250 ProXS Maintenance Question

Serial number:2B787722

The maintenance decal on my motor says to 'inspect' the low pressure fuel filter every 100 hours or yearly and to 'replace' the low pressure fuel filter every 300 hours or 3 years.

Is this the part number for the filter they are talking about: 8M0106635 ? What do they mean by inspect it? Will you get a warning if it fills with water? Is this the only fuel filter that I need to be concerned with?

I have seen recommendations to replace the lower gasket when replacing the water pump impeller and to use sealant under the gasket. Is this the sealant that is recommended:
    8M0170149 ?

Thanks for the help.

Ron

I just replace mine in its yearly service, it’s a filter, I don’t quite get the “inspect” thing, if I take it out, it goes in the trash
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

3. Member
    Thanks Thommo. Any one else happen to have answers to my other questions? Have a nice day.

Ron

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In reference to your questions:

1. OWNER'S Manual states:
    Quote Originally Posted by Owner's Manual
    Check the engine mounted water‑separating low‑pressure fuel filter for water or contaminants. Replace the filter if required

2. The filter is BLACK. Can you see into it? (Obviously not). The best you can do is to remove it, dump contents into a glass jar for inspection, and look for water or contaminates. Then see if you can easily blow through it. Better yet: Just replace it. I'd say 1:3 that I've pulled are restricted enough that you can note it easily.

3. 8M0106635 is a suitable filter for your engine. Remember that you can look these parts up yourself, by serial number, at: www.mercurypartsonline.net

4. 8M0170149 is the correct sealant to be used under the water pump IMPELLER plate gasket (UPPER gasket). It can also be used under the lower/metal gasket if you wish, or when minor surface imperfections are present.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Thanks so much Don. What is the purpose of the electrical connection to the fuel filter? Will it send some sort of warning if water is detected??? Also, is this the only fuel filter I should be concerned with?

Thanks for all you do for this forum.

Ron

6. Member
    Probably a water in fuel sensor.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes, and Yes. Intended that there be only ONE fuel filter, and that the filter be equipped with a Water in Fuel warning system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

8. Member
    THANKS Don and Silver and Thommo for your help. I really appreciate your time and expertise.