Question B.A.S.S. Opens Elite Series Qualifications Change

Let me start off by saying I do not fish the BASS Opens, nor do I think I'd ever attempt to qualify for the BASS Elite Series. So in other words, I really have nothing in the issue, but thought it was a bad move on the part of BASS. Previously, you could qualify for the Elite Series if you fished a 3 tournament Division and did well enough to finish in the Top 5 of that division (I think). Now instead of just fishing the three tournaments in one division, BASS now requires you to fish all three divisions (9 tournaments) to be eligible for Elite Qualification status. I just don't see how a working guy can afford to take off a full week of leave to travel and practice for 9 tournaments, unless you happen to be self employed, have a wealthy family, or are well sponsored. I think this move by BASS pretty much eliminates most of the guys who would have aspired to the Elite rank. I think what you'll have left are sponsored pros (semi-pros) who only have fishing as their full-time job, and can run around the country to compete. BASS gave a bunch of reasons why they feel this is a good move, but I disagree.

Again, I don't have a dog in this fight and it won't affect me, but just wonder how you all feel especially if you or someone you know had BASS Elite aspirations.
    Comment if you'd like, but don't argue because as I said before, it's not that important to me.

Thanks!
    Gilbert Brown
    Fredericksburg, Va
    Basscat Pantera II / Mercury 150 EFI

2. mikesxpress
    How about the prospective Bass elite sticker boat guys all have to fish Oneida Lake in March for a 3 day elimination tournament only wearing red Speedo's? No practice days. Off limits for a month prior.

3. Member
    I think you're missing the point... but get it also. BASS just created a division that is no longer appealing to the REGIONAL angler, though that may be in the works, as they will now need to create a demand (new trail) for a true regional event, as the Opens just became a national trail. This year BASS had something like 90 anglers fish all 3 divisions. Next year that number is already over 150. HARDLY a "regional trail" considering there are only about 50-75 spots remaining in those 9 events for some poor schumck trying to fish an expensive "regional" trail. I do find it funny, as many who signed up because the "odds" of making it to the elites at 90-100 boaters are probably now shell shocked at the fact there will be close to 175 anglers that are competing for those coveted 9 spots...yeah the odds changed dramatically and MANY are in for a very disappointing and very expensive season!!! Many guys will go broke this year chasing those 9 spots.

With all that said...if you can't afford to fish the 9 event schedule as an open angler, you're not gonna fish it as an elite angler. Unfortunately the reality is that majority of folks you will see fishing the classic in the future will be people that dont need the money anyways. Just look at what the HS kids are fishing out of nowadays.
    Last edited by JayLaw; 11-26-2022 at 10:03 PM.

4. Member
    Yeah I just see BASS pushing the average working adult, pro fishing hopeful out of the equation. BASS had an article in the Top Bass Lakes issue where the changes were rationalized, but of course it was all one sided in support of the change.

5. Member
    Not sure what any of this has to do with the topic of this board "Potomac Fishing". I'm sure there are other boards on BBC that this topic could be discussed.

6. mikesxpress
    Damn Bernie your infrequent policing makes you popular everywhere you go on here.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1176495

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Damn Bernie your infrequent policing makes you popular everywhere you go on here.
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1176495
    Better be careful Mike, he may drive down from the BWI parking lot……

8. Member
    which is probably why this board is going down hill. Nothing relevant to potomac river fishing.

9. mikesxpress
    Quote Originally Posted by RonCat View Post
    Better be careful Mike, he may drive down from the BWI parking lot……

I'll keep and eye out.

10. Member
    If you can't afford (time and money)to fish the 9 tournaments, you can't afford to fish the elites. I think they are trying to put the time and financial pressure on the guys wanting to qualify upfront so if they do qualify the attrition will be less.
    2020 Ranger Z519 | 2020 Mercury Pro XS 225 4S | Helix 10SI | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Helix 10 MDI G3N | Noco GENIUS 10X4
    Fury 3 22P True Pitched | Power Pole Pro 2's | Ghost TM | Mega 360 | MEGA LIVE | Atlas 8in Jack Plate | Trick Step | 3X Amped 80ah Lithiums

11. Member
    I think there are like 182 signed up for all 9 as of now. Please enlighten me on where these people work to get off that much in a year. Much less the money this will cost hell didn't know the economy was doing so well.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I think there are like 182 signed up for all 9 as of now. Please enlighten me on where these people work to get off that much in a year. Much less the money this will cost hell didn't know the economy was doing so well.
    There are plenty of people with family $$$, I know a few who pursue things other than fishing, with no real chance IMO of making it to the big leagues. Others will max out a bunch of credit cards. Am guessing if you watch, those that don’t qualify in 2023 won’t be around for 2024.

There are plenty more guys that have their own established business and can go fishing anytime they want. Thats one of the reasons they have gotten good and feel they have a chance doing well in the Opens.
    2000 Javelin Renegade 20 DC.
    Strong men create easy times, Easy times create weak men & weak men create hard times. Sheikh Rashid bin Saeed Al Maktoum
    In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.
    In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings. "Author Unknown"
    In 2021 18-40 year old's want to and work to cancel you out if you have a different opinion.

14. Member
    The Opens are now just an Elite qualifier trail. I believe 170 plus have already signed up for all 9 tournaments and BASS hasn't even issued a payout plan for the events. Many that have signed up are disgruntled anglers from the MLF Tacklewarehouse tour that was also changed into qualifier trail for the MLF Bass Pro series. Financially it makes zero sense. Hopefully BASS comes out with a weekend series type trail and mid level regional trail where the sole goal isn't to make the Elites