2023 Puma STS Review

I waited on a Puma STS for more than a year and previous to this hull I've mostly owned or have fished out of every model between an Eyra and a Jaguar. All are different and all have a special characteristic that another does not. Therefore, when it comes to choosing one or the other it becomes personal preference between layout, front deck width, or top end speed. They all ride well and all are the driest riding hulls on the market. Though, nothing can touch an STS hull (Puma/Jaguar) when it comes to ride and a Puma STS is likely my favorite thus far!

Here are the specifics....

• 250 Mercury 4S Pro XS and have ran both a 24p Fury 3 stock or 25p Fury 3 custom by Ronnie Gilbert. Top end speed thus far is 77.5 with the 25p and 76.3 with a 24 with one person. Hole shot is a little better with the 24. These speeds are good considering the weight on the bow. A Minn Kota 112 Ultrex with a 52" shaft, two Humminbird Helix 12's w/ 360 and mega live transducers. I am also running 3 wet cell batteries for trolling motor, 1 AGM battery for motor and electronics and dual Power Poles.
    • w/ 2 individuals and water in livewells, top end speed drops to 74.5.

While I am running a 25p Fury 3 that has been worked by Ronnie Gilbert, I would recommend a 23p or 24p Fury 3 for most. This hull has great acceleration and gets to top end speed way quicker than the Lynx.

A Puma STS is almost perfect! Two units on the bow without a special mount is awesome and slam latches are great too! If I could change anything, it would be adding a tray next to the ice cooler such as that in an Eyra. I also chose this boat with reflex floor in the cockpit and it may dry 1000 times faster than carpet, but I am not 100% sold on it thus far. There are no advantages in keeping clean.

If you have questions about this boat or others, feel free to reach out!

2. Member
    Love to see pics of the STS

3. Member
    Thanks for sharing. I ordered mine in June and was told 6-7 months. We’ll see if that’s accurate I guess.

Also went with the 250 Pro XS. I’ll be happy with anything over 75 with one person. I’m coming out of a Cougar, so I expect it to be a little slower. I’ll gladly take the trade for the wider deck.
    2023 Puma STS

4. Member
    Phil... is your choice to use traditional batteries (not lithium) for the purpose of adding weight to stern for improved performance? While lithiums greatly lighten the boat they can also negatively change the performance in some circumstances.

rick, lower weight is increased performance. People saying otherwise are not changing their setups enough. It does change the balance point, though setup will always overcome the limited change it makes. Realize people have limited resources to chase large variances in setup, propellers and heights.

And on boats sold annually or semi-annually the benefit of lithium goes to the secondary user as lead acid AGM variations are going to be fine for a couple of seasons. Charged well, and maintained, they (lead acid/AGM) should last somewhere over five seasons.

BCB

Quote Originally Posted by Rick McFaul View Post
    Phil... is your choice to use traditional batteries (not lithium) for the purpose of adding weight to stern for improved performance? While lithiums greatly lighten the boat they can also negatively change the performance in some circumstances.

6. Member
    Rick

The reason I choose conventional batteries is the reason pointed out above. The cost for lithium makes 0 sense for me. Yes I wouldn’t mind lithiums but at an extra 2 or 3 K I’d rather have something else. I’m also old school and have never had much problems with conventional batteries as I take care of them. I keep them charged and I keep fluid in them. And lastly if there is a problem I can go down the road and buy another on same day. Yes I am probably giving up a mph or so but I am ok with that.

7. Member
    Out of curiosity what RPM is the 24p getting?