Guntersville Dam ??

I was thinking about checking out the Wheeler side of the Guntersville dam this week. Any tips? ,areas to be careful?,

If anyone knows it and wants to join me I have a spot open.

Crankin

Ditto is as far down that I've gone. No problem with decent mapping. I use garmin. Just like guntersville, can get ruff if the winds blowing especially if they have some gates open. As far as fishing goes, I only sauger fish this time of year, so can't help there.
    Last edited by tlefire; 11-28-2022 at 06:45 PM.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries

3. Member
    For the first time, I suggest you launch at Ditto in Huntsville and run/fish your way up. There are launches on both sides of the river below the dam. I consider the one on the South side dangerous if you are alone and the current is running. Lots of rocks close by and at times bad back eddies. Never launched at one on the North side but it looks safer to me. The 2 launches are several miles apart by road. Once you are up there you can look the 2 launches over for safety and which is better for your drive.
    Edit in: You could also lock through from above.......lock master doesn't care if 20 foot or 100-foot boat. Don't do this unless you have locked thru a few dams and know the rules and safety procedures. I always have a large knife in my hand to cut away the safety rope in case the large slip float or buoy hangs up. Saw that happen once in a lock I was in. A 20' bass boat hanging down the lock wall on a strong rope. Was not pretty!
    Last edited by 5keepers2; 11-29-2022 at 09:01 PM.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tlefire View Post
    Ditto is as far down that I've gone. No problem with decent mapping. I use garmin. Just like guntersville, can get ruff if the winds blowing especially if they have some gates open. As far as fishing goes, I only sauger fish this time of year, so can't help there.
    Are the sauger catchable again? I heard they pretty much disappeared for a while. It's been 25 years since I've been up there sauger fishing and they were so plentiful you could limit out in about 30 minutes or less dropping those heavy goofy colored jigs tipped with a toughy minnow.
    Joey Aderhold

Quote Originally Posted by jaderhold View Post
    Are the sauger catchable again? I heard they pretty much disappeared for a while. It's been 25 years since I've been up there sauger fishing and they were so plentiful you could limit out in about 30 minutes or less dropping those heavy goofy colored jigs tipped with a toughy minnow.
    I haven't had any problems catching them. Problem is they are all 14 1/2 inches.....

I use the smallest jig I can get away with and plastic baits.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17
    2018 Yamaha F90
    Garmin Ultra 106sv bow/console
    Ionic lithium batteries