smoking 2 turkeys in a WSM??

I smoke a turkey every year for our Sunday School Christmas meal. This year I need to smoke two birds in my 18 inch WSM. One bird takes about 3.5 hours at 300 degrees. How much time do I need to smoke 2 birds?
    thanks!

2. Member
    Until it's done ... internal temp of 150F is safe, it will rise to 155F during the resting time.
    Yes, I'm aware the published safe value is 165F, but that's the universal food safety value.
    Poultry is more than fine at home at +150F, plus more tender, moist and pleasing to eat.
    Please don't cook meat based on time, always use internal temperature via thermometer.

3. Member
    Totally agree. All the meats I cook on the smoker or grill are cooked to a specific internal temp.

4. Member
    As long as you have airflow around each bird it shouldn't take much longer than one bird.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeky View Post
    As long as you have airflow around each bird it shouldn't take much longer than one bird.
    This. Are they on separate grates? It will probably take a few minutes more, maybe 30 or so, but as long as they’re not touching each other they’ll be fine. To be on the safe side I’d put them in an hour earlier than you’d do for just one. When they hit the temp wrap ‘em up and chuck them in a cooler. They’ll stay juicy. Another thing I’ve used is the ‘keep warm’ button on my oven. Just keep them wrapped and in a dish/pan and they’ll come out great.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fr8dog View Post
    This. Are they on separate grates? It will probably take a few minutes more, maybe 30 or so, but as long as they’re not touching each other they’ll be fine. To be on the safe side I’d put them in an hour earlier than you’d do for just one. When they hit the temp wrap ‘em up and chuck them in a cooler. They’ll stay juicy. Another thing I’ve used is the ‘keep warm’ button on my oven. Just keep them wrapped and in a dish/pan and they’ll come out great.
    Thanks. Yes they are on separate racks. In the WSM the racks are one on top of the other with enough room so the bird on the bottom rack doesn't touch the underside of the top rack.