Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Member
    I had a 921 in between my 2015 Caracal and my 2022 Eyra - I owned the 921 the shortest of any boat I ever purchased. For me, and it was likely because of the colors I picked, the boat aged prematurely. I am over the top about the care of my boats, however, I could never get ahead with the 921 and the flat color choice I made, meaning at any instance it could be easily scratched. Fishing around brush, reeds, cattails, bouncing a jig off the side... all of the little things a Cat finish can handle, the 921 couldn't. My carpet started to wear. The performance of the boat was solid, however, the dash material, as expected, showed age deterioration much quicker than I expected specifically around the screws. Come to think of it, most of the screw holes began to spider.

Maybe I had an exception to the rule.

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    The Puma STS is a larger platform and the ride has more off roller buoyancy. Lake Erie waves are only choppy in areas like the river. They do stand up from winds and the winds cap them, which the dry ride helps. Depth is key on rough waters and the Jaguar STS rips that water, it’s just too much boat for most people.

BCB
    This is a little off topic of my original thread/post, but I would say a majority of my fishing will be on the smaller inland lakes. I would estimate 70% of my fishing is inland lakes, 25% would be Saint Claire/Erie (typically with compliant wind/weather) and 5% is down south (Tennessee River lakes). The Sabre FTD was originally what came to mind when I look at our inland lakes and price, but with the bigger water in mind I was thinking maybe the Cougar 203 Hybrid. Obviously, you guys are the experts though, so if you recommend the Puma STS I will take a heavier look into that. I do have to get out and find a way to test the hulls before making the big purchase, I just want to eliminate certain ones and hone in on others with as much research as I can so I can get the most efficiency out of the test rides I choose.

Is the primary reason for you recommending the Puma STS over the 203 due to the width and ability to take on the rollers? The choppy parts near the river is typically where I end up. My ears are open! One last touch on the inland lakes is that a majority of them I go do have very shallow ramps, often times don't have docks, and there are a handful of very shallow/narrow channels in some of the chains. Will the Puma limit me a bit here with maneuverability and how much sits below the water, or do you still believe it should be my primary target to test out?

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LegendX View Post
    I had a 921 in between my 2015 Caracal and my 2022 Eyra - I owned the 921 the shortest of any boat I ever purchased. For me, and it was likely because of the colors I picked, the boat aged prematurely. I am over the top about the care of my boats, however, I could never get ahead with the 921 and the flat color choice I made, meaning at any instance it could be easily scratched. Fishing around brush, reeds, cattails, bouncing a jig off the side... all of the little things a Cat finish can handle, the 921 couldn't. My carpet started to wear. The performance of the boat was solid, however, the dash material, as expected, showed age deterioration much quicker than I expected specifically around the screws. Come to think of it, most of the screw holes began to spider.

Maybe I had an exception to the rule.
    This is good information, thank you

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    I will likely take you up on this, if not in December than maybe next spring.

I appreciate all of the offers a handful of you have put out there for me to come and check your boats out. This is a nice little group of people we have in Michigan!
    Gotta love the BassCat family! Just let me know a time and I’ll make it work. Also, my son runs a 22 classic and lives up here in Clare too. So you could possibly check 2 boats off the list at once.
    Keith Gyulveszi
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

5. Member
    I think the above posts have summed it up pretty well but your original comment about resale value reflects the real bottom line. BCB is a higher quality boat and that shows up in the long run. I have ridden in a lot of Phoenix's and they ride very well and have a lot of nice features but fit/finish/material is a notch below BCB. If you are trading every year or two, like a lot of my friends who have marina deals, then I would not hesitate to buy a Phoenix but it should cost significantly less since you'll get significantly less at resale time.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    I've owned 2 Skeeter Bass Boats and I've had that dream for a few years now to step up to a Bass Cat.

I made a 3-day trip down to Guntersville a few weeks ago, and it seemed like 80% of the boats were all Phoenix. There were a few Tritons, a Stratos and a Skeeter.

We also met up with a buddy who had a Phoenix and just swore by their hull design and the ride quality. His boat was also pretty refined and had a fair amount of well thought out features. I fished out of it for a few hours and didn't have any complaints.

