Need some dirt work/culvert advice - see pic

I want to span the very small little ditch in my side yard so I can drive across it with my truck and travel trailer. Only a foot or so deep. Can't tell in the pic, but there is a bit of slope on each side. I'd like to keep the drainage, it's not real critical since what little water comes down that way will find it's way to the ravine at the bottom anyway.

Maybe need 15 feet or so total length to level it out enough. Ain't got to be perfect, just no ideas coming to me.

I know someone out there will have some good advice. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Member
    I would try to grade it and divert the flow out of the way if possible.

Lightweight option - crane mats, which are basically lashed together wooden 4X4’s. Pros - relatively lightweight, cheap. Cons - would likely rot over time even if pressure treated.

Heavyweight option - steel plate like used to cover roads under repair. Pros - probably last a lifetime. Cons - slippery when wet, heavy as hell, tough to move/maneuver into position without the aid of heavy machinery.
    Ranting incoherently

4. Member
    Could you fill it with medium size rock?

5. Member
    Dig out about 12-15 ft. and put a pipe in and cover it. Keep a grate on the inlet end to keep stuff for plugging it up.

Quote Originally Posted by bilgerat View Post
    Lightweight option - crane mats, which are basically lashed together wooden 4X4’s. Pros - relatively lightweight, cheap. Cons - would likely rot over time even if pressure treated.

Heavyweight option - steel plate like used to cover roads under repair. Pros - probably last a lifetime. Cons - slippery when wet, heavy as hell, tough to move/maneuver into position without the aid of heavy machinery.
    HDPE is also an option here

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200773783_200773783?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Construction% 20%3E%20Ground%20Protection%20%3E%20Heavy%20Duty%2 0Mats&utm_campaign=Checkers&utm_content=89875&gcli d=Cj0KCQiA1ZGcBhCoARIsAGQ0kkrXUkFppCgUN5YLUkKmxEgN EusM7rDNH8kQoFp8qSePow-3CC6Gd1caApvBEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

7. Member
    Talk to someone who does drains for a living. If it were me, I would hire someone with a mini track hoe and shape the ditch and fill with 2 to 4 inch rock.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Dig out about 12-15 ft. and put a pipe in and cover it. Keep a grate on the inlet end to keep stuff for plugging it up.
    This.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breeves2245 View Post
    I want to span the very small little ditch in my side yard so I can drive across it with my truck and travel trailer. Only a foot or so deep. Can't tell in the pic, but there is a bit of slope on each side. I'd like to keep the drainage, it's not real critical since what little water comes down that way will find it's way to the ravine at the bottom anyway.

Maybe need 15 feet or so total length to level it out enough. Ain't got to be perfect, just no ideas coming to me.

I know someone out there will have some good advice. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hard to tell what depth you have, but regardless, corrugated culvert pipe comes in 4" drain tile to feet in diameter. The ditch needs to be cleared and properly graded, use whatever pipe necessary that would leave at least 4-6" minimum of #2 stone on top and around it, which will shoulder the pipe as well as allow for drainage around it. Finish the top off with #1 CR stone and you will be good to go.
    I owned a site work company and have done many of this type of drainage and bridging with as much as 3 - 4' pipes laid tandem for large creeks.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by digthemup View Post
    Hard to tell what depth you have, but regardless, corrugated culvert pipe comes in 4" drain tile to feet in diameter. The ditch needs to be cleared and properly graded, use whatever pipe necessary that would leave at least 4-6" minimum of #2 stone on top and around it, which will shoulder the pipe as well as allow for drainage around it. Finish the top off with #1 CR stone and you will be good to go.
    I owned a site work company and have done many of this type of drainage and bridging with as much as 3 - 4' pipes laid tandem for large creeks.
    this is the way to go

11. Member
    I would put a pipe of some variety in there with adequate fill material over the top.

12. Member
    You can do a culvert as mentioned above in the short term. To me, you need better ground cover to slow the water and prevent it in the first place. I think with a proper sod around it the erosion may be stopped.

You could widen the bottom to spread out the water flow, but that would require grass also.

13. Member
    12inx30ft culvert with mat under about 30 + tons gravel was around 1400$ for an entrance into a farm I bought.