Shimano Expride A vs B Thoughts..?

Looking for opinions on the Shimano Expride new B vs A ???
    I have my own thoughts…and I feel like we can all agree on 2 things.

- The new B is noticeably lighter
    - The new B is crisper / a bit more sensitive

What’s everyone’s thoughts on different models ? A vs B

7”2 MH
    7”2 Hvy
    7”3 Xhvy
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

2. Member
    The B spinning rods are a full power higher than the label and the new handles are way better than the A, the 7’ L (actually a ML) is a a killer drop shot rod. The 7’2” ML (actually a M) is super versatile. I don’t have any of the new B casting rods, but I have several of the A’s. I’m not a big fan of the casting rod reel seats (which are the same on the B and now on the NRX also)…..the long stabbing triggers are not all that comfortable in my hand which is a personal thing. In my opinion, the thing that really separates Expride from the competition is the exceptional balance of their casting rods. Even the H and XH rods have great balance, better than other manufacturers M and MH. The worst attribute of Expride is the crappy one year limited warranty period. I have been getting a few of the new redesigned St. Croix LTB casting rods that are in the same price range, and honestly I think they give the Exprides a run for the money. The new LTBs are just as light, just as sensitive, decently balanced (not Expride balance) and the handles are really comfortable in my hand. Also, the LTBs have a 15 YEAR no questions asked warranty, thats a significant standout feature separating this rod from most of the other manufacturers. Like any rod line, there are specific models that are exceptional in both Expride and LTB.
    Last edited by Hydro870; 11-27-2022 at 07:03 AM.

3. Member
    They weigh the same, I repeat, my 7’3xh a and b weigh the same. the sensitivity feels the same. At least for both my a & b 7’3xh. I mean, I wanna think the new one is more sensitive but I think that’s just what the programming has marketed to us. Honestly, I’m not sure I love the monocoque adrena handle. It’s also clinking off of stuff
    Last edited by Chief250; 01-29-2023 at 12:45 AM.

4. Member
    Actually my B’s are lighter than the A’s
    7”2 MH & 7”2 Hvy are 1/4 ounce lighter
    7”3 XH is about 1/8 ounce lighter
    2008 Stratos 201 Pro XL
    Evinrude 250

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydro870 View Post
    The B spinning rods are a full power higher than the label and the new handles are way better than the A, the 7’ L (actually a ML) is a a killer drop shot rod. The 7’2” ML (actually a M) is super versatile. I don’t have any of the new B casting rods, but I have several of the A’s. I’m not a big fan of the casting rod reel seats (which are the same on the B and now on the NRX also)…..the long stabbing triggers are not all that comfortable in my hand which is a personal thing. In my opinion, the thing that really separates Expride from the competition is the exceptional balance of their casting rods. Even the H and XH rods have great balance, better than other manufacturers M and MH. The worst attribute of Expride is the crappy one year limited warranty period. I have been getting a few of the new redesigned St. Croix LTB casting rods that are in the same price range, and honestly I think they give the Exprides a run for the money. The new LTBs are just as light, just as sensitive, decently balanced (not Expride balance) and the handles are really comfortable in my hand. Also, the LTBs have a 15 YEAR no questions asked warranty, thats a significant standout feature separating this rod from most of the other manufacturers. Like any rod line, there are specific models that are exceptional in both Expride and LTB.

I have just recently got a 7'2 ML Spinning Expride B. I read reviews that it fished like a M. I absolutely love everything about the rod EXCEPT that I can't get a hookset with a shaky head. It is a stellar rod other than that huge problem.

6. Member
    Not a rod listed, but I know from my experience the 6’10” M are different actions. I had the A and fished primarily jerkbaits on it but then decided to try others. That didn’t work so well so I picked up the B model and it’s nothing like the A. The A works the bait better imo, definitely softer. I do like the B for poppers though.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Talon65 View Post
    Not a rod listed, but I know from my experience the 6’10” M are different actions. I had the A and fished primarily jerkbaits on it but then decided to try others. That didn’t work so well so I picked up the B model and it’s nothing like the A. The A works the bait better imo, definitely softer. I do like the B for poppers though.
    I can echo this....I have no experience with the A, but i played around with a 6'10 B at the shows last winter and i would not throw jerkbaits on that rod. Too stiff and too fast.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceg4582 View Post
    I have just recently got a 7'2 ML Spinning Expride B. I read reviews that it fished like a M. I absolutely love everything about the rod EXCEPT that I can't get a hookset with a shaky head. It is a stellar rod other than that huge problem.
    I can see where that would be an issue. The 7’2” ML is not an extra fast action, it loads a little slower, so driving the hook through plastic could be a problem. However, it’s an excellent Ned rig, wacky rig, and drop shot rod, anything where you just apply pressure to set the hook.

9. Member
    I have a 6'10 ML and 7'2 ML spinning rods in the new Expride B. They both seem more like a medium. I am thinking about about getting the 7 ft L. Maybe that would more like a true ML. Anybody have experience with that rod?

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodster14 View Post
    I have a 6'10 ML and 7'2 ML spinning rods in the new Expride B. They both seem more like a medium.
    You think the 610ML spinning feels like a medium?

That thing is an absolute noodle lol - both A and B

11. Member
    The new 6’10 doesn’t feel at all like a noodle to me. The A version did. This one has a faster action and is stiffer. If it’s a ML, it’s a strong one.

12. Member
    I have a 6'10 ML and 7'2 ML spinning rods in the new Expride B. They both seem more like a medium. I am thinking about about getting the 7 ft L. Maybe that would more like a true ML. Anybody have experience with that rod?
    I have two of the 7’ Light B rods I like them so much for nose hook drop shots for Smallies in open water. Best sub $300 drop shot rod I have ever used, and also great for neds. It is ML, and maybe could even call it a ML+ because the tip can handle weights up to the 3/8 to 1/2 oz range.

13. Member
    The new 6’10 doesn’t feel at all like a noodle to me. The A version did. This one has a faster action and is stiffer. If it’s a ML, it’s a strong one.
    One of us needs to get our hands/eyes checked!

Here's the 610ML B on a small fish - 6lb leader, light drag. If that's a "strong ML" blank I've been confused my entire fishing life -