St.Croix Legend X casting rods

Anyone throwing the St.Croix Legend X casting rods? I like the the specs on the 7'6" MH MF for a 1/2oz jig rod.Interested in thoughts on the mod/fast action and if the rods are worth the $400 + price tag.

2. Member
    Can’t speak to that exact model of rod but I can speak to the price point for that lineup. I think there is a real argument to make that they are the best deal available at about the $400 price point. They aren’t quite an NRX but they aren’t very far considering the cost savings. I always quite liked the actions on the St Croixs but many find them polarizing since they can be slower action than advertised. Warranty is incredible. Color is… well there’s color on it and that’s a very nice feature.

All that being said, for me the half oz jig rod in their lineup is without question the 7’4 Heavy and even better its one of the most ridiculously versatile rods out there.

3. Member
    Just received a 7' MHF Legend X Thursday. Haven't used on the water yet, but have done some casting/pitching in the yard with a 1/2oz jig. Here is my opinion, others may differ. The rod will be a great 1/2 oz jig rod and 3/4oz doesn't overpower it. Rod pitches great with 1/2 and 3/4. The rod will be very versatile.
    This rod is NOT a sexy rod like the Japanese manufacturers (Megabass, Shimano, Daiwa). IMO the worst color of all the St Croix lines. However I didn't buy the rod for it's looks. I am a big fan of St Croix spinning rods, but have thought that their casting rods were horribly balanced and overpowered for the rating. I have a 5.7oz Lew's reel on the rod and it is light and balances pretty good. Rod has a good tip and is what I would call a MH. Reviews on the sensitivity are great, hope they are true.

Based on the power and action of the 7' MHF I don't think I would like a Moderate fast action for jigs, especially ones with thick hooks. But the 7'6' MHMF might be the ticket? I would guess the 7'4" Heavy that previous poster recommended would be better. I just like a fast or extra fast action for jigs, worms.

Worth $400+. Can't help you there. There is not a bass rod on the planet I would give $400 for. I don't think you have to pay that much for a great rod (but that's me). Others may think that is a good price for what you are getting, and they would be right. Worth is subjective. I DID think the 7'MHF Legend X casting and a 6'10" MLXF Legend Elite were worth the 40% off St Croix rods I gave for both on Land Big Fish's sale this past weekend.

Good luck on your decision. Sometimes you just have to blindly go for it.

4. Member
    Thanks for the insight guys. ALF was running the same special with St. Croix rods and I almost pulled the trigger on it.

5. Member
    I think they're a better line than the dobyns ecstasy. That's more a comment on how good they are than a dis on dobyns.

6. Member
    I use the Legend Elite 7' 6" MH MF for jigs all the time. It's my primary jig rod when using braid. I have a Steez Power Pitch I typically have fluoro on. I don't fish many rods over 7' 2" because I don't like the length but ended up really liking the Legend Elite for jigs with braid. I thought the Legend Elite and Legend X use the same blank. I did get it on a 40% off sale but it's a rod I use frequently for jigs.

7. Member
    I bought the 7'6 MH MF with the intention of using it as a Jig rod with Fluoro. I wasn't crazy about that setup. I switched to braid and it's much better. I typically throw half oz jigs and it does that well. With that being said I will be trying the 7'4" Heavy for Jigs come spring.
    Last edited by Car_nut15; 12-07-2022 at 07:02 PM.