Thread: I know nothing

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    5.56 prices are down and ARs are cheap. Be prepared.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS22 View Post
    The possible impact of this lawsuit won’t even amount to a rounding error on their financial statement. Any risk from a reputation standpoint is minimal at best. Large corporations have Legal and Human Resources Departments to deal with discrimination and a Chief Risk Officer to monitor and manage risk daily. Like I said this issue wouldn’t even make it into the quarterly board packet.
    So you're saying the legal department, Human Resources, and Chief Risk Officer have no duty or requirements to report to the CEO what is going on in their departments? They just go about their business without oversight? No one saw anything in the media? I will stand by that he knew.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigFishSteve View Post
    5.56 prices are down and ARs are cheap. Be prepared.
    5.56 is still about $450 which is about $140 more than it should be.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I really don’t care about your sexual preferences. I’d prefer you keep them to yourself, keep the kids out of it and don’t flaunt them in front of me with a “I dare ya to look at me sideways” attitude about it but that’s another discussion … I promise to do the same. Not everyone that isn’t “different” is a raging homophobe racist village pillager …. Most people would prefer a return to discretion when people didn’t wear their politics/religion/lifestyle like an Avengers costume and try to bludgeon the non believers with it. Enough’s enough.

That being said, do those of you that are on a mission about the subject really think that you’re really accomplishing anything when Disney, Kroger or whoever else aligns themselves with your stance ? It’s done as a purely business decision, they want your money. Don’t agree with it ? Don’t support it. Being pandered to and being told what you want to hear is not change but a nice warm fuzzy way of being dismissed. Too bad more people don’t see the bigger picture.

My point is, they’re doing more to hurt than help their cause as it fosters resentment in many people. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not a battle of lib/conservative gay/straight dem/repub etc. It’s a battle of people who want to be left alone vs people who just can’t mind their own damn business.
    Ranting coherently

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    So you're saying the legal department, Human Resources, and Chief Risk Officer have no duty or requirements to report to the CEO what is going on in their departments? They just go about their business without oversight? No one saw anything in the media? I will stand by that he knew.
    Correct, they're obligated not to report anything unless it's above their scope of duty.
    There's a chain of command. In a healthy system, it operates both directions, not one.
    We allow people to do their jobs, no interference. Unless there's lack of functionality.
    $138 billion in annual revenue. 465,000 employees. He is relegated to higher tasks.

6. Member

What I’m saying is the issue is not significant enough to warrant a CEOs personal knowledge or attention. Also just for the record, when a CEO does a public speaking engagement a lists of questions/ topics is requested beforehand to avoid gotcha moments or grandstanding. I’m willing to bet this issue was not on the list of questions submitted ijs…

7. Member
    Everything you said is false except that the information flow from subordinates to Chief and vice versa make for a healthy company. Common sense which seems to escape you dictates subordinates always inform the next up in the chain of command so no surprises to a Chief Operating Officer in situations like being called before Congress. You gotta be special to think a CEO will let people operate without oversight in a 138 billion dollar company. That is not micromanaging it is the responsibility and job description for a CEO especially of that magnitude. Your opinion is noted and we will just have to agree to disagree.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS22 View Post
    What I’m saying is the issue is not significant enough to warrant a CEOs personal knowledge or attention. Also just for the record, when a CEO does a public speaking engagement a lists of questions/ topics is requested beforehand to avoid gotcha moments or grandstanding. I’m willing to bet this issue was not on the list of questions submitted ijs…
    Just because there was no list doesn't mean he didn't know. We will just have to agree to disagree. I can't bring my common sense to tell me a CEO and leader isn't aware of the pulse of his Company especially in these times. Have a good evening.

9. Member
    Everything you said is false except that the information flow from subordinates to Chief and vice versa make for a healthy company. Common sense which seems to escape you dictates subordinates always inform the next up in the chain of command so no surprises to a Chief Operating Officer in situations like being called before Congress. You gotta be special to think a CEO will let people operate without oversight in a 138 billion dollar company. That is not micromanaging it is the responsibility and job description for a CEO especially of that magnitude. Your opinion is noted and we will just have to agree to disagree.
    Previously, you inquired about my job experience. And you were obliged.
    My career was corporate management. I'm pretty sure of my answers.
    However, you seem bent on maligning Mr. McMullen. Without hesitation.

Mr. McMullen was born on a farm in Kentucky, rural American childhood.
    The very first in his family to attend college, while working at Kroger.
    Bagger, stocker, cashier and other similar tasks. Paying for an education.
    He completed his BA and MA, continuing to work at Kroger, to this day.

Seems Mr. McMullen is very likely an honorable man, hard working too.
    My experience in corporate management supports my conclusion here.
    Mr. McMullen deserves more respect. However, your opinion is noted.

10. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    I took this discussion up the chain of command in my house. The wife simply stated it depends on the culture at the company. Her CEO, which the hospital group has about a third of employees compared to Kroger would certainly know. But she said she could see how with many large corporations, the CEO wouldn't know. Some CEOs don't get down to that level of employee involvement and others do.

So everyone can be right.
    Thanos was the hero

11. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    So everyone can be right.

Then, so is Lao Tzu as He nailed it in #71 of the Tao Te Ching:

"Not-knowing is true knowledge. Presuming to know is a dis-ease.
    First realize You are sick; then You can move toward health..."

Others:

"To know that You do not know is the highest
    To not know but thing You know is flawed

Only when One recognizes the fault as a 'fault'
    can One be without fault.

The Sages are without fault
    because they recognize the fault as a fault
    that is why they are without fault.

and finally...

If nothing else,
    Know You do not know.

12. Great Lakes Captain RangerTim619's Avatar
    Very well said !

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    I really don’t care about your sexual preferences. I’d prefer you keep them to yourself, keep the kids out of it and don’t flaunt them in front of me with a “I dare ya to look at me sideways” attitude about it but that’s another discussion … I promise to do the same. Not everyone that isn’t “different” is a raging homophobe racist village pillager …. Most people would prefer a return to discretion when people didn’t wear their politics/religion/lifestyle like an Avengers costume and try to bludgeon the non believers with it. Enough’s enough.

That being said, do those of you that are on a mission about the subject really think that you’re really accomplishing anything when Disney, Kroger or whoever else aligns themselves with your stance ? It’s done as a purely business decision, they want your money. Don’t agree with it ? Don’t support it. Being pandered to and being told what you want to hear is not change but a nice warm fuzzy way of being dismissed. Too bad more people don’t see the bigger picture.

My point is, they’re doing more to hurt than help their cause as it fosters resentment in many people. Contrary to popular belief, it’s not a battle of lib/conservative gay/straight dem/repub etc. It’s a battle of people who want to be left alone vs people who just can’t mind their own damn business.
    Ranger 619 * Honda 200* Minn Kota* Humminbird *Garmin
    Fenwick *Abu Garcia

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaJim View Post
    Previously, you inquired about my job experience. And you were obliged.
    My career was corporate management. I'm pretty sure of my answers.
    However, you seem bent on maligning Mr. McMullen. Without hesitation.

Mr. McMullen was born on a farm in Kentucky, rural American childhood.
    The very first in his family to attend college, while working at Kroger.
    Bagger, stocker, cashier and other similar tasks. Paying for an education.
    He completed his BA and MA, continuing to work at Kroger, to this day.

Seems Mr. McMullen is very likely an honorable man, hard working too.
    My experience in corporate management supports my conclusion here.
    Mr. McMullen deserves more respect. However, your opinion is noted.
    I don't speak for DOC but I don't have anything negative to say about Mr McMullen. I just think it's surprising and embarrassing that he wouldn't know about it. If it was my company and I hadn't been brought up to speed on federal law violations with possible public image fallout, I'd be pissed

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I don't speak for DOC but I don't have anything negative to say about Mr McMullen. I just think it's surprising and embarrassing that he wouldn't know about it. If it was my company and I hadn't been brought up to speed on federal law violations with possible public image fallout, I'd be pissed
    Agree…General Counsel is the the number 3 person on the organization chart…AND a SVP of labor and HR in the top 6 people of the organizational chart…I’ll kiss somebody’s ass if those two didn’t know about the case. YGTBSM

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I think it still goes back to political theater. If Cotton seriously wanted to discuss Krogers employee policies concerning dress codes and LGBTQ issues, that’s a different hearing. Not some cheap shot gotcha crap at a serious hearing about a significant merger. All it showed was how low Cotton will stoop for cheap political points with his base. He’s trying to clown a CEO, but to anyone with any reasonable level of maturity and intelligence he looks pathetic pulling that stunt.

16. Member
    todays ceo is just waiting for the time to open their golden parachute and move on to another company
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    todays ceo is just waiting for the time to open their golden parachute and move on to another company
    I've never approached any position in that respect. It's not sound at all.
    Hole jumping, etc. is mostly within lower and mid management levels.
    And that's a given, nothing has changed. They're looking to move up.

Rodney McMullen has been at Kroger his entire career, he's not jumping.
    And that's the case with most high ranking executives. They're stable.
    Within private equity, bets are removed. And shareholders can be fickle.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    The CEO of a $34 Billion dollar company is not going to know about a lawsuit with a $180k settlement. It's not even a rounding error. He has more important things to worry about, than HR issues.
    I would have to agree with this. I would have to imagine they have a threshold as far as dollar exposure before he needs to know.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123