Question B.A.S.S Opens Elite Series Qualification Change

Posted this on the Potomac forum also....

Let me start off by saying I do not fish the BASS Opens, nor do I think I'd ever attempt to qualify for the BASS Elite Series. So in other words, I really have nothing in the issue, but thought it was a bad move on the part of BASS. Previously, you could qualify for the Elite Series if you fished a 3 tournament Division and did well enough to finish in the Top 5 of that division (I think). Now instead of just fishing the three tournaments in one division, BASS now requires you to fish all three divisions (9 tournaments) to be eligible for Elite Qualification status. I just don't see how a working guy can afford to take off a full week of leave to travel and practice for 9 tournaments, unless you happen to be self employed, have a wealthy family, or are well sponsored. I think this move by BASS pretty much eliminates most of the guys who would have aspired to the Elite rank. I think what you'll have left are sponsored pros (semi-pros) who only have fishing as their full-time job, and can run around the country to compete. BASS gave a bunch of reasons why they feel this is a good move, but I disagree.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight and it won't affect me, but just wonder how you all feel especially if you or someone you know had BASS Elite aspirations.
    Comment if you'd like, but don't argue because as I said before, it's not that important to me.

Thanks!
    Gilbert Brown
    Fredericksburg, Va
    Basscat Pantera II / Mercury 150 EFI

2. Member
    Popeyes got rid of onion rings. I know how you feel.
    Hang on. I'll help you in 77 minutes.

3. Member
    My thoughts are if you can’t do all 9 Opens how are you going to commit to the Elite schedule. I also feel it will keep the guys that do great in their region but not the other areas from qualifying and then just dropping out in a few years. Those are just my thoughts.
    Semper Fi

4. Member
    How is a working man going to fish the Elite series?

5. Member
    I could be totally wrong and I'm sure that I'll get corrected, but I thought that if one would win an Open, they would qualify for the classic, but would still be required to fish the other tournaments in that division. For the working man, they are better off fishing the BFL's and learning how to dominate those vice donating on the Open level. At the end of the day, it's only money and you only live once.
    2018 Bass Cat Lynx w/Suzuki 250SS.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vabass View Post
    Posted this on the Potomac forum also....

Let me start off by saying I do not fish the BASS Opens, nor do I think I'd ever attempt to qualify for the BASS Elite Series. So in other words, I really have nothing in the issue, but thought it was a bad move on the part of BASS. Previously, you could qualify for the Elite Series if you fished a 3 tournament Division and did well enough to finish in the Top 5 of that division (I think). Now instead of just fishing the three tournaments in one division, BASS now requires you to fish all three divisions (9 tournaments) to be eligible for Elite Qualification status. I just don't see how a working guy can afford to take off a full week of leave to travel and practice for 9 tournaments, unless you happen to be self employed, have a wealthy family, or are well sponsored. I think this move by BASS pretty much eliminates most of the guys who would have aspired to the Elite rank. I think what you'll have left are sponsored pros (semi-pros) who only have fishing as their full-time job, and can run around the country to compete. BASS gave a bunch of reasons why they feel this is a good move, but I disagree.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight and it won't affect me, but just wonder how you all feel especially if you or someone you know had BASS Elite aspirations.
    Comment if you'd like, but don't argue because as I said before, it's not that important to me.

Thanks!
    its just a reality check to keep those with dreams from turning into nightmares. Qualifying with just 3 events left too many unprepared for the task in front of them. Both mentally and financially.. I am fishing all in one division this year, but not for any of the reasons listed above. I have had my reality checks already. Lol .