Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mercury Smartcraft fuel consumption numbers

Has anyone checked the accuracy of smartcraft gauges. If it says you burned 20 gallons did you actually burn 20 or 30 gallons?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

Don't know if this is the best measure of accuracy. I never fill my tank ... maybe 3/4 at the most. When I get down to under 1/4 tank I look at the gauge to see how much gas I've used and put that much back in, and reset the gauge. I always end up at the 3/4 mark. My understanding is that the gauge shows what the motor computer tells it. Just guessing, but I'd say the computer is pretty accurate.

3. Member
    Mine is very accurate. My tank holds 36 gallons and if VV says I've burned 20 gallons, it takes 20 gallons to fill it up.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

4. Member
    My vessel view mobile (which I believe uses smartcraft data) is very accurate. I've got a small boat, with a 12 gallon tank. It always takes exactly the same amount to fill and it says I've used. I filled up Wednesday afternoon. According the the data I had 3.9 gallons left. It took 8.1 gallons to fill it. It's this way every time I fill it. A while back I ran it down to .9 gallons left. It took 11.1 to fill it.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    My vessel view mobile (which I believe uses smartcraft data) is very accurate. I've got a small boat, with a 12 gallon tank. It always takes exactly the same amount to fill and it says I've used. I filled up Wednesday afternoon. According the the data I had 3.9 gallons left. It took 8.1 gallons to fill it. It's this way every time I fill it. A while back I ran it down to .9 gallons left. It took 11.1 to fill it.
    Vessel view mobile doesn’t read your fuel so it’s just an estimate based off of engine data and what gallon number you input into the app. Have you found it to be consistently accurate with what you put in though? I’ve only been using mine a few weeks and haven’t needed a lot of gas so haven’t been smoke to see how accurate that part is.
    2009 Triton 18x3 Pro

Smartcraft uses fuel used info from the ECU. It should be very accurate. All 3 Mercmonitors I have used have been spot on.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

7. Member
    I started using vessel view mobile fuel level readout this season. I filled once and set the fuel level. After that I entered fuel added as I use a 5 gallon can each time I added fuel. At the end of the season I fully filled the tank and i was surprised how accurate it was. Took exactly what the vessel view indicated to fill it up.

8. Member
    I have the little square one, and for the last year is has been with 2-3 gallons. There is a method to calibrate it, but I never did that.

Very accurate. I rely on it. Fuel Gauge is close but Merc monitor is nuts on.

I have been using the gallons used readout on my MercMonitor for over 8 years. I always top off my tank and reset the fuel used to zero. The refill amount has always matched the fuel used number on the gauge.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

I have the little square one too and it's about 8-10% less than it will take. I usually fill up when it shows that I've used 20-25 gal. My last fill up it showed 21 gal used and it took 22.5 gal. I carry 48 gal when full.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

Quote Originally Posted by wmitch2 View Post
    I have the little square one too and it's about 8-10% less than it will take. I usually fill up when it shows that I've used 20-25 gal. My last fill up it showed 21 gal used and it took 22.5 gal. I carry 48 gal when full.
    Mine is 10% off as well. The square one. I live with it but it’s annoying as hell. I know if my monitor says I used 30 gallons that means I really used 33 gallons and if I used 40 I really used 44. my old 2016 Mercury was spot on.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

13. Member
    Mine reads 1 gal low..... I have two 20gal tanks and when the SmartCraft reads 19 they're empty......
    Last edited by BDBR; 11-27-2022 at 05:08 PM.

14. Member
    My Mercmonitor appears to be very accurate. I reset at every fill up and amount required matches amount used logged by Mercmonitor
    2021 Ranger RT188
    2021 Mercury 115 PXS CT 4S 3B038093
    Va Tech '69, '70, '74

15. Member
    Very accurate

16. #FRB
    Mine seems pretty accurate. You don't want to pull the tank down too low while out there because anything can happen to cause you to burn more fuel than intended. I don't like to have less than 4 gallons left in my 20 gallon tank when I fill up.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

10 % off here.

18. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Mine is 10% off as well. The square one. I live with it but it’s annoying as hell. I know if my monitor says I used 30 gallons that means I really used 33 gallons and if I used 40 I really used 44. my old 2016 Mercury was spot on.
    Did you master-reset the instrument after you transplanted the 4S to it?

These are extremely accurate in most cases (to within 2%). There are a few items on the 4-strokes that can affect the accuracy (fuel trims and Advanced Range Optimization), as well as anything causing the engine to not product power correctly (these are discussions best for the pertinent Mercury Forum).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Did you master-reset the instrument after you transplanted the 4S to it?

These are extremely accurate in most cases (to within 2%). There are a few items on the 4-strokes that can affect the accuracy (fuel trims and Advanced Range Optimization), as well as anything causing the engine to not product power correctly (these are discussions best for the pertinent Mercury Forum).
    Brand new smartcraft came with the new boat and new 4s motor. What is the guide to a master reset on it?

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

20. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Brand new smartcraft came with the new boat and new 4s motor. What is the guide to a master reset on it?
    Not applicable then.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast