Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Preferred reel size for a NRX+ 822 DSR?

I want to make sure I set this rod up for optimum balance and performance. What reels are you gentlemen using? Thanks, Allen
    Last edited by kacordy; 12-02-2022 at 07:25 PM.

2000 size for me. I have also used the 2500 but prefer the 2000 size

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bass View Post
    2000 size for me. I have also used the 2500 but prefer the 2000 size
    Thank you Mr. Bass. I have the rod on the way. I appreciate the suggestion. Allen

4. Member
    Rather than reel size, I think reel weight would be the criteria. example I have a St Croix Legend Elite 6'10" MLXF with a Daiwa Tatula 2500 (6.2 oz). Super light around 10 oz and balanced great. Rod roughly same size and close to weight of the NRX+. A sub 7 oz reel should be the ticket.

5. Member
    Reel weight and spool diameter to first stripper guide should also be considered. Also, "2000/2500/3000" size nomenclature varies between different manufacturers...as a matter of fact, Daiwa "LT" sizing is different than the previous Real Four generation and pre-Real Four.

Same with just looking at rod weight, it should be balance point with the reel mounted, as to serve your liking and purpose, that should be as important.

These type considerations are also applicable to line test ratings vs actual breaking strength based upon diameter. And to include the most misunderstood evaluation factor in reels, "what gear ratio" should I use for such and such technique/lure/presentation, etc. Gear ratio is actually not as important as IPT and spool capacity, especially based upon the average casting distance that the angler expects from that specific reel.

Just some thoughts.

Good luck.
    Last edited by dragon1; 12-03-2022 at 09:48 AM.

6. Member
    It’s an NRX, get an Exist (2500). LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    It’s an NRX, get an Exist (2500). LOL.
    Agreed! If your going in that direction. Might as well go all in!
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Agreed! If your going in that direction. Might as well go all in!
    Or a Stella or Exsence.

9. Member
    I have an Exist on one and it's a nice spinning set up but I still hate spinning set ups. It's a LT 3000 and balances nicely.

10. Member
    I have this rod matched with a Shimano Vanford 2500HG. Great combo. I throw 1/4 or 3/8 oz weights most of the time.

11. Member
    The Daiwa Tatula LT 2500 is also a great reel that would work. It’s super light and after lots of use is pretty much on par with the Shimano Vanford.

12. Member
    I’ve run a couple different reels on the 822 DSR: ABU MGX 2000S (JDM model with shallow spool for finesse), Exsense A 3000, Stella FK 2500 and 22 Exists 2000. As others have said, different manufacturers have different dimensions for 2000/2500/3000 reels. Make sure you understand the actual size of the reel before you get it. The MGX 2000, Excense A 3000 and Stella 2500 are all roughly the same size. Meanwhile, the Exists 2000 is noticeably smaller.

Fortunately, all reels that I mentioned work on the rod, I wouldn’t overthink it. It’s a rather forgiving rod when it comes to reel weight, too. If pressed, I’d go MGX2000/Stella 2500/Excense 3000 size. The small 2000 reels usually take it less line per handle turn and I find the Exists 2000 a bit too slow for dropshotting (I’m running it on my Ned rod instead).

13. Member
    I would use a 3000 reel. I'm using a Shimano Vanquish 3000. I have some Excense reels as well and there great! Combo is super light and super cool looking. Makes any day chasing Smallies with live scope that much better! If you're a Diawa fan Boy look at a Luvias 3000 and get a bearing upgrade kit.

V1A.jpegV2A.jpeg

14. Member
    I think the comments around reel weight are the right feedback on the best answer to this question. If you can get a light weight 4000 size reel that balances the rod well, that is the best choice. Better line management, better inches per turn with respect to retrieve and better drag performance (more drag surface). All really critical elements when it comes to finesse fishing. There would be no reason to have a tiny reel on a rod when today's reels are all so light that you can have a bigger reel with all the benefits of a bigger reel without compromising balance.... There is a reason the saying, bigger is better, also applies to fishing.... Go listen to Josh Douglas talk about why he uses a 4000 size reel on all his spinning rods. It just makes too much sense.
    Last edited by MainelySmallmouth; 12-12-2022 at 08:25 AM.

15. Member
    I would still want to be as light as I can (without going too small). No matter how light a 4000 reel you can find, it’s 2500 version will be significantly lighter. If you have a heavy rod, then it might force you to go bigger on the reel to balance, but the NRX is probably THE lightest rod out there. Braid negates larger spool diameter advantages, but mono would benefit from a larger diameter spool. When talking light line fishing, the smaller reels are designed for it.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JJohnSind View Post
    I would still want to be as light as I can (without going too small). No matter how light a 4000 reel you can find, it’s 2500 version will be significantly lighter. If you have a heavy rod, then it might force you to go bigger on the reel to balance, but the NRX is probably THE lightest rod out there. Braid negates larger spool diameter advantages, but mono would benefit from a larger diameter spool. When talking light line fishing, the smaller reels are designed for it.
    Not to mention most freshwater spinning rod guide trains are not designed to choke down the coils off a 4k sized spool. I find better casting distance with 2500/3000 spool sizes on almost all my spinning rods, esp when using straight 5-7lb fluoro.

17. Member
    That’s actually a very good point. I build my own rods and design my guides around 2500 reels & braid. This ends up being one size smaller than typical/comparable store rods (choke guides), which tells me rod companies design for a wider range of use and line choices, but not all the way up to 4000 size (when talking about typical bass rod applications).
    Last edited by JJohnSind; 12-06-2022 at 11:00 AM.

The 3000 series Shimanos have a much nicer handle and deeper spool. I do prefer them but a 2500 will do as well. I use my dsr a LOT and feel it was designed for those 2500/3000 size reels for balance.
    ~Matt Miller
    23’ Phoenix 21 PHX - 250 ProXS

19. Member
    3000 or 4000

20. Member
    I'd be worried about running a 4000 (and especially a 5000) size reel on any dropshot rod. The amount of line that reel takes per turn requires precision handling when slowly working a dropshot across the bottom, and that would quickly go on my nerves. Gotta find the right balance between too little and too much line retrieve per handle turn so that you don't have to turn the handle too much, but also don't accidentally reel down on the bait when working it.

Thankfully others have already pointed out the bad ergonomics between a 4000 size reel and a finesse rod stripper guide, which is definitely an issue for line angle and casting distance.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast