Transducer recommendation for on plane depth reading

I have a Gen 2 Helix 9 at my console I want to read just depth on plane and at speed, what transducer due you recommend and mounting? I had a Lowrance glassed to the inside of the hull and it stopped working. I tried a bunch of different locations for a skimmer on the transom and was never successful. I've been running blind for years which has been fine because I've been on familiar water, I'm starting to venture out to new waters again and would like to at least no to brace for impact if I'm going to run aground. Thoughts?
    Last edited by jnaumuk; 11-28-2022 at 04:27 PM.

Humminbird has shoot-thru transducers too.
    The first generation Helix 9's in Sonar, Down Imaging, and Side Imaging models use 83/200 kHz for 2D sonar.
    The shoot-thru with remote temp sensor is XP 9 20 T.

Decent mapping will give you a sooner notification to prepare for impact.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Can I have 2 transducers connected at once? The Di/Si transducer it came with and the xp 9? I know it can't display from both at the same time but can I select between transducers? I just looked at the manual on the HB webpage and it looks like you can only physically connect 1 transducer at a time.

Thanks,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by jnaumuk View Post
    Can I have 2 transducers connected at once? The Di/Si transducer it came with and the xp 9? I know it can't display from both at the same time but can I select between transducers? I just looked at the manual on the HB webpage and it looks like you can only physically connect 1 transducer at a time.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Yes and very common. There is a Y cable (9 M SIDB Y) that connects an Imaging transducer and added 2D transducer to the display. The plug that connects to the display has the same connections as the Imaging transducer. It has no circuit for the 2D piezo in the Imaging transducer and replaces that connection with the connection to the added 2D transducer.
    You get depth/2D sonar from the shoot-thru all the time and SI/DI/Temp from the Imaging transducer all the time.
    No setting changes are needed since nothing changes but the physical location of the 2D source.

The shoot-thru transducer model would be XP 9 20 since there is no connection for Temp with the 2D leg of the Y cable.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

5. Member
    Thanks for all your help!!