Thread: Best PFD

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best PFD

I have tried inflatable life vests, and I just don't like them. I feel more comfortable and confident using a standard foam PFD. Which brands would you consider if you were looking at foam PFD's ?

2. Member
    I have both types. My Mustang Accel 100 is great.

https://mustangsurvival.com/collections/foam-pfds

2005 Champion 198 DC Elite
    2005 Mercury Optimax-225hp (Serial#1B073011)

Standard Vest Type PFD for running on the big engine. (All seasons, and I never have to worry about if it will inflate or not!)

For fishing, and because N.Y.S. law requires one at all times between November 1st to March 31st, a Belt type PFD. Its a functional, comfortable way for me to wear one while I fish. Being that its around my waste, it never gets in my way and I don't even know it's on.
    Last edited by OBT; 11-30-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    No one can be wrong that often so it has to be deliberate.

4. Member
    I have 2 type 1 PFD's. Used to use the others, including inflatable, but have witnessed them not going off when someone falls in the water, or
    they explode in the compartment. One is for summer, the other is for winter, and is a full jacket to aid in warmth, so when you arrive, you take off
    a full layer. They are both type 1's and the winter one looks like this but is black... https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...rge-20592.html
    2017 Triton TRX Patriot w/250 ProXS Optimax

5. Member
    This.
    Quote Originally Posted by OBT View Post
    Standard Vest Type PFD for running on the big engine. (All seasons)

For fishing, and because N.Y.S. law requires one at all times between November 1st to March 31st, a Belt type PFD. Its a functional, comfortable way for me to wear one while I fish. Being that its around my waste, it never gets in my way and I don't even know it's on.
    They had a region tournament few years back and a team was running wide open and speared a wave and both of their pfds was sucked off. One was pulled into the boat and was revided with cpr. The other one was not fortunate and a search was issued. I run with the ski vest type and pdf when fishing.

6. Member
    Always wear a PFD rated for 100 mph. Use the leg straps. Any vest can peel off in an upset. The crotch straps keep it on you.

7. Member
    Sterns or Mustang

8. mikesxpress
    You may only need it one time. It better work.

If search and rescue has to come looking for you
    (dead or alive) you need to be visible day or night. Florescent orange with reflective strips are allot easier to spot than styling & profiling dark colors.

9. Member
    I too feel much more comfortable with a standard PFD, heard to may negative stories on the inflatables. Mustang looks like one of the best bets out there.
    Last edited by bigfoot17; 11-30-2022 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

(dead or alive) you need to be visible day or night. Florescent orange with reflective strips are allot easier to spot than styling & profiling dark colors.
    2nd

Looks just like mine

I keep a set of hand popper flares in one of the pockets
    "The handicapped angler"

Pocket flares, thats a great idea
    Quote Originally Posted by MichAngler View Post
    2nd

Looks just like mine

I keep a set of hand popper flares in one of the pockets

12. Member
    IMHO, the best life jacket is the one you wear ALL the time.

I've been in the water several times in the past 60 plus years of fishing. All of them with the trolling motor down. Went in last winter in 43 degree water wearing my Onyx A/M 24. Went off like it should. I was 75 years old. Composed myself after hitting the water. Clambered back in the boat. Never even used the boarding ladder.

Yes, the potential for disaster is worse at speed, but based on my experience, you are more likely to fall in when fishing than when running.

It doesn't matter how much you spend, or how fancy a jacket you buy. If it isn't on, it's useless. I wear mine 100% of the time.

13. Member
    Another thing to keep in mind, is with the new follow the contour motors, how do you get back in the boat if its still moving? The wind and /or current will move a boat faster than you would like, especially if your not in it.

14. Member
    Mustang HIT or Accel 100 mph gets my vote. I have both.

15. Member
    Regular life jackets for me. Too many stories of guys ejected from boats and self inflate didn’t work

16. Member
    You guys keep saying you've heard stories of inflatables not working. Maybe you're all hearing the same story.

This ain't a "I've heard" story, but my own experience.

I've fallen in three times and mine always worked. Once in a Mustang and twice in an Onyx.

Sure an expensive jacket like MichAngler is promoting is fantastic. Maybe if I fished big water like the Great Lakes, I'd get one. I see the potential value.

But, I'll stand by my statement. It's no good if it's not on. A cheap jacket that you wear is better than an expensive one you don't.

Buy one that's comfortable. Put it on. Don't take it off.

17. Member
    I use the Onyx A/M 24. I put it on before I launch my boat and don’t take it off until the boat is trailered. Very comfortable. I don’t even know I have it on. When I use the big motor the kill switch attaches to the vest.

18. Member
    Bass Pro Shops XPS vest with crotch straps while running and then I switch out to an auto-inflate Mustang HIT while fishing. It only takes seconds to switch out.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post

Nice vest. I wear a simpler cheaper inflatable all the time. I still don't see why anglers have to take them off every time they stop, especially in the Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post

But, I'll stand by my statement. It's no good if it's not on. A cheap jacket that you wear is better than an expensive one you don't.

Buy one that's comfortable. Put it on. Don't take it off.
    Agreed! I wear my Inflatable 100% of the time. Put it on when prepping the boat and it stays on until tie down for the trip home.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast