Here's a good one to ponder.

OK, so I recently purchased a '03 BassCat Cougar after crashing my BassCat Panterra II. The new to me boat has a Merc 225 EFI and the old boat had a 200EFI. So, I have a Fury 3 25p off the 200 that I moved over to the 225. That sucked. I took the Cougar out with the Fury on it and it would not lift the bow and the best I could get was 55 mph. I thought maybe engine height was an issue and got good advice from fellow BassCat owners and set it up for what I thought was correct. Back to the lake and no love. I tried to raise the engine and lower the engine and nothing would work. I could get 55 mph at 5700 rpms or so.

So, after about an hour of messing around with the Fury I pulled it and put a 25p Tempest Plus on it. Immediately I was able to get 63 mph at 5600 rpms before any adjustments. When done I had raised the motor about an inch and was able to get 69 mph at 5800 rpms or so. So obviously the Fury wasn't the right prop for this application. I did put the Fury back on the boat after tweaking the Tempest numbers and actually lost 2 mph. It went from 55 mph to 53.

Now the back story on the prop. One of our bass club members purchased it for his 20' Phoenix with a 225 and it would not perform on it either. Back then he let me try it on my 200 and it ran like a screamer. I was able to get upper 60's at 5500 rpms on the 200 EFI. So, at that time, I bought it from him.

I can understand a prop maybe losing 3-4 mph from boat to boat but not the poor performance this thing gave me on the Cougar.

This boat had the propeller that I posted below that has no brand, part number, or factory markings on it.

Anyway, I thought this was a strange occurance. The prop would run on a 19' boat with a 200 but wouldn't run on 20' boats with 225's. Doesn't make sense to me.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

2. Member
    Good question, but your rpm was almost the same between the two props but your mph was almost 14 mph higher which suggests that the Fury had massive slip for some reason. I can only guess but perhaps it did not have enough blade area for the 20 ft boat? Maybe the center of gravity was more forward on that boat and the Fury just could not lift the bow, or the set back of the jack plate was contributing to differences in the center of gravity? Either way, congratulations, you quickly found out what works and doesn't work.
    I tested around 7 props on my 300R, and one 24P prop (Blaster) only ran 65 - 66 mph on the soft limiter (6450 rpm) and the fastest prop, also a 24P, (ProMax) ran 76 mph at 6350 rpm. So the Blaster prop had very high slip on my boat, but the ProMax was hooked up good as long as I was running on the light side for weight.

Chris Hawkins

Ranger 520VX / Mercury Optimax 225

I have a similar experience this past week on my 2003 with a 250 Pro XS 2 stroke.
    put the motor on a month ago first time i was able to get out was last week with a prop i borrowed from a buddy. It was a 26p Fury 3. Supposed to have been worked down to a 25 then back up to a 26 with cup added.
    I only got 63 at 5800rpm.

not sure it helps you much but i had a 225EFI on my boat before and ran a 24p Bravo 1 FS. loved the prop on the boat. Mine is pretty heavy with having power poles, 4 battries, gator hull etc and still would run 68 at 3.75 below pad.

5. Member
    I am going to take the prop to our local prop shop along with a couple others that need touched up. Maybe they can see is something is amiss or tweak it for me. I too have power poles, 4 batteries, and full tournament load. It just didn't make sense that I got that low speed at 5700 rpms. I'm afraid to resell the prop, the next owner may want to beat me up.

If that is a 3.0L with a 1:75 gear ratio you should see 70 to 72 mph on that boat at about 5800 RPM with 25 Fury 3
    Thank You Leon Pugh

If that is a 3.0L with a 1:75 gear ratio you should see 70 to 72 mph on that boat at about 5800 RPM with 25 Fury 3
    I run a reworked 25 Fury on my 03, heavy tournament load will run 76-77 MPH under 1500 ft elevation under any barometric conditions with a 250 pro xs
    With my old 225 Opti 72 to 73
    Don't give on the Fury until you talk to me, quite sure that prop has some wrong with it as it should perform better than the tempest on the cougar
    That boat does not require or like very much trim up, rooster tail about 2 to 3 ft max when it is setup right
    Last edited by lpugh; 12-01-2022 at 07:54 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    Took it to Midwest Propeller in Olathe Kansas. They checked it and couldn't find anything wrong. They've been in business since the early 70's. I have them repairing a couple of Tempests, one Laser II, and cupping a Tempest to 26p. I'm not sure what I am going to do with Fury yet.