89 Evinrude 70 compression

Hey Everyone,
    working on the 70 hp Evinrude model E70TLCEM. I can go into all the details and probably will but for now I was hoping for some advice on my compression results. Yesterday a warmed up the E70 to checkout my carb rebuilds and connection repair on a power pack lead to the #1 coil. Time well spent and a huge improvement but still issues. So I pulled all the plugs and rigged the carbs for WOT and check the compression. Results were not to good I think 80/78/78 had to guess on the 78s as the gauge needle was just below the 80 psi mark on my brand new yes Harbor Freight compression kit (buts it pretty nice and seemed to be quality stuff) from what I see decent compression is 90-105 is that correct? I’ve spent lots of wrench time on this motor and want to keep her running. Can anyone help with yes 80s call for a tear down and 90-105 is right. Thanks for any help! I’m battling smoke and floating oil droplets in the water when I run with in in a drum/Tote!

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Try a different gauge for comparison, there are no published numbers in the manual. I'd check head temps to see if it is getting up to temp.

3. Member
    Thanks for the tips C, I will swap the 0-300 gauge out with another that has a closer range so I can get a more accurate reading. The 90-105 numbers I mentioned were just what I had read on the net. I have the manual and will check to see if they list a temp range unless you happen to know what it needs to be. I had good flow out of the tell tale and I didn’t notice any overheating. I ran for at least 30 mins before I checked the compression. I have some pics but I have to adjust the size so I can post them. Also have a couple Video’s but learning how to post them.

4. Member
    Pic of the oil droplets in the water. The oil was really bad that’s when I discovered #1 cylinder wasn’t firing. It’s somewhat better now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

5. Member
    Championman and others!

Today I was able to take the temp reading that C was curious about so I got the startup temp and monitored every 5 mins for 30mins. Then I pulled the plugs and took the compression on the cylinders at WOT. I hope this pic will load with my results.

6. Member
    C, I used a brand new Winters gauge oil filled and better range for my compression info.

7. Member
    This smoke and oil is what I’m dealing with. Anyone with an idea please let me know. I think compression is so low it’s not burning the fuel properly and it’s just blowing by. Starts and runs but this smoke and oil is something else.

8. Member
    Paw-in-law’s ole Malibu me and him fished on until he passed with COVID. I want to get the Evinrude top notch I’m keeping the Malibu!

9. Member
    Bought a used Evinrude E70 4 stroke 300 hrs. Was going to swap but only if the 2 stroke can’t be fixed.. I know you guys can head me in the right direction!!

10. Sprint Boats Moderator Bassmeister's Avatar
    Have you done a decarb? Could be the rings are sticking and allowing a lot of blow by....That would be my first step from here, then check comp and and oil leakage. On the 3 cyl engines I've seen the formed hose on the mid carb kink with age and the mid cyl won't get enough fuel/oil mix. Pull the drain plugs from each carb and make sure fuel is present.

11. Member
    Mr. B yes just got thru with carbs. All disassemble and inspected cleaned and new OEM Evinrude kit back in. Done a bunch to the 70 horse, pulled the side plate relocated the tell tale and pulled the head to check for scaling, new thermostat, plugs, water pump etc.

12. Member
    Mr. B sorry decarb not carbs….well no I’ve had the head off and really not much buildup of anything even scale so I cleaned up the surfaces and installed a new head gasket and put everything back together. However there was some “old new damage” I thought on the head from #3 looked like something broke and put a bunch of dents in the head but it appeared it was all put back together. I HOPE….I’ll see if I can find the pic

13. Member
    Mr. B pics for u.

14. Member
    B, check carbs all had fuel no problem

15. Member
    Everyone on my temp reading of the cylinders, I guess are worthless! I should have looked at the manual first as I should have been taking temp reading behind the thermostat on the block which should run around 140 not to exceed 160. But the temp must be ok because I never once got a high temp alarm. I’ve tested the sensor so I know it’s working, if it’s accurate or not I don’t know.

16. Member
    Temp readings are from the side plate and each cylinder

17. Member
    Mr. B pretty 80 psi across the cylinders if #3 is running damaged wouldn’t the compression be super low.

18. Member
    B,

I just happen to notice something!! Looking at the head pic and #3 cylinder certain it was old damage then I noticed that the head gasket was still on the head and looks like it has damage….I have the old gasket still I’ll go check it out to be sure.

19. Member
    No it looks okay