Thread: IRS rules

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

IRS rules

If I have a receipt for a unit I paid 3500.00 dollars for and I sell it for 2500.00 do I have a tax liability under the new 600.00 rule?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...h-app-payments

2. Member
    No sir.

3. Expert at Retired RangrSkipr's Avatar
    Since you have a receipt and can show a loss, no. From what I understand though you won't be able to file on line. Proof of purchases and selling will have to be filed via paper through the mail. If you don't have a receipt of purchase for anything you sell over $600 you will have a tax liability.

There are 87,000 new auditors waiting for you to call the help line if you need assistance.

4. Banned
    My wife is p.o.ed because you have to itemize. We don’t.

5. Member
    Actually, those auditors never got hired. Mid terms slowed all that up.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadStiK View Post

There are 87,000 new auditors waiting for you to call the help line if you need assistance.
    The 87k jobs were not all auditors. First off, that figure was to help offset the 52,000 set to retire over the next decade. 13,000 of those are customer service jobs, (phone help) another 10,000 are seasonal workers to help process paper work, then add in lawyers, appeal officers, examiners, technicians and yes some auditors. It was a great scare tactic, but not based in reality. The funds were not for 87,000 being added in 2022 or 2023, but through 2032.

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Quote Originally Posted by jerzia View Post
    The 87k jobs were not all auditors. First off, that figure was to help offset the 52,000 set to retire over the next decade. 13,000 of those are customer service jobs, (phone help) another 10,000 are seasonal workers to help process paper work, then add in lawyers, appeal officers, examiners, technicians and yes some auditors. It was a great scare tactic, but not based in reality. The funds were not for 87,000 being added in 2022 or 2023, but through 2032.
    Now don’t come on here with facts, that can upsets some folks.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

8. Member
    Just because you sound like you know what you're talking about with all the facts and I forgot what I was talking about.

9. Member
    So what happens if you sell something you bought used and don’t have a receipt?

10. Member
    Pay cash...keep your mouth shut...been that way for years 87k or not.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkDriver View Post
    Pay cash...keep your mouth shut...been that way for years 87k or not.
    You send cash in the mail? Or electronically…how would that even work?
    __________________________________________________ _______________
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, He would have given us stomachs."
    -David Daye

12. Member
    Good one

13. Member
    Use PP as friend and not goods there won't be a problem.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by DeadStiK View Post
    Since you have a receipt and can show a loss, no. From what I understand though you won't be able to file on line. Proof of purchases and selling will have to be filed via paper through the mail. If you don't have a receipt of purchase for anything you sell over $600 you will have a tax liability.

Wrong on all counts.

P01135809

15. Member
    Do not forget the CI division of the IRS, you know, the guy's with guns and real bullets that put away the drug dealers and crime boss' in "Club Fed" for tax fraud that get out on there other charges. Think Al Capone as a example.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ProVle View Post
    Do not forget the CI division of the IRS, you know, the guy's with guns and real bullets that put away the drug dealers and crime boss' in "Club Fed" for tax fraud that get out on there other charges. Think Al Capone as a example.
    Not positive of this figure at all, but I believe that there are only 2100 agents in that division.

17. Hawg Catcher!! Big Bass Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KMcClure View Post
    So what happens if you sell something you bought used and don’t have a receipt?
    Exactly!! No longer use PayPal because of it. Bought things new and decided to sell later and didn’t have receipts.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Bass Man View Post
    Exactly!! No longer use PayPal because of it. Bought things new and decided to sell later and didn’t have receipts.
    My daughter does an etsy buisness selling vintage clothes she picked up at tag sales goodwill etc.. When you itemize if your figures are reasonable without a receipt they are considered legit. Yes she has been audited. As long as you dont insult someones intelligence they accept that you cant provide receipt for every transcation dealing in used goods.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D.O.C. 989 View Post
    If I have a receipt for a unit I paid 3500.00 dollars for and I sell it for 2500.00 do I have a tax liability under the new 600.00 rule?

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/...h-app-payments
    When I was self employed by the fact I had an injury that prevented me from working in my trades I went to my accountant to file. Due to the fact that my costs for self employment put my income below taxable levels he told me I didnt need to file. I didnt overcome my threshold for owing. You would have to add and subtract itemization the 3500 /2500 from your yearly income to file it. Its a wash. Im not up to speed on the new laws but back in the day you didnt have to waste your time unless it was a primary income.

20. Member
    I wouldn’t worry about it.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast