transducer leveling ?

On a Phoenix 721 with hi jacker jack plate, how do you level the transducer to get best results using a "transducer shield / saver mount/bracket?
    I was told to mount it flush with jack plate and that should be level when in water. The type of mounting bracket from transducer shield/saver for my transducer has to be drilled for installation.
    Seems like it better be right the first time or will have to redrill to get it right.
    Thoughts??

2. Member
    What brand of electronics and transducer? The Transducer Saver Mount forward part vertical leg should be parallel with the vertical angle of the transom. They Manufacturer each angle mounting bracket that way per boat type. Reach out to them their customer service is great and can save you time and mistakes.

3. Member
    Garmin brand, phoenix 721, hi jacker jack plate, gt-56 transducer
    Will call tomorrow, thanks
    Last edited by 200721i; 12-01-2022 at 08:47 PM.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    If you have the hole shot plate, you can use a wedge that Transducer Shield Saver makes along with the shield. Now you dont say what transducer brand and model. As for the wedge, you will need the one that is for a 90* jackplate. If you do not have a hole shot plate then you need the shield and jackplate L bracket.....

Do not mount it flush with jp as the angle will be off.....there are other brands that make brackets, but IMO, TSS is the best....

Here is mine on my Phoenix with holeshot plate.

YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

5. Member
    Here is how you can determine if the angle is correct. Unfortunately if it is not, the TSS cannot be adjusted

https://www.google.ca/search?q=trans...id:JuYsmJRc_fE
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

If you have a Lowrance System/Point-1, you can use the data from it to determine your true hull angle at idle speed - then just replicate that on land by adjusting the trailer. Sort of the high tech version of leveling method shown in the video. Hummingbird and Garmin probably have something similar as well.

7. Member
    Good video, thanks

8. Scraps
    Another method of getting the angle, you can look at the scum line on the jack plate. I leveled mine and it's about the same with a slight additional compensation for idle speed. For the mount, I have the one that goes on the side of the plate, I just used one of the two fastener holes, rotated the piece that holds the ducer, marked where that second hole would be, and drilled a new hole to give the right angle for the ducer. To do it over again I would buy the wedge mounts for under the hole shot plate.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Another method of getting the angle, you can look at the scum line on the jack plate. I leveled mine and it's about the same with a slight additional compensation for idle speed. For the mount, I have the one that goes on the side of the plate, I just used one of the two fastener holes, rotated the piece that holds the ducer, marked where that second hole would be, and drilled a new hole to give the right angle for the ducer. To do it over again I would buy the wedge mounts for under the hole shot plate.
    This is exactly what I've done on my last two boats.

10. Member
    Last edited by tj; 06-25-2023 at 12:56 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

11. Member
    I took a 4 ft level with me on the water and placed it on the rear deck. I then I shimmed the level until it was level and recorded the measurement (mine was 3/4" gap at one end)
    For this to be spot on you need to have your boat loaded front to back as you usually fish
    Then back at the shop I reproduced that set up by adjusting the trailer height. From there I used a torpedo level on the transducer.
    2004 Stratos 285 Pro XL 150 Hp Optimax OT862351

12. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    I took a 4 ft level with me on the water and placed it on the rear deck. I then I shimmed the level until it was level and recorded the measurement (mine was 3/4" gap at one end)
    For this to be spot on you need to have your boat loaded front to back as you usually fish
    Then back at the shop I reproduced that set up by adjusting the trailer height. From there I used a torpedo level on the transducer.
    That is how I did my 3N1 transducer on my Ranger worked for me
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 200721i View Post
    On a Phoenix 721 with hi jacker jack plate, how do you level the transducer to get best results using a "transducer shield / saver mount/bracket?
    I was told to mount it flush with jack plate and that should be level when in water. The type of mounting bracket from transducer shield/saver for my transducer has to be drilled for installation.
    Seems like it better be right the first time or will have to redrill to get it right.
    Thoughts??
    You paid for a great quality transducer mount that is custom made for your exact boat and jackplate model. Follow the instructions from them and you will get it perfect the first time. It is pretty simple, really. Hold the bracket on your jackplate and slide it forward so the leading edge is flush with your transom. Mark the holes and drill them. Look at the picture and my video and you will see how mine is angled exactly flush with the glass transom.

ciao,
    Marc