Don. Have a parts warrenty question

Don,
    Just a question as I am curious.
    As per spark plugs. In the pinned post you have it listed that the plugs when bought through a dealer come with a factory 12 month warrenty.
    I understand that warrenty covers parts and labor on that spark plug.
    What I am courious about is what else does that cover? Does it cover parts and labor for issues caused by that particular part?

Just hypothetical.
    I buy Spark Plugs for my motor from a Merc Dealer.
    3 Months later something crazy happens and that plug comes apart and tears up a piston and head. Will the Mercury warrenty cover just those affected parts like a trashed piston and that head.
    Or will it cover the entire cost to have the engine repaired, meaning If it only covers that piston and head what about the other head that has to come off and the engine torn down compleatly so that trashed piston can be replaced.
    If that piston costs $200 and the head and gaskets cost another 1000 but yet to be able to do this repair the entire engine is torn down and rebuilt with a total cost of $6000 I would assume that extra cost for the repair has to come from the customer.

Hope this makes sense. Im just trying to understand how the warrenty works and what it covers.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    The P&A Warranty covers Parts and Labor required due to a Defect in Materials or Workmanship (manufacturing in this case). Mercury backs this through their network of Factory Trained Dealers, with OEM parts.

I have seen a couple of cases where a porcelain broke loose in the cylinder and wiped out that cylinder. One in particular that I dealt with, Mercury provided a powerhead, ancillary parts as needed and paid the labor to complete the repair.

The second one I saw is actually documented in the FAQ Section under "Don't use Aftermarket Plugs in your....". This particular consumer actually called in and asked Customer Service for the Spark Plug Part Number. The call was logged (as are most all calls), and it was later determined that the information given to the consumer was wrong. Apparently shortly after putting the engine back in the water a plug came apart and melted down a cylinder (plus some other plug related problems). However: Joe Customer chose to put an "aftermarket equivalent" of what he had been told to use in the engine. Since it wasn't Mercury's Plug, wasn't the plug they told him to use, and wasn't even made by NGK... he had to foot the bill for repairs. Had he used the correct OEM Plug, or even the one that was incorrect (and documented to have been told to him), the outcome for his wallet would have been quite different.

BTW... Mercury doesn't have dealers "rebuild" engines. Replacement (New or Reman) powerhead assembly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Perfect. That was exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks a ton for the info Don.
    I had assumed that is how they did it...Similar to how it was done in the auto industry where I came from but I wanted to ask to make sure I understand correctly.