Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Storing Lithium batteries

I'm storing two Impulse 60Ah batteries for the winter in an unheated attached garage. Should I leave the Noco Genius10 automatic chargers hooked up constantly or charge once a month?
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

2. Member
    I have been told that you don't need to charge the Lithium batteries over the winter. They should be stored at 70-80% SOC(state of charge). I have done this for the last 2 years, never removed them from my boat and no problems. The boat is stored inside an unheated barn.

Rajun Cajun
    Johnson 1995 #J130TLEOP
    S# GO3872031

Scuba is correct charge them to 80% and leave them alone till spring

Do not try and charge them in freezing weather!
    "The handicapped angler"

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    Scuba is correct charge them to 80% and leave them alone till spring

Do not try and charge them in freezing weather!
    Our Impulse lithiums are recommended to be left at 50 to 70 percent state of charge for storage of 3 months to 1 year and stored above 40 degrees Fahrenheit. No need leave them on a charger nor do we recommend for "long term storage"

5. Member
    Funny how two different battery manufacturers have different storage recommendations.
    Lithium Hub, who manufacturers Ionic batteries just told me last week to charge them to 100% and leave them in the boat without a charge whether it is freezing out or not.
    This comes directly from the manufacturer.
    Can Impulse explain this to us?
    Thank you

6. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Funny how two different battery manufacturers have different storage recommendations.
    Lithium Hub, who manufacturers Ionic batteries just told me last week to charge them to 100% and leave them in the boat without a charge whether it is freezing out or not.
    This comes directly from the manufacturer.
    Can Impulse explain this to us?
    Thank you
    lithium hub maker of there ionic line of batteries have to warranty there batteries . If they wanna tell you 100 percent and do not care if sit in sub zero freezing temperatures that's there call. Ionic also uses prismatic cells where we and most others use cylindrical cells. . I'm letting OP know what we recommend for his batteries since they are indeed Impulse. What we recommend is what we find is best for our line of batteries. Does it mean you would have a issue if you left them at 100 and in freezing temperatures most likely no. However we recommend what we feel is best for our Impulse. You should always follow however your particular lithium companies recommendations hope this helps.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-02-2022 at 05:11 PM.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    lithium hub maker of there ionic line of batteries have to warranty there batteries . If they wanna tell you 100 percent and do not care if sit in sub zero freezing temperatures that's there call. Ionic also uses prismatic cells where we and most others use cylindrical cells. . I'm letting OP know what we recommend for his batteries since they are indeed Impulse. What we recommend is what we find is best for our line of batteries. Does it mean you would have a issue if you left them at 100 and in freezing temperatures most likely no. However we recommend what we feel is best for our Impulse. You should always follow however your particular lithium companies recommendations hope this helps.
    Thanks for the quick response. Still somewhat surprised as for the cost of these batteries we all want to do the correct thing for the longevity of these batteries.
    It is some work to disconnect four batteries, with their associated wiring and ratchet straps. And yes, I know you have carrying handles on your batteries.
    (I beat you to that).
    Just wonder what everyone else is doing with there Ionic batteries.
    Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Aj14 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. Still somewhat surprised as for the cost of these batteries we all want to do the correct thing for the longevity of these batteries.
    It is some work to disconnect four batteries, with their associated wiring and ratchet straps. And yes, I know you have carrying handles on your batteries.
    (I beat you to that).
    Just wonder what everyone else is doing with there Ionic batteries.
    Thanks again.
    Nothing !!
    They haven't left the boat in 4 years----I charge when getting off the water. So whatever % there at when I parked, which is usually close to 100 % That's where they stay until used again--- If its been sitting for over a month I give it a short charge and go fish.

9. Member
    I live in Northern Minnesota. I bought three 60ah Impulse Lithium batteries last year. When winter came, I charged the batteries, unconnected the charger, and left them in an unheated garage all winter. For 3-4 months the temperatures are continually below freezing so the BMS wouldn't allow the batteries to charge anyway. We had quite a few days at -20F and a few at -30F. Come spring, all three batteries failed in a strange way. Two batteries took a charge to 100% and one stayed at 0% charge. Impulse replaced the first one. A week later the new one and one other showed 100% charge and one showed zero % charge that had previously shown 100%. Impulse replaced that one. A week later, the two new ones showed 100% charge and the third one showed 0%. Impulse replaced the third one. The new batteries performed great again all year. This year I have taken them out of the boat and moved them to my heated basement along with my Noco charger. The charger is unplugged but I will check them periodically to see if they need a bump. I hope this works and I think it will based on what I read here. I don't know about Ionic but I know firsthand that Impulse will not survive a winter in below freezing temps if left unplugged in an unheated garage. It's a pain to bring them inside but the performance of the lithiums vs my old AGM's makes it worth to me.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by fishnfireman View Post
    Nothing !!
    They haven't left the boat in 4 years----I charge when getting off the water. So whatever % there at when I parked, which is usually close to 100 % That's where they stay until used again--- If its been sitting for over a month I give it a short charge and go fish.
    keep in mind were talking long term storage non use of 3 to 5 months or longer in northern climates. Deep Winter storage. Here In NY its possible get 2 weeks straight of -5 to -20 degrees. Not from trip to trip month to month or anything less then 3 months of straight non use. It is also a "recommendation" for the longevity of the cells . Will your car run for 100, 000 miles without changing your oil sure is it great for the motor nope. Manufacturers have a recommended mileage to change your oil for the best longevity of the engine.

11. Member
    Why take them out of the boat for "storage" in the same cold environment?

12. Member
    Whatever you do, don't store them on a concrete floor.

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by toofy View Post
    Why take them out of the boat for "storage" in the same cold environment?
    you wouldnt you would be taking them out and would keep them above 40 degrees. If your in Texas lets say and never see below 40 degrees or a min amount of days below 40 degrees then would be no need to take them out your correct.

14. Member
    WOW, glad I read this! I almost went with Impulse Lithium batteries. I live in Maine and keep my batteries in an unheated garage. I also have a lot of cold spring and falls that would drop below 40 degrees. I am not pulling batteries for storage, that is crazy!

15. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Nothing !!
    The cathode deteriorates when stored at full charge. I have no clue what the rate of damage is though.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    The cathode deteriorates when stored at full charge. I have no clue what the rate of damage is though.
    It's rare that mine sits for long, with the exception of shoulder surgery two years ago and soon to have another...Mine never sits for more than 30 days.
    So hopefully it's a non-issue.

17. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bgibson View Post
    WOW, glad I read this! I almost went with Impulse Lithium batteries. I live in Maine and keep my batteries in an unheated garage. I also have a lot of cold spring and falls that would drop below 40 degrees. I am not pulling batteries for storage, that is crazy!
    lol you dont have to pull them everytime the temp drops below 40 degrees really misinturpeted what was said. We would recommend if in a unheated garage in a state such as Maine you pull them for winter storage (when they are going to sit 3 months or longer in below 40 degree temps). I Pull my lithiums end of November store them on a shelf in my basement sit there till early april here in NY. Really not a big deal pulling out batteries that weigh 17 to 29 lbs ea. Can have it done in about 20 min total.. so 40 total min of my timetaking them out and putting them back in once a season is worth it to me to best protect my investment. if you wanted to use anderson connectors it could cut that 20 min prob down to 5 to 10 min.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 12-07-2022 at 10:55 AM.

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    It's rare that mine sits for long, with the exception of shoulder surgery two years ago and soon to have another...Mine never sits for more than 30 days.
    So hopefully it's a non-issue.
    would be a non issue for any lithium ..

Seems to me K&KKustomz advice is not only accurate for Impulse Lithium's but just common sense. I'll be following his advice for my new Impulse's.

I went with this for my quick connects: Connect-Ease RCE24VBCHK Easy 24V Trolling Motor Connection Kit with Onboard Charging. If they don't do well, I'll look for Anderson's.
    2020 Ranger VS1782 DC
    Mercury ProXS 150
    Garmin 106 Ultra/UHD 93sv
    Ulterra Quest, 115/90

So a few days in the 20s isn’t going to hurt my impulses?
    I wasn’t expecting to see temps in the teens in TX and yet, here we are…
    united in the pursuit of bass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast