30 hp evinrude tiller----running out of gas

Motor will start easy after choking -----runs good for 5-10 seconds ----then runs out of gas -----gas tank fuel line is primed and bulb firm----when motor begins to die I can rechoke and leave choke plunger open and motor will run good at idle with earmuffs on lower unit ---- thought it was fuel pump ------but -have changed fuel pump from ANOTHEFR 30hp motor that is known to be GOOD ----the issue is is exactly the same. Gas tank has been cleaned and fresh fuel is being used. Thanx in advance for any help!!!!!!

2. Member
    What year and model number 30hp? Many changes over the years. Suggest to remove and clean the carburetor. Description leads to a restricted main fuel jet in the carb.

3. Member
    The carb is gummed up/dirty would be my guess. Not getting enough fuel in the mix, hence the need to choke the motor to run.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighare2 View Post
    What year and model number 30hp? Many changes over the years. Suggest to remove and clean the carburetor. Description leads to a restricted main fuel jet in the carb.
    After thinking about ----your answer was my next move---- also thought maybe float could be stuck-----will let you know-----thanz for your quick reply!!!!!!

5. Member
    Good luck. Remember this logic - if the float is stuck closed or the needle and seat is restricted how is any fuel able to pass into the carb???