RV and Marine Antifreeze

does it hurt anything to leave some Antifreeze in the bilge of my boat for the winter?

2. Member
    Nope, great idea, ask me how I know…..
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Its a good idea and another thing is to lower the front of the trailer so the boat is tilted to the bow, then all the anti-freeze and water that is in the bilge will collect in the bow and drain away from the pumps in the back.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

4. Member
    I thought it would be a good idea to raise the bow so any water that gets into the bilge would drain out.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    Its a good idea and another thing is to lower the front of the trailer so the boat is tilted to the bow, then all the anti-freeze and water that is in the bilge will collect in the bow and drain away from the pumps in the back.
    This would be the worst thing you could ever do to any hull.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    I thought it would be a good idea to raise the bow so any water that gets into the bilge would drain out.
    Exactly

7. Member
    Don't know what good it would do just lying in the bottom of the boat if no water is present.

8. Member
    The important issue when winterizing is to get that anti freeze circulated through the pumps. I pour it into each of the outlets on the stern of the boat until I see it start to accumulate in the bilge area. Then I pour some more into the bilge area. I simply leave all of the accumulated pink antifreeze in the bilge area over winter with the drain plug in. I want my pumps saturated with antifreeze over winter so I leave the bow raised. I also pour a bunch into the live well and turn on the recirculating pump for a bit. I once had the experience of a cracked pump housing as a result of freezing when I did not do this procedure.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S