Re lining rod locker

Looking for a recommendation for some material to reline my rod locker with. It had short knap carpet in it originally, but mice decided to make a nest in there and ruin the carpet with pi... and sh.... So I just tore it out. Looking for some different material options.

Was looking at maybe thin rubber, or maybe a thin foam, so if that happens again it'll be easier to clean, and won't tear up my rods and reels.

Any reccomendations are welcome. Thanks.

2. Member
    I guess it depends on what you want/need. Besides aesthetics it really doesn’t serve purpose, unless now you want it to. If you wanted something in case something falls/drops then a foam similar to a yoga mat material would work. If you want easy to clean a thin rubber. If you want it to match when you open it up then re carpet. I might suggest to pimp it out, mirror the entire locker, add lights and a disco ball on the lid Whatever route you go at least it shouldn’t cost too much besides time.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I guess it depends on what you want/need. Besides aesthetics it really doesn’t serve purpose, unless now you want it to. If you wanted something in case something falls/drops then a foam similar to a yoga mat material would work. If you want easy to clean a thin rubber. If you want it to match when you open it up then re carpet. I might suggest to pimp it out, mirror the entire locker, add lights and a disco ball on the lid Whatever route you go at least it shouldn’t cost too much besides time.
    That plus you need a switch on the hatch cover to turn the stuff on when you open the lid. Don't forget the music.

You could use an EVA foam flooring like they use for the cockpit floor
    "The handicapped angler"

5. Member
    A rubber mat would work great. Just cut it to fit.

Spray it or roll it on with the DIY Rhino liner stuff.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil Mo View Post
    A rubber mat would work great. Just cut it to fit.
    Definitely on my list, I have some toolbox liner material that may work, but I'd probably have to double up on it to get good padding.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    Spray it or roll it on with the DIY Rhino liner stuff.
    I had thought about this as well, my only concern is if it would be to rough, and scratch up my gear?

9. New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar
    I would just re-rug it myself cheap enough and easy , keep some dryer sheets in there for the critters
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

1/8” thick ribbed rubber mat works exceptionally well. Install it with the ribs running front to back of the rod locker. Rods slide in/out easily, and other stuff stays put. I used 3M spray adhesive to install mine. I believe it was 3M #77.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

11. Member
    If you don't go back with carpet, or something soft and rods are stacked on each other remember the ones on the bottom are going to get a bad rash on the reels, unless you have reel covers.

12. Member
    Hydroturf

13. Member
    Don’t spray or roll Rhino Liner type stuff. The previous owner of my tin did this on the decks. It is rough on your rods/reels. As I replace portions of my decking, I’m getting rid of that stuff and putting in hydroturf.

14. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

15. Member
    Many different EVA foams similar to sea dek available on amazon. Would think that it would be perfect for a rod locker.

16. Member
    Cover everything clean it good and flex seal the bottom and sides.

17. Member
    Used yoga mat purchased on Amazon with adhesive spray on a project rig (2001 X19). Worked great! Obviously, cut to fit. Very similar to the stuff mactlman posted on Amazon, although the adhesive variety would save that step!!! Good find!

18. Member
    What's that suff Ranger Boats use in there boats now. Don't they use carpet any more.

Be a good idea to save the carpet you ripped out... and use it as a pattern for the new material of your choice.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!