MDI Depth Reading Problem

In the past I've only had SI models so this problem had me puzzled. Have a Helix 10 MDI G4N on bow connected to a Helix 10 MSI G4N at console first time out yesterday checking the units. The networking seems ok but I could never get a depth reading on the MDI and no DI. At random times it would show erroneous depths way over the actual depth for a few seconds and then nothing. I could select the console sonar as source and view that but not from the bow. Tried resetting several times without success and checked connections. Suspect it may be a bad transducer out of the box? Transducer is mounted externally on Ultrex TM.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

Swap the displays. The Temp/DI/2D are the same connections on both.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. I stopped by the Dealer after posting this and they loaned me a MDI transducer to try also. I wasn't aware that I could connect a SI model to a DI transducer
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818

4. Member
    I have the same unit on the bow that I’m using with the MDI transducer built into the Ultrex. I’ve tried multiple things (updating unit, changing depth and sensitivity settings, changing connected transducer setting, resetting defaults, ensuring power supply is good, etc) and never got it to work and am currently networking the 2d / mdi from my transom transducer and console unit. Hopefully you get your issues worked out.

5. Member
    Update: Was able to get a spare transducer and tested it on the water today. As soon as I lowered it into the water it began to record depth. So, the original transducer that came with the unit was bad from the factory. The cable and pins looked good so might have been something wrong internally.
    Wes
    2023 Phoenix 818