Thread: Best PFD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    You guys keep saying you've heard stories of inflatables not working. Maybe you're all hearing the same story.

This ain't a "I've heard" story, but my own experience.

I've fallen in three times and mine always worked. Once in a Mustang and twice in an Onyx.

Sure an expensive jacket like MichAngler is promoting is fantastic. Maybe if I fished big water like the Great Lakes, I'd get one. I see the potential value.

But, I'll stand by my statement. It's no good if it's not on. A cheap jacket that you wear is better than an expensive one you don't.

Buy one that's comfortable. Put it on. Don't take it off.
    I know of 3 guys on our lake .

2. Member
    Me too!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Agreed! I wear my Inflatable 100% of the time. Put it on when prepping the boat and it stays on until tie down for the trip home.

3. Member
    I watched a video a man made testing 3 life preservers. One inflatable and the others were foam vest. H fell face first into the water from his boat emulating an unconscious person. The "only" preserver that turned him face up was the inflatable. No he didn't test every brand out there, but what he was trying to get across was they all will work, "if" you are conscious enough to help right yourself. made an inflatable fan out of me, on when I get out of the truck and off when I get back in the truck. A lot of accidents happen when unloading and loading, and if the preserver is in the boat, it's useless

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MCIPinkie View Post
    IMHO, the best life jacket is the one you wear ALL the time.

I've been in the water several times in the past 60 plus years of fishing. All of them with the trolling motor down. Went in last winter in 43 degree water wearing my Onyx A/M 24. Went off like it should. I was 75 years old. Composed myself after hitting the water. Clambered back in the boat. Never even used the boarding ladder.

Yes, the potential for disaster is worse at speed, but based on my experience, you are more likely to fall in when fishing than when running.

It doesn't matter how much you spend, or how fancy a jacket you buy. If it isn't on, it's useless. I wear mine 100% of the time.
    I heard all the stories online, then mine went off in the passenger seat during a rain storm and only inflated halfway. That got me to switch.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12