Start up/warning beep and low oil

My start up beep on my 225 Pro XS (2B122654) gave me sort of a weird crackling sound on Sunday morning and then went silent all day. When I got home I noticed that I had run my remote oil tank very low and the oil level on my engine mounted oil tank had started to fall about a 1/2". Weirdly enough I was going to start looking for the problem on my start up/warning beep and when I turned the key in my garage it worked just fine. Even looked at the wires from the ignition switch and couldn't see any problem.
    So two questions:
    1) should I have been getting a fault warning on my smart craft gauge when my remote tank ran low? I didn't get one.
    2) I added a gallon of oil to my remote tank so the level is now at 1 1/2 gallons, but I assume that I need to purge my engine mounted oil tank now, correct?

2. Member
    Yes to both questions. Try to keep your remote tank between 30 - 80% full at all times.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

3. Member
    That makes me nervous as to why I didn't get a fault on my smartcraft when it started using oil from my engine mounted oil tank. I understand my warning beep wasn't working but still should have showed a fault on my smartcraft according to what you're saying.

4. Member
    test it , unplug sensor connection on at tank turn key on and wait
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ^^^^ Which would cause a low oil level warning, AND set a FAULT for low oil level.

Note that you may not always get a warning at 1/2" low (sometimes you will, sometimes it might have to be a bit lower due to variances in sensors, tanks and floats).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Yea it probably is less than 1/2" low.