Merc 4 Stroke Lower Unit Damage

2020 Merc 4stroke 225 Proxs
    2B691278
    Fury 24p

Does anyone know of a group that’s rebuilding the Merc 4 stoke lower units? I knocked my skeg almost completely off when I met a log running 70. My insurance co only wants to replace the housing but my Merc technician and Mercury doesn’t not recommend that and will not stand by the repair. Am I just better off buying a new lower unit?

Any insight would be great. Thanks

2. Member
    Have your insurance person talk to the technician so he can explain what it will take to keep the motor under your warranty.
    If they still deny it, do whatever it takes to satisfy Merc. Maybe the ins co will give you the rebuild $ and you can put that towards doing it right. Pricey? yep. But you know it will be whole again.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1fejj View Post
    2020 Merc 4stroke 225 Proxs
    2B691278
    Fury 24p

Does anyone know of a group that’s rebuilding the Merc 4 stoke lower units? I knocked my skeg almost completely off when I met a log running 70. My insurance co only wants to replace the housing but my Merc technician and Mercury doesn’t not recommend that and will not stand by the repair. Am I just better off buying a new lower unit?

Any insight would be great. Thanks
    Went through a similar situation about 4 years ago. Same song and dance about repairing a skeg. I asked the adjuster to call the Mercury dealer I use. Dealer sent him a SB (or something similar) stating that Mercury does not approve ANY repairs to my case. Insurance bought a new case and paid to have gears swapped over.
    IMO if you have warranty still in affect or the extended product protection offered by Mercury do not repair the skeg.
    Last edited by gehol; 12-09-2022 at 09:28 AM.

4. Member
    They want to replace housing or just skeg? If it’s the housing that’s the correct way if they just want to weld a skeg on then hold your ground I went through this last year and didn’t have any problem getting a new housing. They will reuse your internals as long as there is no damage.
    Bullet 21XRS 250 pro xs serial#2B775575

I went through this very scenario a few years ago. Initially, Progressive just wanted to replace the case and I was fine with that. When the tech opened up the case to swap the internals, they found a bent prop shaft and several teeth missing on gears. The tech informed the adjuster, he came out and looked at the damage again. He authorized a new replacement on the spot. You should not let your insurance drive the repair. Your tech should be doing that.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    In your case, Mercury would only have been standing behind the gearcase for the next 3 days (warranty expires on the 13th).

If your engine is still under Factory Warranty with a remaining period of 1 month or longer (or a Product Protection Plan), the insurance company WILL have to repair the engine back to factory WARRANTY specifications (with zero/no evidence of impact, whatsoever). If the housing is replaced (only) and another component later fails that was impact related, that's on your insurance to do an addendum-claim.

That being said- I've done a number of these myself. Mercury does not really recommend gearcase "rebuilding" as the preferred method of repair is a complete assembly unless it is something extremely simple. Very few tech's are trained in the art of building gearcases anymore, and even are committed enough to have the correct tooling.

And to add- these are moderately more intricate than yesterday's gearcases.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    In your case, Mercury would only have been standing behind the gearcase for the next 3 days (warranty expires on the 13th).

If your engine is still under Factory Warranty with a remaining period of 1 month or longer (or a Product Protection Plan), the insurance company WILL have to repair the engine back to factory WARRANTY specifications (with zero/no evidence of impact, whatsoever). If the housing is replaced (only) and another component later fails that was impact related, that's on your insurance to do an addendum-claim.

That being said- I've done a number of these myself. Mercury does not really recommend gearcase "rebuilding" as the preferred method of repair is a complete assembly unless it is something extremely simple. Very few tech's are trained in the art of building gearcases anymore, and even are committed enough to have the correct tooling.

And to add- these are moderately more intricate than yesterday's gearcases.
    Thanks for the information. The day I hit the log my motor was under factory warranty. That was over a month ago. Progressive has drug this out for weeks now. I run a body shop and this would NOT be acceptable in the automotive world. I’m going to file a ‘right to an appraisal’ and get this settled proper.

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

I can tell you that from my experience, the dealer is the key to making sure things are done correctly. A well-established dealer (with a highly qualified Master or Certified Tech) is the first step.

They're one of the few companies that has their own Speciality-Lines Adjusters, who are normally fair "when presented with supporting facts". It is, however, their job to save the company money where they can.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor