Two 9s or one 12 at the dash

I currently have two 12 lives at my bow, and one live 9 flush mounted in the dash. I have another 9 live loose right now and was pondering mounting it and the other 9 on a bbt dash mount, or just getting rid of the 9s altogether and putting one 12 at the console. From the current wiring standpoint, it makes more sense to just install one new 12 at the dash. Thought to get some opinions if there are reasons the two 9s, or the one 12, at the dash makes more sense. I am relatively new to Lowrance.

2. Member
    I was in the same dilemma but the other way around. I have a 16 live at the bow and Carbon 12 at the console. I have a Carbon 9 as a spare. I started thinking about two 9's at the console and the cool factor was the only reason I could come up with for doing it.
    So in the end, the 9 is still my spare and I kept the 12 at the console. I like the size of the 12 screen and with the splits adjusted to my liking, it's just right for me.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

3. Member
    Thanks for the response. Dual coolness has crossed my mind with the intent to replace the two 9s with 12s at the dash when I’m able. But the way it’s wired now for just one unit I can just get rid of the 9s and install a 12. I wanted to see if anyone had a practical reason the two 9s would serve better than a single 12. My follow up question will be should I flush mount the 12 in the dash or buy a single mount for it that gets it out of the dash.

4. Member
    I went from one 12 in a previous boat to two 9s in my newest boat. I miss the 12, and often only turn on one 9. If I had to do it over again, I would have specified the single mount console instead of the one with the two Ballz Out mounts.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

5. Member
    Single 12 on the bow and a single 9 at the console. Short guy so the 12 was too tall and hard for me to see over while driving. When the new Pro's come out I might get a 10 and put replace the 9 at the console. Then move the 9 to the front for dedicated FFS unit.

6. Scraps
    I just went from a 9 to a 12 at the console and like it, don't yet see a need for a second console unit. Now I "need" a 12 in place of the 9 on the bow.

The one thing I thought about with two units at the console was the claptrap of cable/wiring in the dash. I like it more simpler.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

I prefer a single 16 over dual 12s so I would think a single 12 is better than 2 9s.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

I'm on the two smaller graphs at the dash over the single large.
    - Two screens allows me to run two maps at the same time (one zoomed in to stay on my trails, and the other zoomed out for bearing and heading).
    - Two screens are also nice when I'm side scanning on one unit while following a contour line on the other.
    - And if you really want to blow up the details of what you're scanning, using each screen as independent left and right side scanning you double your viewing area.
    - Also as a shorter guy (5'6") it's much easier to see over the 9s.

I always felt the 9s were just a tad too small and the 12s just too big to double up at the console. Now that the 10s are finally back, I'll be selling of my carbons to get two 10s for the dash!
    united in the pursuit of bass.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BassCPT View Post
    using each screen as independent left and right side scanning you double your viewing area.
    I do this a good bit and is the only time I really like having two. I fish small familiar lakes, so mapping isn't nearly as important to me as it is to some.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

10. Member
    One 12" with a 7" on the side work great for me. The 12 has SI/DI, GPS on it and the smaller unit has the fast speed sonar. It looks impressive having an array of screens in front but not for me.

11. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I have an prefer duel 9s over a single 12

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    I have an prefer duel 9s over a single 12
    care to give your thoughts why?

13. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdmb View Post
    care to give your thoughts why?
    in the end its just overall more screen area. I can run mapping dedicated to one 9 inch screen and then side down on another 9 inch screen. when im running i have all my engine info from nmea on one and mapping on another. just find it way better then when i had a single 12 on the console and trying to fit it on there. I sometimes run down on one full 9 inch and an side on one full 9 inch. just more overall screen area then a single 12.