2007 250hp Pro XS Compressor

This is a first time issue for me and I’ve been trying to find info on this and am struggling to find it. My belt broke on my flywheel and i checked all the pulleys and the compressor pulley acted like it was warped. I was looking at them and almost hit the ground at the price of one of those. I saw a rebuild kit and i saw used ones but from what I’ve read i could spend money on a used one but it could go too soon thereafter. Is it worth trying to rebuild that thing or biting that bullet and buying a new one? Also if there’s anything else i should probably do or look at while I’m at it please let me know. Thanks guys.

2007 250hp Mercury Pro XS
    serial # 1B481075
    Approx 95hrs
    ethanol only gas
    Sorry if i missed something
    07" Triton Tr21X HP

2. Member
    I rebuilt one as long as yours is black no problem
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Member
    As far as used low hours, disassemble and clean and lube well, ok, need new filters and a oil prime, I do it every two years, replace filters, and do oil prime, sometimes disassemble compressor and install new o rings and lube heavily.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

4. Member
    Grab the compressor's pulley and go ape on it to see if it wiggles, clicks, or has any play. Start there.

You have 95 hours on your motor...OMG! That's 6.3 hours a year!!! Not sure anyone would do maintenance on a motor that runs 6.3 hours a year. Maybe belt broke from old age and you're fine.
    Last edited by Another Distraction; 12-03-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Member
    We’re did you find a rebuild kit

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Before you jump into a "rebuild kit"- I would suggest being aware of a couple of things:

-There really is no reliable "tutorial" for rebuilding the Air Compressors. Even though there is a kit, I would suggest "above average" mechanical aptitude and knowledge.

-Failure of the air compressor (old one, rebuilt one, used one, or even a new one) puts the rails AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: The Direct Injectors at risk. Trash JUST ONE direct injector and you nearly paid for a new compressor. Those things are UBER expensive now.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-05-2022 at 02:45 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Yeah it had 89hrs when i bought it and i haven’t gotten to go much this year but when i did this is what happened. The pulley just seemed like it didn’t run as true as it should have and the belt is in small shreds and slivers. It turns fine and i don’t hear any squeaks or rough feeling when i turn it. The pulley just seems off.
    07" Triton Tr21X HP

8. Member
    What happened is oil was not present at start up. Sitting is the worst thing. In my opinion a oil prime needs to be done after a long period and filters swapped at least
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

9. Member
    Pulley might be loose…
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Taking a few minutes to add just a little lube to the inlet and spin it through (before leaving it sitting) seems to cut down on corrosion top-side (where they're most likely to experience it).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor