Dedicated Battery and Required Capacity for LVS34 - Black Box - 106SV

Purchased the above items and thinking through my install/battery options.

I am leaning towards going with a dedicated lithium battery for the livescope components and 106sv screen.

From my research the draw on the 106sv and the black box is roughly 3.75ah give or take. I'm reading here and elsewhere of guys using a 30ah lithium and fishing 2, 8-9 hour days on a single charge with no issues. By my math the 30ah lithium battery will only give about 8.5 hours if my estimate on the 3.75 draw figure is correct. I want to have up to 12 hours capacity on a single charge and as such I'm looking at a 50ah battery. Anyone have additional thoughts/experience on this setup? Is my amp draw estimate incorrect? Thanks.
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

Your Math is correct. I have this same setup and I get 8 hours but not much more. If you have room, go with the 50AH

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I have a 106sv and the black box plus a HB Helix 10 mega. My Ionic 30ah has a bluetooth app and all three devises draw about 4a and run about 7 hours.

The 106sv and black box alone draw about 1.9a. Used for LS only so no other transducer used.

4. Member
    I'm running a amped 30 and a ls and1222 , I fish alot of 8 HR days and I get 2 days from mine and it stays lit all day I think once it got to 11.5 and screen started flashing

I have a Garmin 1022 head unit and the GLS10 black box on my Amped Outdoors 30ah battery. I do 8 hour trips with no issues. I have done back to back trips without charging but they were only abut 5-6 hours each. At the end of the second day it was low but still operational. I feel confident I could do a 10-12 hour one day trip if I wanted. On a typical 8 hour trip it will start out at around 13.3 - 13.4V and it seems like it drops to 13.1 very quickly but it stays rock solid on 13.1V for several hours. Buy hour 8 its around 12.9V

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JR19 View Post
    I have a Garmin 1022 head unit and the GLS10 black box on my Amped Outdoors 30ah battery. I do 8 hour trips with no issues. I have done back to back trips without charging but they were only abut 5-6 hours each. At the end of the second day it was low but still operational. I feel confident I could do a 10-12 hour one day trip if I wanted. On a typical 8 hour trip it will start out at around 13.3 - 13.4V and it seems like it drops to 13.1 very quickly but it stays rock solid on 13.1V for several hours. Buy hour 8 its around 12.9V

Thanks, good information. A couple other q's - On the switch, do you have this wired to kill power to the black box as well as the screen? Do you have a one bank onboard charger in the box as well or do you just pull the battery out for charging?
    2021 BassCat Pantera Classic - Mercury
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2015 BassCat Caracal Mercury - Minn Kota - Humminbird - Powerpole
    2012 BassCat Pantera II - Mercury
    2004 BassCat Cougar - Mercury

I run a NOCO GENIUS GEN5X1 BATTERY CHARGER 12V 5A.

Works great.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    Your Math is correct. I have this same setup and I get 8 hours but not much more. If you have room, go with the 50AH

What kind of bus bar is that , and how is it attached to the battery ?
    2021 rt188p , Mercury 115 Pro XS CT , Croxton Razor 4XLR 22 , Z lock 4” jack plate , 8’ power pole blades

Quote Originally Posted by Madeintheshade View Post
    What kind of bus bar is that , and how is it attached to the battery ?
    Bought them on Amazon. They are attached to the battery case with double sided tape.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

10. Member
    I put a toggle switch with the little rubber boot to kill power to both units when not in use

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I'd go with our 60 ah. On sale 20 percent off $440 free shipping no tax 20 percent more capacity then 50 plus a 10 year non prorated warranty.

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TAKFishing View Post
    Thanks, good information. A couple other q's - On the switch, do you have this wired to kill power to the black box as well as the screen? Do you have a one bank onboard charger in the box as well or do you just pull the battery out for charging?

The 1022 and GLS10 are both wired to the disconnect/battery. When I turn the disconnect switch you see in the picture on/off it powers the head unit as well as the black box.

As for charging the battery it stays inside my rod locker. If you look coming off the battery you will see a red and black wire with a red Anderson/quick connector. The battery charger is not water proof so I did not mount it in the boat. I have it in a small travel bag and keep it laying on a shelf in my garage when not in use. In the event I were to go somewhere and stay overnight I would simply put my travel bag in the locker but otherwise it stays stored in my garage. The Amped Outdoors 30ah comes standard with 3 amp charger that has alligator clips that attach to the battery when charging. I upgraded to the 10 amp charger because it has the quick connect anderson connector. From what I've been told the 3 amp charger is all you need but but upgrading for just a few dollars more to the 10 amp I drastically cut down the charge time and got a quick connector that I prefer over an alligator clip. In theory a 3 amp charger will charge a fully dead 30 amp battery in 10 hours and a 10 amp charger will do it in 3 hours. My 10 amp charger will charge mine within 1-2 hours after a normal days fishing.

If you decide to go with the 30ah Amped Outdoors battery I suggest you get the tall version. Reason being is I like the post with female threads verses the spade type post on the wide version. If you go to their website and look at both batteries you will see what I'm talking about. The batteries are on page 1 and the charger I upgraded to is on page 2

https://ampedoutdoors.com/collections/lifepo4-battery

FYI...I just now saw something I did not see when I order mine 2 years ago. You can select a quick connect plug for the 3 amp charger. It's not an anderson connector but it is a quick connect/disconnect. To get it select the quick connect for 5MM ring terminal for a 30ah tall battery.
    Last edited by JR19; 12-01-2022 at 06:53 PM.