Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There was a time that I didn't fish but I cannot remember it.

2. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I had a cat and now a phoenix and I agree basscat is an outstanding company and a quality boat as well as they make their own trailers. I do like the layout better in my Phoenix but wish they made their own trailers
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkj5 View Post
    I just wished I could put a Basscat steering wheel on my bird lol.
    I've tried to find one for my nitro as well. Just a good design for viewing your graphs.

Although I don't have a ton of time in both brands, personally I would lean towards the phoenix. I just cannot get into the aesthetics of the styling and the funky "non traditional" lid designs. I will say color selection seems to be a bigger deal on basscats vs some of the other brands IMO. Can either be a good looking boat, or a disaster.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Macsimus View Post
    Very fitting. Especially considering one is from the land of Ferrari and Lamborghini. Probably the best handling supercars out there.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixDrew View Post
    Very fitting. Especially considering one is from the land of Ferrari and Lamborghini. Probably the best handling supercars out there.
    Her supercar tires are flat

6. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    I had a cat and now a phoenix and I agree basscat is an outstanding company and a quality boat as well as they make their own trailers. I do like the layout better in my Phoenix but wish they made their own trailers
    Jim how many times has your Phoenix trailer broken down on you?

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasD View Post
    Her supercar tires are flat
    LOL!
    Phoenix 921ProXP Mercury 250 ProXS

2023 Phoenix 919 here. Of all the boats ive owned, I can honestly say this is the best overall riding boat i've been in. Manuverability and speed of a sports car but handles big water better than most 20footers. Ive been very, very impressed.

9. Member
    These are both fantastic brands. I've only owned Rangers and Phoenix, but have rode in a lot of different brands co angling and got to poke around a lot of boats. I think comparing both brands there are a few differences and things I like/dislike about both.

Starting with BC, I think they have the utmost attention to detail and use only quality components. Listening to Rick you can tell he analyzes every little detail and nothing goes into the boat without a lot of thought and reason. I have not owned one, but everyone raves about their CS and I think that's very true considering they're very active on these boards even. I crawled around all of their boats when I was looking and was very impressed by them. With that being said, I couldn't get myself to love the lay out of the front deck, or rear storage box shapes. I also don't like the TM being so far forward and the position the graphs have to be mounted in. I also wasn't a fan of the rear deck having metal tabs sticking up for the battery compartment lids. With that being said everything is easily accessible in the bilge area, the boats are fast, and have a good rough water ride.

My Phoenix is a 2014 721. The boat is very solid, has a fantastic layout, has the best rough water ride I've ever experienced, and is just flat out functional. Very similar to BC No fancy digital switches to fail like some brands, it's built to last and thought has been put into small things that you'll really appreciate over time. I like the layout of the cockpit, cooler, small storage compartments, and the center console box is nice (new ones are better waterproofed which is an added bonus)

I'll give an honest review of some things I wish were different. Starting with the carpet, it is holding up well but is definitely not as thick as BC (I think newer Phoenix's seem to have thicker carpet). The passenger side rock locker in the cockpit area will leak water, since it is the same compartment as the main rod locker moisture being trapped can be an issue. I wish the bow and console shrouds were all FG, the console is FG 3/4 of the way. I wish they would just make it one solid piece and have it set up so you can put one graph mount or a dual graph mount with a hole ready for rigging wires. Accessing your pumps are a complete nightmare, it requires taking out batteries and being the lid folds backwards makes it even worse. A true nightmare if you have to do it on the water. Finally the rear of the boat sits kind of low in the water which allows waves to come over the back a lot easier than any other brand I've been in. More so of an issue here on LOZ or on the Great Lakes.

One thing to add is the trailer, I haven't had any issues with my trailer had have pulled it >1K miles one way 4 times. It also went 120 miles round trip for 3 years before I got a place at the lake. I know BC makes their own in house, but I can't complain about the Phoenix trailer.

I think you're looking at the two best brands and can't go wrong with either one.

10. Member
    A Phoenix can fly. A cat will not swim and hates water.
    Enough said.
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

11. Smallmouth Junkie!
    I find it interesting that Cat guys are on the Phoenix page slamming Phoenix I suggest that the OP takes a ride in a Phoenix. You will be pleasantly surprised.
    2012 Phoenix 721 pro xp / 250hp SHO
    2003 Skeeter TZX-190 / 150hp OX66

Quote Originally Posted by bmwnc2 View Post
    A Phoenix can fly. A cat will not swim and hates water.
    Enough said.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MichPhoenix77 View Post
    I find it interesting that Cat guys are on the Phoenix page slamming Phoenix I suggest that the OP takes a ride in a Phoenix. You will be pleasantly surprised.

The OP and I both live in / near Michigan. Can we come take a ride in yours?!?!
    2010 Nitro X-5 w/ 90HP Mercury Optimax
    2020 Ultrex Ipilot Link MDI
    Helix 12 MDI G3N
    Helix 12 MSI G3N
    Mega 360

14. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    Jim how many times has your Phoenix trailer broken down on you?
    lol, me none but plenty phoenix trailers out there with issues. More so then BC
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

15. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MichPhoenix77 View Post
    I don’t see a lot of slamming here but I do see a lot of valid points. How many here have owned a cat and a bird? Very few is my guess. Both are great boats and it was hard for me to leave basscat but I preferred the layout of my phoenix
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

16. Mid-West Rally Moderator rudapa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Jim View Post
    lol, me none but plenty phoenix trailers out there with issues. More so then BC
    Mine announces my arrival, they didn't offer that feature when you bought yours.

17. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rudapa View Post
    Mine announces my arrival, they didn't offer that feature when you bought yours.
    it sure does
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

18. Member
    Both brands are great. When I bought my Phoenix, I did a lot of research on the Basscat also. I really liked them both.
    But for the same class boat (18ft - 618 vs the Sabre ), the Phoenix was longer in length than the Basscat, and had more storage, and was rated for a 175 vs a 150.
    2016 Phoenix 618 Pro / Mercury 175 Pro XS

19. Member
    I think both are outstanding boats. A buddy has a Lynx & it fishes & rides really well. I think it comes down to personal preference in what you want in a boat, your not going to go wrong either way. I wanted a 21 & 1/2 ft boat as that’s the max size I could get to fit in the garage, so went with the 921 & have had absolutely no regrets!

2019 Phoenix 921 Pro XP Mercury 250 Pro Xs 4 Stroke

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12