energy moving down the outside surface of a cover. In Ham Radio thats what they are used for. There is generally not a lot of effect against internal noise. ex... if your black box is improperly shielded and is getting ignition noise, a bead will not stop this. PRO TIP, Get a bead with an ID that will allow you to place the cable thru it and loop it back around thru it again. Most likely your going to want a 31 MIX or a 43 MIX depending on what your interference is.

4. Member
    Thank you.

5. Member
    On a digital signal such as a network cable there is really no need to use one.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan3206 View Post
    On a digital signal such as a network cable there is really no need to use one.
    From Garmin's website on Ultra unit installs:
    zzzzzCochrane deck door.png

The instructions that came with my EchoMap 126sv state the ferrite rings should be placed as near as possible to the connectors on the head unit.
    Install rings on cables for 12-pin XDucer, LVS XDucer, and Garmin network. Nothing on Power or NMEA 2000 cables.
    CEDEB042-107E-4C6B-BFD3-2E63093F9228.jpeg
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

8. Member
    Thank you.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    The instructions that came with my EchoMap 126sv state the ferrite rings should be placed as near as possible to the connectors on the head unit.
    Install rings on cables for 12-pin XDucer, LVS XDucer, and Garmin network. Nothing on Power or NMEA 2000 cables.
    CEDEB042-107E-4C6B-BFD3-2E63093F9228.jpeg
    Re: The cotter pins to prevent the locking clip from accidently releasing...I see you have them on both sides. Is having the cotter pins on both sides required (vs. on just one side) or do you have 2 for peace of mind?
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury