SHO 250 - White Smoke at start up

SHO 250 blew white smoke at a start up for first time. 2012 motor/500 hrs. original power head. Oil changed last January. Checked the oil and found absolutely zero oil made or consumed since them.

Smoke dissipated after starting a few times and seems to be OK now. Feels fine at about 5700 rpm and jumps on plane.

Any ideas? A little scary since its not happened before.
    Last edited by ElVon; 11-26-2022 at 01:25 PM.

2. Member
    what yr model is it they generally dont puff smoke long.

Outside temp?
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

4. Member
    run compression on it an see where its at all of them i have seen do that dont do it long.

5. Member
    I had that happen a few times in my 2018 SHO200. Nothing ever came to it and I sold that boat and motor with over 300 hours on it in 3 years. If the oil was clean shouldn't be an issue unless it keeps happening.
    2021 Skeeter ZX225
    2021 Yamaha SHO 225 VF225LA

6. Member
    Just check the oil if there are no obvious signs of water your good!

7. Member
    Did you leave it trimmed all the way down where a bit of oil got past the rings? That would be my guess. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

8. bullyfish
    If the motor is trimmed all the way down fishing a long time without starting oil gets in the Cylinders does it with most of them no big deal

9. Member
    2016 with 300ish hours blew white smoke at startup but would thin out after warm up. It was still running fine and had full power out of the hole and top end.

An easy check is to open the oil fill cap and look inside the cap. If it's foamy inside the cap it's most likely water in the oil and will need further diagnosis. Sometimes the dipstick will not show foamy oil but the cap will.

The shop ran this test..
    Drained the oil and left the oil drain plug out
    Hooked up water to the flush port and ran the water for about 15min at which time water started dripping out of the oil drain.

Shop noted water intrusion and Yamaha replaced the powerhead under warranty.

If the oil fill cap is not foamy on the inside, i'd just chalk it up to the motor having a senior moment.

10. Member
    Well oil is clean and motor seems to be running well. I did store the motor trimmed down last time so maybe that was the issue.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Did you leave it trimmed all the way down where a bit of oil got past the rings? That would be my guess. CJ
    ^^^^This!!