Banned

Verado makes oil

My new to me 2005 Verado Ranger Z21 Serial# 1b152364 makes oil, it has 420 hrs. any way to fix this?

Quote Originally Posted by rexico View Post
    My new to me 2005 Verado Ranger Z21 Serial# 1b152364 makes oil, it has 420 hrs. any way to fix this?
    Check thermostat for debris and proper function. Poppet valve too. Run it hard to get oil temp up over 200.

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    What oil are you using, and how full are you filling it?

Above suggestion is also spot-on accurate.

Common problems we see causing this:

-Overfull oil level to start with

-Incorrect Oil

-Excessive idling time

-SHORT or limited higher-RPM runtime

-Fouled spark plugs

-COLD running engine

-FSM Reference Hose problems.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    What oil are you using, and how full are you filling it?

Above suggestion is also spot-on accurate.

Common problems we see causing this:

-Overfull oil level to start with

-Incorrect Oil

-Excessive idling time

-SHORT or limited higher-RPM runtime

-Fouled spark plugs

-COLD running engine

-FSM Reference Hose problems.
    Thermostat runs at 145, I am aware of overfill on oil. I use Merc 25-50 synthetic. What is a reasonable rpm? I graph, and make contour maps in my bass fishing. What oil do you recommend? Can this be corrected or some way to manage it? How do you tell if its the FSM reference hose? I have new high and low pressure fuel pumps. I have not replaced the poppet valve. In a 6 hr fishing day there is not a lot of high RPM time. Sounds like a Verado is not a good fit for a bass boat. What do you think?
    Last edited by rexico; 11-29-2022 at 05:48 AM.

Thermostat runs at 145, I am aware of overfill on oil. I use Merc 25-50 synthetic. What is a reasonable rpm? I graph, and make contour maps in my bass fishing. What oil do you recommend? Can this be corrected or some way to manage it? How do you tell if its the FSM reference hose? I have new high and low pressure fuel pumps. I have not replaced the poppet valve. In a 6 hr fishing day there is not a lot of high RPM time. Sounds like a Verado is not a good fit for a bass boat. What do you think?
    Pretty sure some of those early Verados had some issues with oil temps and oil thermostats. Whats your oil temps running?
    All 4 stroke motors can make oil for various reasons. The Merc semi synthetic oil can handle dilution to a certain point. That is why Merc recommends a 50 hour oil change for low rpm use.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Pretty sure some of those early Verados had some issues with oil temps and oil thermostats. Whats your oil temps running?
    All 4 stroke motors can make oil for various reasons. The Merc semi synthetic oil can handle dilution to a certain point. That is why Merc recommends a 50 hour oil change for low rpm use.
    Definitely check the oil temps- they usually get quite warm on the oil side (intentionally).

The key here is that it is important with ANY Fourstroke to get the engine up on plane, running above 3500 RPM's for a nice run. Idle and WOT operation are the dirtiest in terms of carbon and/or oil dilution (for different reasons). A nice 20+ minute run on plane helps to evaporate off any condensation and/or fuel that may have passed through piston rings (this is a natural occurrence in ANY fourstroke).

Not a bad engine for a bassboat- as ANY Fourstroke would be subject to this. With the utmost of respect intended in this statement: Your Verado was obviously not intended to be used as a trolling motor.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Definitely check the oil temps- they usually get quite warm on the oil side (intentionally).

The key here is that it is important with ANY Fourstroke to get the engine up on plane, running above 3500 RPM's for a nice run. Idle and WOT operation are the dirtiest in terms of carbon and/or oil dilution (for different reasons). A nice 20+ minute run on plane helps to evaporate off any condensation and/or fuel that may have passed through piston rings (this is a natural occurrence in ANY fourstroke).

Not a bad engine for a bassboat- as ANY Fourstroke would be subject to this. With the utmost of respect intended in this statement: Your Verado was obviously not intended to be used as a trolling motor.
    Thanks Don for the response
    It's easy to get a couple of twenty minute runs in a fishing day, I can do that. I checked the oil temp yesterday... about 200, in a 15 minute run at 4500 rpm
    is that good or bad?
    What oil do you recommend in this situation?
    What is the most accurate way to check the oil?
    I don't troll at all, but I guess map making and graphing is sort of the same.

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    I was telling Don 200 degrees oil temp is what I get on a 15 min. run at 4500rpm. is that part of the problem?
    My fishing is some low rpm, but I can get a 20 min run going and coming.
    Does the prop have any thing to do with this? It is a 23 degree 3 blade merc that come on the boat.
    Thanks for the response.

I was telling Don 200 degrees oil temp is what I get on a 15 min. run at 4500rpm. is that part of the problem?
    My fishing is some low rpm, but I can get a 20 min run going and coming.
    Does the prop have any thing to do with this? It is a 23 degree 3 blade merc that come on the boat.
    Thanks for the response.
    The more heat the better. I think they top out in the 220's.
    Run it hard. The prop shouldnt matter.
    This is only my experience from running these motors. I am not a service tech!

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You're using what I would recommend as the best oil for that particular engine. Oil should be ok at that temp, especially since air and water temps are now falling.

You can use exactly the same method recommended in the FAQ Section for the V6/V8 (just keep in mind you're aiming for 25-35% of the way into the safe zone). DON'T fill all the way to the full mark.