Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bullet boat model history and purchasing tips wanted!!!

Anyone point me in the right direction here? I’m sure someone has all this information complied already.

I’m interested in owning a Bullet. I hadnt got it narrowed down to any particular model. But anything 20-21’. And cost wise anything from I’d say 15k(probably the lowest I could find I bare hull in good shape, 90s model XD) to probably 50k, maybe 60k for a ready to go 80+ boat(not too interested in fancy heavy electronics).

I’m not a tourney angler. Just like to be out on the lake fishing but have a speed addiction and afterwards sit back with a beer and stare at a beautiful boat.

So I’m wanting to know the major model years and changes. Any models to stray from or particulars to look at, i.e. stress cracks/rot/etc.

I’m not minding a small project, like an outboard swap, carpet, but don’t want any projects requiring gelcoat issues, transom repairs.
    1997 TR18 1996 Yamaha Pro V **for sale!!**
    25m Yamaha prop, 175 exhaust tuner, higher compression heads

2016 Bullet 21XRS 250 Merc Opti

2. Member
    '97 model and newer will have the upgraded transom. Other than that they are Bullets, enough said. A 20' really needs a sportmaster of coned lower to get the performance they are known for. Welcome to pm me with specific questions.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    21XD - 1993-current
    21XRD - 2007-current
    21XRS - 2013-current
    21SST - 2017-current

I currently run a 21XRD, it was my "dream boat" but I am now ready for something else sometime later. An XRS is what I want, and will have down the road. I prefer that deck layout much better over the center step lid. I don't care for going 80 any more, so a XRS will suit me fine. Some of the XRS hulls will flat out run, and some won't. Not sure why but I assume setup issues are the problem there.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    Ultra Marine Service - Mercury Outboard sales and service
    1-800-931-9926
    1230 Topside Rd. Louisville, TN 37777
    Showroom & Office Hours M-F 8a-5p

4. Member
    I just sold my 2003 20XDC that I bought new in '03. Great boat was in great shape. It's for sale at Duck River Marine in Tenn, the dealer put a 300R on it but also offers to put a 250 2 stroke if the buyer would like (might would sell just the boat and trailer, but not sure). Its white and black with red pins. I can attest its a great boat. I ran it for 19 years and never had a single issue with it. Kept in a heated and cooled garage, easier life than what I have..lol

I had a flashed 250R on it and it ran upper 90's. When I bought the boat new I had a 2.5 drag on it and it was a 100+ boat.

5. Member
    IMG_2872.jpg IMG_2875.jpg
    Here are a couple of pics

6. Member
    From what Ive seen I like the XRD a bit better, especially the deck being higher. Just seems like there are not as many XRD out there for sale.

Its slim pickings in NC when it comes to Bullets. But I wouldnt mind a road trip to get one, aslong as its what i'm expecting when i get there.

7. Member
    sowenssw, Beautiful boat. Looks awesome on the trailer. I'm going to be mad if i cant find something when i go to pull the trigger. Im having to lay some ground work first for the wife. Otherwise she will divorce me when i buy a 80mph boat.

Is the gelcoat quality better on Bullets, say compared to Tritons? Did Bullet go through the issues with EPA regs and gelcoats in the late 90s, early 2000s? Or is it Bullet owners just take care of their boats a bit better?

TN would be a nice drive too.
    Here are a couple of pics[/QUOTE]

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorebeater View Post
    sowenssw, Beautiful boat. Looks awesome on the trailer. I'm going to be mad if i cant find something when i go to pull the trigger. Im having to lay some ground work first for the wife. Otherwise she will divorce me when i buy a 80mph boat.

Is the gelcoat quality better on Bullets, say compared to Tritons? Did Bullet go through the issues with EPA regs and gelcoats in the late 90s, early 2000s? Or is it Bullet owners just take care of their boats a bit better?

TN would be a nice drive too.
    Here are a couple of pics
    [/QUOTE]

Thank you, it was a good boat, never had any issues.

As far as gel coat quality, I think its a combination, Bullets over-all attention to detail, their hand lay-up process and their final finishing (buffing etc), and most Bullet owners do take extra pride and care for their rigs, all combined makes for some absolute beautiful finishes.

9. Member
    I've noticed some models have an......i'll called it "unfinished" area of fiberglass near the helm and controls. Was that a particular year range or model?

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorebeater View Post
    I've noticed some models have an......i'll called it "unfinished" area of fiberglass near the helm and controls. Was that a particular year range or model?
    All Bullet X models(except XRS) were and are still built with the "vinyl texture interior". It's old school, but I still like it
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    1-800-931-9926

11. Member
    What year did the 21SS start production? I think that is the model that I would like to have next and I think the oldest ones might begetting close to being old enough I could afford one.

12. Member
    Off top of my head 2012.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatElectronics.com View Post
    All Bullet X models(except XRS) were and are still built with the "vinyl texture interior". It's old school, but I still like it
    Okay, I guess some colors just show it more than others. The more I look and research bullet, the more excited I get.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenninr View Post
    What year did the 21SS start production? I think that is the model that I would like to have next and I think the oldest ones might begetting close to being old enough I could afford one.
    2020 SST on FB right now, 45k........no motor. In KY. nice looking orange and black. Thought about it, and just using it in the no gas motor lake until i saved up 35k for a 300.

15. Member
    Really starting to lean towards a XRS. Selection of used ones seem a bit slim. Anywhere between 45k-60k.

Got to finish the honey do list. Then sell the old Triton.

Where are yall looking for boats? Seems like the listings here have stalled a bit. Facebook seems to be the best. Boat trader only has like 15 around me.

Seem like alot of people have luck just posting what they want on the Bullet FB page and waiting.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassBoatElectronics.com View Post
    21XD - 1993-current
    21XRD - 2007-current
    21XRS - 2013-current
    21SST - 2017-current

I currently run a 21XRD, it was my "dream boat" but I am now ready for something else sometime later. An XRS is what I want, and will have down the road. I prefer that deck layout much better over the center step lid. I don't care for going 80 any more, so a XRS will suit me fine. Some of the XRS hulls will flat out run, and some won't. Not sure why but I assume setup issues are the problem there.
    I'm digging the XRS. Going to be the top end of what i want to spend, but it'd be nice to not have any work to do to it.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    SS Debut was 2011, XRS was 2013. There are some deals out there on the XRS but you have to act fast. I've seen a few in the mid 30s but they sell quick. Also if you shop around, you can find a 300R below 30k.
    Chad Phillips
    BassBoatElectronics.com
    1-800-931-9926

18. Member
    If you come to Arkansas, I'll give you a ride in my 2016 21RDC

19. Member
    Just bought a 2017 21xrd for under 50k. Boat is pretty much like new. 92 hours. I jumped on it because of the shape it was in and low hours. I really dig the layout of the x models. And it performs like a sports car. Truly an awesome boat. I’d stick to 21’ if it were me. Handles rough water pretty well considering weight.

20. Member
    AABDB090-2A72-4553-A082-FAA9C3C2CDBF.jpegI bought my first Bullet. Drove 1160 miles round trip from NC to AL. Did it in 19 hours. This boat trailers like a dream.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast