Marty Donlea

Carpet glue for gluing padding to carpet

Will Henry's 663 work for both .Gluing the padding to the deck and then gluing the carpet to the padding?

2. Member
    It has to say it will dry under rubber. Weldwood makes glue and Birdsong if you can find a gallon of it.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott S. View Post
    It has to say it will dry under rubber. Weldwood makes glue and Birdsong if you can find a gallon of it.
    Birdsong is the best I have used, I bought it from the factory, not cheap but good stuff, ecan answer your questions also.

I used Weldwood contact cement when I did mine.
    Put the contact cement on both the padding and the carpet where they meet together. Let both get tacky to the touch, then lay it down. Make sure when you put it down its where you want it cause it sticks like crazy.

One thing to note while putting the padding on the deck of the boat, after a bit the padding will bubble up.
    What i did was I used my old carpet as a pattern and once i put the padding down on the boat, I put the plywood on top of it and weighed it down with concrete blocks and left it for about 3 days. once it stays down without bubbling then put the carpet down.

5. Member
    ^^^^ Had the same bubbling issue, used leftover bricks strategically placed, checked every 1/2 hour iron so until dry...turned out perfect.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    I used Weldwood contact cement when I did mine.
    Put the contact cement on both the padding and the carpet where they meet together. Let both get tacky to the touch, then lay it down. Make sure when you put it down its where you want it cause it sticks like crazy.

One thing to note while putting the padding on the deck of the boat, after a bit the padding will bubble up.
    What i did was I used my old carpet as a pattern and once i put the padding down on the boat, I put the plywood on top of it and weighed it down with concrete blocks and left it for about 3 days. once it stays down without bubbling then put the carpet down.

It won't dry, you could put a tank on it and it won't dry. I was doing a carpet install on a boat. i took the foot controll off, pulled the carpet up and the glue was still wet. The edge of the foot contoll cut he air off to the glue under it, they must have jammed it down right after glue up, it was on there for YEARS,
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

7. Member
    It won't dry, you could put a tank on it and it won't dry. I was doing a carpet install on a boat. i took the foot controll off, pulled the carpet up and the glue was still wet. The edge of the foot contoll cut he air off to the glue under it, they must have jammed it down right after glue up, it was on there for YEARS,
    Are you saying glue under padding will not dry? Do you install padding? What is the best way to install it? Thanks

8. Member
    I used the Weldwood contact cement in the red can to glue the padding down and then the carpet. I did the padding and waited 2-3 days before gluing down the carpet. I used a paint brush to apply all the glue to both sides of everything and let it sit to get very tacky before adhering. I did not have any of the bubbling or any others issues mentioned. It’s been about two years now and all is still good. Hopefully I don’t have any issues anytime soon.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doyce View Post
    I used the Weldwood contact cement in the red can to glue the padding down and then the carpet. I did the padding and waited 2-3 days before gluing down the carpet. I used a paint brush to apply all the glue to both sides of everything and let it sit to get very tacky before adhering. I did not have any of the bubbling or any others issues mentioned. It’s been about two years now and all is still good. Hopefully I don’t have any issues anytime soon.
    Thats what I was going to use on carpet and the pad. I used it years ago on a carpet job. It was some good stuff.
    I probably would have screwed up and put carpet on top of it the same day. I am looking at the 3M high strength 90 spray.
    Someone else mentioned it, was wondering if it might be best for the pad. Thanks

Mine has been on for 3 years now and it still looks like the day i put it on.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Mine has been on for 3 years now and it still looks like the day i put it on.
    Thanks Luke, Weldwood it is.
    How much gap do you leave around the edge? Assume the carpet rolls over edge of pad and glue to floor. Thanks

12. Member
    I left about 3/4 inch around the edge so the carpet would glue directly to the fiberglass. I also added the molding around the edge to hold down the carpet edge and it looks like the padding butts up against the molding.

88CE8F58-34FD-4920-9E9E-682E00F9D87A.jpeg
    8B86E918-9C28-4BB0-BB3D-E7DB98605759.jpeg

I left right around 1" around the edge to glue the carpet to the fiberglass.
    One trick I learned is to leave about 2-3" of carpet around the edges and do those last. It helps to be able to lay the full piece down.
    Then just lift it back and use the same glue method.
    I used some cheap clamps to hold the carpet edge back while I put glue on the carpet and fiberglass and let it get tacky.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DR. DROP View Post
    Are you saying glue under padding will not dry? Do you install padding? What is the best way to install it? Thanks
    exactly, weldwood need air to dry, cut it off and it won't dry. Also if you are using protech padding the weldwood will eat the padding up. Talk to the chaps at birdsong if you need more info. I'm a proech distibutor, I've gone through a couple dozen rolls of their product. Best way is to get some Birsong glue, it looks like weldwood, sprays like weldwood, it works great. Use it under the padding and use it to glue the carpet to the padding. Or, buy the weldwood in the blue and white can for the carpet, and find the weldwood that is designed to go under rubber.
    2023 SCB 20EF
    2023 SCB CC 210LR

15. Member
    Thanks for the tips and info guys!

16. Member
    You can get birdsong adhesive now at boatworxva. https://boatworxva.com/

17. Member
    exactly, weldwood need air to dry, cut it off and it won't dry. Also if you are using protech padding the weldwood will eat the padding up. Talk to the chaps at birdsong if you need more info. I'm a proech distibutor, I've gone through a couple dozen rolls of their product. Best way is to get some Birsong glue, it looks like weldwood, sprays like weldwood, it works great. Use it under the padding and use it to glue the carpet to the padding. Or, buy the weldwood in the blue and white can for the carpet, and find the weldwood that is designed to go under rubber.
    Bird song is no longer in business, you can get the adhesive at https://boatworxva.com/

18. Member
    If you are looking for BirdSong adhesive, we have it! BoatWorx VA is the national distributor for this product. It is available in (1) gallon kits, (5) gallon pails and (50) gallon drums. This kits can be ordered directly at www.boatworxva.com and usually ship in 24-48 hrs. If you have any questions, please give me a shout.
    Rich
    540-882 0807
    rich@boatworxva.com