Chasing Gremlins in the Ox66

I have the VX200TRLY. Let me start by saying that this motor has been rock solid for the 8 years I've had it. I did have the main relay go out and regular maintenance items, but nothing too serious. I wanted to share in case others are chasing gremlins on the Ox66 in the future.

This all started with a no start at the ramp one morning. The motor would start and then quickly die. I just couldn't get it to catch. The time before this, it was fine. I figured no big deal. It was due for low pressure pumps, and that was probably it. I had an extra set waiting for the day. Replaced the low pressure pumps, and it was still a no go. The high pressure pump didn't seem right, it would run intermittently so I replaced it. Still not like it should be. Figured why not just do a low pressure pump delete and replace it with an electric pump. It would start now, but just didn't seem completely right. I ran it for a couple of trips trying to understand what the problem was. It would start fine, but stumble from around 1200 to 3000 RPM. Once I got it over 3000 RPM, it would run but just seemed a bit gutless. Checked the TPS, did a link and sync, adjusted the throttle cable, etc. TPS was a hair low and adjusted that. No matter what I did, it kept doing the same thing.

I started digging deeper. Now the high pressure pump wouldn't activate when keyed on. That was new. I had 12v to the hot side, and when I completed the ground with a jumper it would run just fine. I got a fuel pressure gauge on it and when I did run the pump, it would go up to about 30 lbs but would immediately drop to zero once the power was off. But it still was not activating when keyed on. I had a funny feeling I may have a ground issue at this point. Here's the punchline. There are two ground points at the top rear of the block. On the port side, it is the termination point for multiple grounds that had some corrosion. I cleaned both of them back to shiney, and now the pump would activate when keyed on. I'm making progress now. The moral of the story here is if you are having gremlins appear on these motors, check those grounds and any others you can find. These motors are now getting up in age, and things can get corroded over time.

To close this out, on the high pressure pump, I didn't recall putting an o-ring around the center port on the pump. Pulled the VST apart again, and sure enough I didn't. When I took the original pump off, I didn't see an o-ring because it fell out into the bottom of the cowling. Put an o-ring on there, and now she would build and hold fuel pressure back to spec.

I always felt like I knew this motor pretty good, but this one stumped me for quite a while. I still need to do the complete lake test, but she is back to starting on muffs like the old days, so I'm pretty sure I finally solved the issue. Did some stuff along the way that I had always wanted to do like the low pressure pump delete. I even threw in some Chris Carson reeds since I wanted to check them anyway. If I had known to check those grounds first, I would have saved a lot of time, but I might not have gotten as much done that I wanted to do anyway.

2. Member
    Great post and great job getting this fixed. Thanks for the info. Need more of these type of posts.

3. Member
    I am glad you got it fixed. I replaced my vst filter and i also had the o-ring missing from the top of the filter. What was the condition of the original reeds when you replaced them with the Carson reeds?

Thanks,

4. Member
    Original reeds that were over 22 years old were perfect. Little sign of wear and probably would have lasted for the life of the motor, but you never know.

Larry Eby, 2004 ChampioN 188 Elite/2003 200 Hp Vmax OX66
    "Romans 10:9"

6. Member
    Thanks for sharing. I have a 1999 and should check my grounds.

7. Member
    Today was full lake test day. Holy cr@p. Boat probably runs the best it ever has. The hole shot and 0-50mph is incredible. Big fan of the Chris Carson reeds now that I can see what they can do. The difference you will notice is that the stock reeds gradually build rpm from the start. The CC reeds seem to unleash the beast and allow the rpm’s to build much quicker. I just ran it up to 62mph today, and before it would take some time to get there. It gets there faster now.

8. Member
    Glad to hear it is running good and thanks for providing results using the CC reeds. I have had the injectors cleaned and flow tested two yerars ago. Was thinking when i pull them this time i would remove the throttle body and replace the reeds.

9. Member
    Just running this back to the top in case someone else is chasing gremlins. Boat has run probably the best ever. With everything I did trying to find the problem, I’m seeing the best holeshot and time to top end since I’ve owned the boat. Chris Carson’s reeds are for real.

10. #FRB
    My buddy recently put the Chris Carson reeds in his 200 Optimax and it really woke that motor up. He dodged a bullet because he had pieces of reeds missing and was chasing a bogging problem. I guess they didn't replace the reeds when the new powerhead went on a few years ago. Total time since the whole motor was new 22 years ago is over 1000 hours. At least with the new reeds you won't have to worry about blowing it if one gets sucked in.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeFriday View Post
    Just running this back to the top in case someone else is chasing gremlins. Boat has run probably the best ever. With everything I did trying to find the problem, I’m seeing the best holeshot and time to top end since I’ve owned the boat. Chris Carson’s reeds are for real.
    Did you do the lp pump delete? Reeds and the electric fuel pump was the best thing I did to get good run quality and a new OEM O2 sensor. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Did you do the lp pump delete? Reeds and the electric fuel pump was the best thing I did to get good run quality and a new OEM O2 sensor. CJ
    Yes. Running the Walbro pump on the motor. I built a harness adapter for the O2, so I can now run the NGK or Denso one.

13. Member
    Yes. Running the Walbro pump on the motor. I built a harness adapter for the O2, so I can now run the NGK or Denso one.
    How have the NGK's been holding up for you? CJ

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    How have the NGK's been holding up for you? CJ
    Just fine. No issues so far. For around $30, you can just replace every 1-2 years as preventative maintenance.

15. Member
    Do you have any pictures of the Walbro pump on the motor? Thanks.

16. Member
    Just fine. No issues so far. For around $30, you can just replace every 1-2 years as preventative maintenance.
    If I have a issue I will go that route but the OEM ones have been excellent. CJ