Looking for battery advice

I added a Garmin Live Scope this past season to my XB 2003 powered by a Merc 200XS. I was running two group 24 batteries for both the troller and a cranking source. The group 24 was not enough to keep the Live Scope happy so I replaced with a pair of group 31's. These big lead weights really affected the performance and handling of my 2003--lost that light nimble Allison feeling. I know I need a lead/acid battery for cranking the 200XS but looking at the possibility of going lithium for the Minnkota troller, fish finder, and rest of boat's electrical needs. One local expert says I should go with one 24V lithium for just the troller plus two lead acids---one cranking and one for electronics. My gut tells me to get two 12V lithiums wired in series for the troller and run the electronics off one of these two 12 volts. With this set up I would also need a smaller lead acid for cranking. Looking for any advice from the Allison family first before putting this into the general forums. Thanks!

2. Member
    I think most of the electronics gurus would respond with wanting to know your entire electronics load; ie how many and what kind of devices are you powering, livewell usage, powerpoles, etc. Being an ex 2003 owner, and not knowing your electronics load, I would consider a 24v for your tm and a lithium dual purpose 125ish amp for starting and electronics.

IMO-- and I've followed the lithium-starting battery on the new Merc's pretty close.
    I Sold an almost new 125AH Ionic when I purchased this 250R after reading what (might happen) At that time I did not want to take a chance. Fast forward and the major players in the lithium batteries have addressed the issues and advanced the BMS to hopefully rectify any problems the high output alternator would cause with the early Lithiums.
    I have ran Ionics for trolling batteries for 4 years with the HUGE Northstar as a starting battery.. Soon as it quits I'll be straight Lithiums.
    Just be sure If you buy one as a starter it has an updated BMS

Heck Mercury has even got in the Lithium business now.

4. Member
    My motor is a Merc Racing 200XS with no alternator. I should have been more clear.

Then disregard all of my post as I know nothing about that setup.
    Sure don't want to misspeak...

I run two 100ah lithiums for the troller and a 48ah lithium running just my 12 inch Garmin on the bow and the Livescope black box. I have a group 27 AGM for starting, dash graph, livewell etc. I will be going to a starting lithium when my AGM craps out.

I lost over 90lbs out of my bow going lithium in my XB21 as I had group31 Trojans up there before.

7. Member
    In my XB-21 I have 3 12v 50Ah for my TM and a 125Ah for my cranking and electronics all Ionic's, love them! Hardly running the big motor and get 2 full days without charging don't want to push it on 3 though, but could probably get 3 (after 9 hours the 1st day and still had 70% on the cranking battery and 69% on the TM batteries).

250 ProXS, Lowrance Ghost TM, Lowrance 16 & 12 graphs, and Active Target.

Hope that helps.

Mike
    Mike Malinao
    2010 XB-21 BasSport 2+2 250 Mercury Pro XS
    https://www.facebook.com/mikemalinaofishing

8. BBC SPONSOR
    I tested a 125 Ionic on my setup, when I start the day fully charged the battery went into overcharged state, the BMS shut it down, and the alternator spiked the voltage to 15.7V and at that point all of my electronics shut down. When I would trim there was enough of a load for my electronics to come back on briefly and the engine would give full power, when the load went away the engine would pull power and everything would shut back down. My engine has a 115A alternator.

After fishing all day it was down to 55% and recharged to 89% on a 50 mile run with no issues.

Another thing I noticed is my stealth charger was bleeding 3-4A to the troller bank (3 12v 50AH) while the lithium was fully charged and the engine was off.

It would be interesting to see how it reacts with a fully charged battery on a 60-80A Alternator (Opti/V8)

I went back to AGM for cranking, plus we need the AGM weight on the port side so it doesnt make sense to remove weight just to turn around and compensate with Ballast.
    Fastbass Marine LLC
    We specialize in NEW and USED ALLISON BOATS, Blazer Boats, Platinum Mercury Marine Repower Center, AquaTraction Flooring, and custom marine electronic installations on beautiful Kentucky and Barkley Lakes.

2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite
    2022 Mercury 450R

2012 Bullet 21ss
    2005 Mercury 300X

https://youtu.be/FOnAGNWOgZ0

9. Member
    Tim what have you noticed on performance and handling, with the newer trolling motors and multiple graphs up front?

10. BBC SPONSOR
    You do not want to run your depth finders off of the trolling battery. I would do a 24v Lithium for your troller, and depending what you have for electronics find a suitable, quality lithium that will power your graph and Livescope.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

11. Member
    I'm running 3 50ah Ionics for my ultrex and a 125ah ionic cranker. I'm running a 16 live and a Helix 12 at console and a 9 live . Helix 12 and a 12" Garmin with livescope and Mega 360 up front without any issues. As far as performance and handling , i can't tell any difference with all the units up front , but i'm loaded extremly heavy and also have 10' poles so i'm only running around 80 loaded. xb21 with 250r.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apple Allison View Post
    My motor is a Merc Racing 200XS with no alternator. I should have been more clear.

So you have 16 amp system? If you do, I ran 3 50AH lithium batteries on my modded 260. 2 for troller and 1 for cranking, electronics and live well pump. Never had an issue. I didn't have livescope so you may need to go with 100AH for cranking/electronics/livewell.