Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bhmsupra View Post
    Ok Mr. Moderator. - I added my SN and specs to my OP.
    No, I have not had a failure.
    My question is more about the unacceptable reliability of the later Model 2 Stroke Mercury ProXS 250s.
    MSRP on that motor was $19,999 back then. I'd like to have a premium quality experience with my motor long term, god knows I paid a premium price. Also paid a premium price for the warranty.

I'm just an old hack. I have been around the industry for ABOUT 40 years. Owned the XR6 from the late 80s / early 90s- Bulletproof. Owned the OptiMax from 2002, 2003, 2005 time period, it's bulletproof too and legendary in reliability. I associate myself with many mercury mechanics and weekend warrior tournament anglers around Birmingham and the popular opinion is that the later model ProXs is as bad or worse than the Ficht from the late 90's. At least Evinrude revised that problem, had a recall and made corrections. It was the beginning of the end for Evinruide IMO....but that's another topic.

My question is, when or if Mercury going to have a re-call or make a revision so that these things will run reliably, long term?
    How does the failure rates of late model ProXs compare to the other Mercury motors I mentioned above?

The increasing pricing pattern of the Platinum Warranty correlated directly to economics or the claims and issues inherent with this engine. I'd bet money on it. Said another way, the rate of the warranty over 4 years has increased at a rate greater than new 2 stroke engine prices. Am I wrong?

So, respectfully come back with some statistics and actual content about my concerns.
    WHY ARE THEY POPPING AT AN ALARMING RATE AND WHAT IS MERCURY GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

If you'd rather me move this post it to the BBC Lounge, I'd be glad to.

Thanks
    The number you provided is not YOUR engine serial number. It is, however, close enough that I determined you saw an "eight" where there wasn't one.

Mercury produced their last Optimax engines for standard production more than 48 months ago. They will honor the Factory Warranties, and any Product Protection Plans out there... and they will support the engines for a reasonable number of years as they always have.

Don't expect to see "recalls" based on hypothetical (and likely imaginary) problems. Your claims simply don't match up to what we're seeing here... as a matter of fact, I've not replaced a 250 ProXS Optimax powerhead in the last 18 months (perhaps longer than that). Perhaps that is due to consumers in the area (and our customer base) taking excellent care of them, and treating them right.

Don't expect to see any "Revision" because there's nothing to revise... no more production.

Product Protection Plan pricing is based on CURRENT production models (not those of the last decade). Parts aren't getting any cheaper- and the newer Powerheads and Gearcases (as well as much of the electronics) are considerably more intricate and expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by bhmsupra
    Ok Buddy....
    7 of the 10 folks I know that currently own or formerly own late model 2 Stroke 250 ProXs blew. One is on his third powerhead.
    At the the biggest Mercury dealer in town, ~70% of the 250s were 2 Stroke Pro XS that had blown. That was my observation back in May of this year. If I remember, I counted about 17 of them.
    It's definitely a good thing you edited that comment as you've already done enough insulting here today.

Before posting again- read the Forum Announcements, which you agreed to the first time you posted.

Nothing in your post is intended to be useful, productive, or helpful. And nothing in your post is directly related to your engine, either.

Please keep your posts in the future to actual problems with your engine, that you currently need (and want) help with. We're always happy to help, but you'll need to check the attitude at the door.
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 12-01-2022 at 08:01 PM.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    I had my 2017 with 462 hours blow this year 4 1/2 months months out of warranty. Lucky Mercury did warranty my powerhead and replaced it but I will have to pay for the labor. ( which I am happy)

I have a 4 stroke now but have had Mercury DFI motors since 2004. The first was a used 1998 135. It died at just over 1000 hours due to a failure on my part. After that a 115, 175, 200, and a 250 (all ProXS) and not a single engine one blew. Not a single Mercury DFI has blown in my bass club in the last 3 years. While your buddies think they may have maintained them, they most likely missed something and/or did not have a Smartcraft instrument.

Who is your “biggest Mercury Dealer” in town?

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Quote Originally Posted by angle iron View Post
    Meticulous maintenance required for longevity which is why this forum is so helpful. Thanks Don and Joe54!!
    Well stated!
    Retired 2022...Ranger 2011 Z520, OptiMax 250 1B822149, 8" Bob's Jack-plate, Helix 12si / Helix12di, Duel 12' Talon's, Ultrex 112 i-Pilot Link, Mega 360 and Bravo XS 25.
    At ~400 hours had injectors clean and calibrated by INTEGRITY Injection (by
    European Marine)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12