What's the deal here? Why is the popularity so extreme with those (Phoenix) boats? From the research I've gathered, they have about a 3-month turnaround time whereas some of the Bass Cats are taking 6-9 months or longer. They are also priced slightly lower for comparable models, especially in the used department (depreciation seems significantly higher).

From somebody with experience in both, how does the ride, build quality, fishability, and speed compare?

Yes, I understand there are a ton of factors into what suites me and the water I fish on. I am just looking for overall opinions here and I guess I'd like to be convinced into why I should get a Bass Cat over comparable Pheonix.
    You should go ask this same question on the Phoenix Forum to see if anyone made the switch from Basscat to Phoenix. Just a thought.

He did:
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1203949

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnee View Post
    You should go ask this same question on the Phoenix Forum to see if anyone made the switch from Basscat to Phoenix. Just a thought.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnee View Post
    I did, just letting the opinions trickle in! So far the responses are about the same.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out. The reason I was saying that, these are the two boats that I am considering and leaning toward Basscat myself. Didn't know he had asked the question on the Phoenix site. Nice to see the reviews are very similar. Overall, I think the Basscat will be my boat, which I hope to have on order within the next month or so. Great information.

10. Member
    I have been with basscat since 2004 i have owned 4 cats in 2019 i bought a phoenix 19 phx was a good boat ran well handled good a few things basscat out shines phoenix the carpet is a lot heavier than phoenix i don;t think the glass work is as good as basscat and the trailers are not even close to basscat they are made by marine master . I sold the phoenix in 2021 and went back to basscat .All i can say is that i will never leave basscat again. Just my opinion

11. Member
    There is something to be said about being a part of the BassCat family. I don't know if it's the new boat swag you get with your purchase or the personal thank you letter you get from Rick Pierce. BassCat just has a way of making you feel appreciated, and their customer service just confirms it. I only moved away from BassCat was because of the odd IMO storage layout. Being that all my tackle boxes are squares and rectangular in shape I have found the more traditional storage lockers found in most boats to be more tackle and fisherman friendly. That being said, remove the triangles and divided center locker storage the Puma STS is definably getting closer to the ultimate bass boat.

12. Member
    Phoenix has an awesome riding hull, but sure seems like the STS would be compatible ride wise but with all the plusses mentioned above.

The 203 Hybrid fit what you're wanting. If you're ever in Missouri look me up and I'll give ya rip your lips off demo ride in mine.

14. Member
    I have owned both. Phoenix customer service was fine. BassCats customer service undoubtedly will never be surpassed!
    Jay

15. Scraps
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby8 View Post
    You might check out the Ken Smith videos on YouTube. He checked out all major brands before he selected a BassCat last year.
    I'd say this. I know I was ready to trade for a Cat after watching Ken's Rick Pierce interview.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

16. Member
    Slayer412 if you are looking for a 20’ boat with great maneuverability there will not be a better boat than the eyra. And that’s across all brands. The eyra handles water great too.
    the 203 is a great boat and does handle like a champion. Cuts waves and soft landing. Not as fast or have the best agility but great hull for sure.
    the sts is just a giant platform and will not jar you really at all. Truly impressive.
    I know the eyra wasn’t on your radar but take a strong look at it. I think you would be impressed especially if a big fishing platform isn’t a must.

17. BBC SPONSOR
    I am on my second basscat, first a caracal, custom ordered it, loved the colors, pretty boat, really liked it. I have rode in several phoenix boats, they are nice, really remind me of the Stratos boats, which I really liked my Stratos 294. However, the fit and finish on a bass cat is unmatched in comparison, I went to an eyra for the speed and shallow water capabilities and I am so glad I did. Love that boat, way way fast, comfortable, spacious, its perfect for what i want. The STS would be the ticket but I am not spending that kind of money quite yet on a boat haha. Good luck on your research, I sure am happy with Basscat.
    FTO Marine Supplies
    BBC Sponsor

18. Member
    I ran Phoenix boats for 10 years. Got my first Bass Cat in August.
    Overall ride in "rough stuff": Slight edge to Phoenix
    Everything else: Bass Cat
    Last edited by Amac88; 12-07-2022 at 05:16 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amac88 View Post
    phoenix like a stratos easy to drive basscats take some seat time!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Quote Originally Posted by Amac88 View Post
    What Cat did you get? I run a Jag STS and cannot imagine Phoenix would ride better.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast