Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    My Jaguar has been on Lake Michigan and on Erie in 6’ers when the charters and big walleye boats had already been put away. It’s the ultimate boat for what you are looking for. It’s a 2022 and is for sale if you are interested.

2. Member
    I've had two basscat - 2000 classic (I kept for 8yrs) and a 2009 puma ftd which I still own (going on 14yrs) only problem with boat was touch pad last year. still on original trailer

3. Member
    basscat win in everything quality and features----trailer quality- gel quality-carpet quality--customer service, build quality, component quality-- I like the phoenix since they were all stratos guys but not close--only thing is the phoenix will be less$$$ for a reason of course
    Last edited by mactlman; 11-28-2022 at 08:24 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by llsdjv View Post
    As for speed I have not been outrun in a tournament in my Eyra
    Is their any other normal production boat that can outrun an Eyra with a 250 on it? I know if I was fishing in the big tournaments that's what I would have.

5. Member
    Open any lid on a BassCat, there is a gasket seal all around, Phoenix has a raised glass edge with no seal.
    I've had most boats, but never a Phoenix. I've had 2 previous BassCats, and currently own a 2022 Cougar.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slayer412 View Post
    I "want" something that will do fine on Erie and Saint Claire, but also something easy to get around in some of our smaller inland lakes here. I don't want to worry about stringers breaking or caps separating. Plus we'll do 3-4 trips a year down to the Chic or Guntersville which obviously has some distant runs to make. I also "want" the highest quality overall build I can get, something I can fish out of confidently for 10-15 years and pass down to my son. Depreciation is also important too which I've seen a pretty clear difference with used prices when it comes to Bass Cat vs Phoenix.

All of this info just cements in what I've previous thought about Bass Cat. I was honestly just kind of blown away to see what seemed like 10 times the amount of Phoenix boats compared to everything else combined.
    As far as build quality in rough water, I'm running a 1991 Pantera II and have taken it out on Lake Michigan several times this year. I've grown more confidence in this boat each time I go out and even made a short run in a small craft advisory. I don't have much experience in larger bass boats for reference but have been quite pleased with the ride quality. The previous owner lived on Toledo Bend so I assume this boat has seen plenty of rough days and there is no sign of issues with the hull.

7. Member
    No joke, I spent 10 years researching both Bass Cat and Phoenix (I am an admitted perfectionist) and finally decided the summer of 2021 I was ready for a "glass big boy boat" (with the wife's blessing of course).

My criteria was quality, customer service, ride, and storage.

Both are quality boats in my opinion. This is almost a given in today's boat market.

Customer Service at Bass Cat is out of this world great! Rick will personally take care of problems as they arise as has been documented on this board. My dumb ass will call up my dealer or Bass Cat with what I am sure they think are dumb questions, but get the answers ASAP.

The ride in my PII is in my opinion smoother then the 819 (closest model from Phoenix to mine, again, my opinion only), I loved both but there was just something about the PII that I liked better (probably the speed when I want it)

From a storage perspective, the PII fit my needs perfectly. I carry 13 rods and 12 3700 tackle storage boxes, rain gear, basic tools, first aid kit, etc. and I still have space. Again, everyone is unique, but this works for me.

I don't usually do tournaments, but when I do, co-anglers have plenty of room.

You cannot go wrong with either.

Everything is subjective. Ride and Fish out of both. For me it was Bass Cat. I could not be happier...cost a bit more then the Phoenix I was looking at building, but don't regret my decision....and yes, it took a bit longer time for the build but that was due to Bass Cat not starting a boat build until they have a motor which I totally understand. I've already told my wife that when I do finally retire, I will go through the same process....her comment was, and I quote, "You're getting another Bass Cat".

8. Member
    Like BCB said already, Freedom marine is a big reason why you see so many Phoenix's on Gville.
    2007 Bass Cat Puma
    2007 Mercury Pro XS 250

9. Member
    All of the feedback so far is quite helpful and matches what I had in mind.

I'm up here in mid-Michigan which makes it fairly tough to find some of these to go joy ride and test out. We do have a few dealers around the state though, I'll have to make some stops to at least crawl about a few of them.
    Im in the Grand Rapids Mi area if you want to swing over and check out a Caracal Id be happy to let you look through mine and weather dependent we could take it out for a few hours!

10. Member
    You may want to post this on the Phoenix site as well, if you are seriously evaluating both boats. I am not sure if you want to be talked into a Basscat or out of a Phoenix.

I do not own a Basscat, but IMHO they have the best overall quality, boat/trailer. The customer service from Basscat and Phoenix are both EXCELLENT. They may or may not have the best dealer support in your area of operation, or the best layout and looks or you.

Im in mid Michigan, you have an open invitation to come crawl around my 721. Im not the guy to sway you either way, everyone has something(s) they need or want in a boat. There are things i like about my boat that basscat owners might hate, and vice versa. I for one, am glad we have choices!!

12. Member
    Phoenix makes a great boat. They do however seem to cut corners in some areas. Dash and bow panels & Gaskets.
    move spent white a bit of time in bots boats. I believe the cat is #1 boat and Phoenix would be #2 in todays market.
    When you go to price them and go price them the cat may be a little more expensive but take a very close look at what you are receiving in comparison.
    either way both boats are great I believe cat will offer more options/layouts that may suit you better. Vs Phoenix has two main layouts I believe.

13. Member
    Cody, If you want to give one a try and fish a little I’m not far. That is if we can get a decent day in December. I’m running a 20 Cougar. Hit me up if you’re wanting to test one out before you buy.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

14. Member
    I have owned both and both have great customer service edge goes to Basscat. Fit and finish goes to Basscat. Phoenix boats handle rough water extremely well but the construction is what got me when you hit a wave it sounds like a hollow hole Basscat is a solid thud better built boat in the Basscat in my opinion. Overall I would give the win to Basscat hands down.
    2018 Bass Cat Caracal
    Yamaha 225 SHO

15. Member
    To me they are both great boats but both have a lot Not in common. I really think you need to spend some time in both to see which you personally like. Im not getting into which i prefer as it doesnt matter one person likes this but not that etc. its what you like that matters.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    Phoenix is close to northern Alabama and they do sponsor ABT. The largest USA Phoenix dealership also was the local dealer in Guntersville, Freedom Marine.

We have a solid market in Alabama and we definitely lost some momentum post 2010 to 2018 in that market. We now have a solid dealer base and Bama is growing again.

As for incentives, Quest should match or offer more than First Flight and there is no annual memebership fee.

For that Michigan area we would consider a Puma STS and the ride is truly amazing.

BCB
    Would the Puma STS still be preferred over the Cougar 203 Hybrid for some of the choppy waves we get out on Lake Erie and such?

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    Cody, If you want to give one a try and fish a little I’m not far. That is if we can get a decent day in December. I’m running a 20 Cougar. Hit me up if you’re wanting to test one out before you buy.
    I will likely take you up on this, if not in December than maybe next spring.

I appreciate all of the offers a handful of you have put out there for me to come and check your boats out. This is a nice little group of people we have in Michigan!

18. Member
    Did Phoenix respond to your post?

Never owned a Phoenix, rode in a few. Boats looked very used after a few years.

Like many, I did a ton of research before I bought a Cougar in 2001. Repeated process in 2014, ended up with a Puma. My advice is do your research, figure out what works for you based on your fishing needs, storage, budget, dealer support.

Good luck—always exciting to be buying a boat!

The Puma STS is a larger platform and the ride has more off roller buoyancy. Lake Erie waves are only choppy in areas like the river. They do stand up from winds and the winds cap them, which the dry ride helps. Depth is key on rough waters and the Jaguar STS rips that water, it’s just too much boat for most people.

BCB

Would the Puma STS still be preferred over the Cougar 203 Hybrid for some of the choppy waves we get out on Lake Erie and such?

Be sure to test ride the same models you are considering. A Caracal is a totally different hull from a Cougar FTD and the Puma STS is a totally different ride from a Cougar FTD.

BCB

I will likely take you up on this, if not in December than maybe next spring.

I appreciate all of the offers a handful of you have put out there for me to come and check your boats out. This is a nice little group of people we have in Michigan!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast